The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 27, 2018, 01:00 PM   #26
Cyanide971

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighValleyRanch View Post
^^^^^^
Is that a .38 or .357 LCR?
.357, just haven’t put any of that through it yet since I got a great deal on several boxes of that aforementioned .38 +P at my LGS.
Old June 27, 2018, 01:05 PM   #27
HighValleyRanch

Let us know how those g10 grips work out for some mid range .357 loads. I found that the rubber hogue grips with the cushion was the most comfortable.
Old June 27, 2018, 01:48 PM   #28
Nanuk

I had a 360 PD. I shot it alot with magnums. It went back to Smith twice for new frames. They are not designed to eat a diet of magnums.

I laugh at at all the big tough guys that cry about shooting a light magnum. Yup it stings, but it stings more on the other end.

The are not finnicky at all, unless you are talking about bullet pull.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old June 28, 2018, 09:18 PM   #29
TimW77

USELESS ankle holsters

"No I have never been in a real situation where I needed to draw from an ankle holster. Got any advice?"

An ankle holster is useless unless your attacker will stop long enough for you to tie your shoes or kiss your ass good-bye!!!

T.
Old June 28, 2018, 11:28 PM   #30
Cosmodragoon

I don't use an ankle holster but there are some cases where it could be helpful. For instance, you might be seated in such a way where it beats some version of belt carry. You might be in a scuffle such that you can get a hand down to your ankle. Heck, you might even be seated, kneeling, crouched, etc. in some kind of robbery or hostage situation. These events are rare but could happen. It's just that they are arguably more rare than the set of cases in which more common carry positions are more helpful.
Old June 29, 2018, 06:54 AM   #31
Nanuk

Ankle holster, no thanks... Maybe to carry a 3rd pistol. I had a friend that was ambushed, his only gun was a J frame in an ankle holster. He was shot 3 times before he could get to his gun.
Old June 29, 2018, 11:22 AM   #32
labnoti

There isn't a holster that can prevent someone from getting the drop on you.

Nevertheless, I can see drawing from an ankle holster not working for some people. For others, with good technique, it can be very fast. The fastest technique is to bring the leg up and the hand down at the same time. A big advantage is the holster is pointed in the direction of the target before the gun is even drawn. I am totally convinced from a timer beep to muzzle on target it is as fast as any other technique where a concealment garment must be swept.

Of course, reality is not always like practice. In some circumstances, a person would drop or take cover or concealment before they attempt to draw. Getting down before you draw is slower to get the muzzle on target, but a person may do it anyway, because drawing isn't the only thing we think about. There are some circumstances where ankles are inaccessible. One person wrote about needing to draw when being pressed in a large crowd. But ankle holsters are easier for some to reach when seated in a car compared to carry options where one is sitting on the gun.

With ankle carry it is so easy to achieve concealment without printing even when you're wearing nothing more than a shirt and pants and you can even tuck the shirt in. Quick-draw isn't the only concern, especially for those who carry to "have and not need rather than need and not have." It is a contingency, and compromises are made, those associated with ankle carry being the least of several others.
Old June 29, 2018, 11:34 AM   #33
cslinger

Quote:
The fastest technique is to bring the leg up and the hand down at the same time. A big advantage is the holster is pointed
Are you doing a Rockette kick towards your enemy? I cannot see how this could work any other way unless you are lying on your back???

Like has been said ankle holsters are for backup or super discrete carry. Not every conceivable situation puts you as the primary ambushee so to speak yet you could still be involved.
Old June 29, 2018, 10:58 PM   #34
Cosmodragoon

I'd be interested to see this special technique demonstrated. Got a link?
Old June 30, 2018, 12:25 PM   #35
Nanuk

Quote:
I'd be interested to see this special technique demonstrated. Got a link?
I think Jackie Chan did it.
Old June 30, 2018, 01:20 PM   #36
HighValleyRanch

I think the original thread got kick sideways by a round house kick with an ankle holster attached!LOL
Old July 21, 2018, 06:21 PM   #37
Dobe

Is the Smith 340PD that special?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbite View Post
I absolutely HATE this statement. Its not about feeling the recoil, its about it interfering with your willingness and ability to practice enough with the gun to be proficient in its use under stress.

I have one of the Titanium framed 38spl guns. It is unpleasant thru the first cylinder. By cylinder #3... im done. Thats only 15 rounds. Not nearly enough to ingrain the skills needed to be efficient with these hard to shoot guns.

Ive always viewed the J frames as expert guns. Like, you REALLY have to know what youre doing to shoot them well. These ultra-light versions are the tip of that spear

The problem is in dealing with the autonomic nervous system. If you practice with an abusing handgun, you’ll learn to flinch. And just like someone who would get slapped everyday, you’ll still flinch when pulling the trigger. It’s unconscious reflexes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Dobe; July 22, 2018 at 06:17 PM.
Old July 24, 2018, 08:59 AM   #38
jfruser

I have shot S&W scandium J-frames with .38spl loads such as 130gr FMJ and 158gr in +P and std pressure. Not fun. I would think .357 would be even more unfun. For those that can, God bless you.

I would think that the S&W scandium alloy J-frames would be about perfect to mate with the old 148gr HBWC such as the Federal Gold Match. My wife shoots those out of a slightly heavier alloy revolver (17oz) and the recoil is manageable enough for her to get in some practice. I generally prefer the FBI load or sportier analogs from Buff Bore or Underwood, but the target wadcutter keeps calling my name.

And for the OP, I am not sure if he is kidding writing about the "rare Gen 1 Glock 17." Glocks are competent quality shooting appliances, but none of them are noteworthy. Might as well talk about that "rare Toyota Camry 4-cyl."
Old July 24, 2018, 09:08 AM   #39
Glenn E. Meyer

Not the autonomic nervous system. Just a correction.
Old July 24, 2018, 09:13 AM   #40
HighValleyRanch

Quote:
And for the OP, I am not sure if he is kidding writing about the "rare Gen 1 Glock 17." Glocks are competent quality shooting appliances, but none of them are noteworthy. Might as well talk about that "rare Toyota Camry 4-cyl."
Well, I sold that 1st gen for much more than the newest latest models, so yes, some people are collecting them.

Remember how common place Volkswagons were? We were not wealthy, so that's all we drove in the old days. But you see how much a Kombi van is going for these days. I would be a millionaire if I had kept all my VW's from the past!

Anyways, I did pass on that 340PD beause it didn't do anything that my LCR could.
Old July 24, 2018, 04:45 PM   #41
Dobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
Not the autonomic nervous system. Just a correction.

I believe it is the sympathetic nervous system, which is a sub branch or part of the autonomic system. The bottom line, the reactions such as a flinch are not always conscious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old July 24, 2018, 08:41 PM   #42
SmokeyLonesome

Sometimes I ankle carry along with my sidearm. So yeah, I don't think having a BUG is a bad idea.
Old July 24, 2018, 08:45 PM   #43
SmokeyLonesome

Thanks for the Heads up!

Hope all goes well.
Old August 2, 2018, 04:29 PM   #44
glenspen

I put 10 rounds of Buffalo Bore 357 Magnum Short Barrel 125 Grain Barnes TAC-XP Hollow Point Low Flash rounds through mine today....recoil was intense but manageable...this will be my carry round going forwards.

Felt way less intense than the Winchester 125g 357 that I was plinking with in the same session
Old August 2, 2018, 05:25 PM   #45
shurshot

For someone who is in their vehicle often (travel, work, etc.), I would suspect an ankle holster would be MUCH easier to draw from during an attempted car jacking, or other assualt than an IWB, OWB, or a pocket while seated and buckled in. An ankle holster makes sense to me as a carry system for a backup gun, but not for a primary CCW.
Old August 3, 2018, 12:10 PM   #46
Glenn E. Meyer

Not to divert but the sympathetic system is not involved in conditioned motor responses. The flinch is one of those. It's coming out of the motor systems. Sympathetic is involved in flight or fight but doesn't generate a motor response.