The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 11, 2013, 07:47 PM   #1
Canardman

Looking for special .45acp load data

I just came into a butt-load of 185gr GDHP .45 bullets. I have quite a bit of WST and 800-X. I really don't have a use for the 800-X and would like to use it for some "play time" rounds. Anyone have good data for both? I will be shooting them from a Ruger Blackhawk.
Thanks, C-Man.
Old April 11, 2013, 08:56 PM   #2
Misssissippi Dave

WST will give you nice mild loads with 185 grain JHP. I use 5.2. to 5.4 grains of WST for my loads. There was nothing to be gained going over 5.4 grains of WST in my opinion. This is the load I am using now. If you are wanting higher speeds you would do better with WSF.

I don't care for 700X or 800X since they don't measure well in my powder measure. I use progressive presses. You can get very accurate loads with 700X and 800X. I have use them but had to weigh each charge to get them right. I won't be using those powders again in pistol loads so I don't have the load data any more. I think 700X was close to 5 grains and 800X probably around 8.5 grains. Since I don't have it written down I may be way off on what I used for those powders.
Old April 11, 2013, 09:58 PM   #3

Loading 185 gr. Gold Dots with WST would pretty much be a waste of a good bullet because WST will fall short of factory load performance by a pretty good deal. Cast lead bullets? WST is fine for that. I would get another powder if I were you, or take the painstaking requirements of using 800-X because it is a very large FLAKE propellant that meters poorly. What I use for good velocity with any .45 ACP JHP is Ramshot Silhouette where you can go as high as +P factory load velocity while staying under the 21,000 PSI pressure level for standard pressure .45 ACP. www.ramshot.com 800-X will provide very good velocity potential though, if you can put up with its poor metering characteristics.
Old April 12, 2013, 09:31 PM   #4
Misssissippi Dave

You can load those gold dot to be accurate with WST but if you are expecting them to expand good luck. It is much to fast burning to get you there. AA5, Pistol Powder and Unique are also powders you can use to get the speed up enough for them to expand properly.

When just punching paper targets you might find someone willing to give you a good exchange for some Montana Gold bullets or possibly PD's. You should be able to get better than a one for one trade.

I am a paper puncher. I tend to forget not all bullets are designed to put holes in paper. The bullets you have are designed for SD purposes.
Old April 14, 2013, 07:45 AM   #5
pmeisel

Ken Waters, in Pet Loads, really liked 800X. He recommended 7 grains, regardless of bullet weight, and he tested 185 grains up to 230 grains. He picked it as his favorite overall 45 ACP load.
Old April 14, 2013, 08:00 AM   #6
Canardman

Thanks Paul! Another question... I have a Speer book, a Hodgdon magazine, and the hodgdon website for my loading references. I'm sure it's been asked before, but what would be the next book suggestion? I've looked at Hornady's book and it wasn't very impressive. Looking for a good universal book.
Thanks, Brent.
Old April 14, 2013, 09:33 AM   #7
pmeisel

I have had a couple different editions of the Lyman manual, which I really like. The Lee manual is OK.

Lyman ran their own tests. Lee, I am told, compiled data from other people. But he got a lot of it.

Since getting those two I have rarely used the Speer or Hornady manuals which I also have.

It's not a manual, but if you like reading the thinking behind the testing, it's hard to beat Ken Waters' Pet Loads book. It sits next to my study table and I refer to it often, sometimes to read his thoughts about calibers I may never own. Great reading if you like that sort of thing. Only thing is, some of the data is 40 years old or more....
Old April 14, 2013, 05:49 PM   #8
superspirit

I'll second the Lyman manual, I like it the best.
Old April 18, 2013, 09:39 PM   #9
Canardman

Paul, Spot on on the 800-X info! That makes a very nice round for both the 200g FPJ's and 185gr GDJP. Sadly, I discovered that I can not shoot the FPJ's out of my revolver. The bullet is too big (.4515) and has to be forced into the cylinder. I didn't want to chance a problem, so they are dedicated to my auto.
Old April 19, 2013, 09:02 PM   #10
hgmeyer

Winchester Load Data for WST

Winchester Load Data for WST is as follows (From The Complete Reloading for the .45 ACP by Loadbooks USA):

WST for the Win 185gr JSWC 4.3grs for 745 fps ( 13,400psi) from a 5" barrel and 5.3 grs for 890fps (19,000psi)

AS ALWAYS START LOW AND WORK YOUR WAY UP---NEVER EXCEED MAX LOADS (Here, 5.3grs)