The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 10, 2009, 01:02 AM   #1
Padawan2009

Padawan seeking Reloading Master (or at least someone who knows what they are doing)

I live in Northern VA and I am seeking someone to show me the ropes to reloading. I use 40S&W and 30-06, Mostly the 40. Before I spend all the time and money in setting up a station I would like to get some hands on experience. I am military trained and not afraid to work. I work on the weekends when all the classes are given out here. I would appreciate any help people could give me.
Old August 10, 2009, 01:35 AM   #2
Shoney

A reloading master seeking you are!

Experience hands on to get you are wanting? Jail time for that the Empire will give.

Classes on weekends are given out????? Any time for classes ask, the forum for you answer it will.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old August 10, 2009, 08:18 AM   #3
eastbank

what a intro to the forum the new man received. if i was in your area i would try and help you get rolling in reloading, go to a local shooting range and strike up a conversation with a few shooters,i,m sure some one there knows a reloader you could meet and talk about starting up in loading. good luck,eastbank.
Old August 10, 2009, 08:46 AM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

Problem is, young padawan, those of us in Northern Virginia have forseen that you will become one with the dark side of the powder, turn on us, and become Darth Boolit.

That's a risk we don't want to take.

I'm in Fairfax. I'd be happy to show you the whys and wherefors.

I'm also about to embark on a rather intensive two week loading session to get ready for vacation.

Reloading isn't difficult. It's just attention to the details.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old August 10, 2009, 09:17 AM   #5
eaglesnester

Learning the Ropes

I am retired U.S. Navy and an expat US citizen living in the northern interior of B.C. Canada. I got into big game hunting and reloading after I moved up here in 2004. Had never even seen anybody reload a boolett before I started reloading. I asked around about the best reloading kit and was told by everybody I asked, said, "get a RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Master Reloading Kit". So I did. The RCBS kit has everything you need to get started except for powder, bullets, primers, and reloading dies for your particular round. The kit has a very good manual, "Speer Reloading Manual #14" All you need do is read the manual, carefully follow their directions and you will be fine. Later on you will want to add a case master gauge tool to check for run out, case neck thickness, and incipient case head seperation. You will also want to add a powder tickler, and a set of digital vernear calipers. Also you will want a Stoney Point AOL measuring tool. There is no end to the tools and gadgets that you can purchase for your reloading bench. Some of em are useful and some of em are hype and useless.

Cheers & Tighter Groups: Eaglesnester
Old August 10, 2009, 10:07 PM   #6
Padawan2009

Thank you all for your responses Mike lives in my area and would probably be the best bet. Dark Boolit or not .
Old August 10, 2009, 11:55 PM   #7
Mike Irwin
Staff

The next couple of days are bad for me, but I'll give you a call.

I don't get home from work until around 5 p.m. most days.

If you can deal with a very messy house and a very large and hairy dog, you'll do fine at my place.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old August 11, 2009, 12:17 AM   #8
Padawan2009

Large hairy dogs especially dumb ones have always had a place in my heart. I grew up with a 130 pound German Shepard very scarry (Dumb as a brick.) He was the type of dog you acted like you threw a ball and he didn't stop running after it, just kept going waiting for it to land. I look forward to hearing from you.
Old August 11, 2009, 05:34 AM   #9
Uncle Buck

Mike, Will he have to call you "Master"? A few of us want to know.
Old August 11, 2009, 12:14 PM   #10
Scorch

Quote:
Mike, Will he have to call you "Master"?
Just call him sifu.
Old August 11, 2009, 01:05 PM   #11
kle

I'm in Chantilly and I load for .38 Special right now...soon I'll add .357 Magnum, .45ACP/AR, and .44 Special/Magnum, too (I've got all the components and equipment).

I learned how to reload from a friend and his setup over in Springfield. It isn't difficult to learn, it's just a process. Just gotta pay attention when doing certain things (namely, handling powder and primers, and taking care not to seat bullets upside down). And of course, making sure you don't over/under-charge a case.

Other than that, no big deal.