The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 28, 2013, 03:54 PM   #1
TailGator

New carrier, new pistol

My wife of 30 years was motivated by some recent events to start carrying. She is a moderately good shot and understands safety, having gone to the range with me a few times a year for these last few decades. She is going to do the paperwork for a permit and start carrying regularly, to my considerable satisfaction and relief.

That news also meant a new pistol in the stable. She wanted something smaller and more concealable than what we currently have. She knows enough about pistols to be selective. Unable to find a 9 mm that was both concealable for her and comfortable at the range, she decided to downsize to a .380. After looking at several of the current offerings she settled on the Sig P238. We bought it yesterday, had a cleaning and familiarization session last evening, and went to the range today.

Sweet little pistol, that. It is as soft a shooter as any of the little palm-sized .380s that I have shot. Fit and finish are excellent, as is function. Accuracy is good and improved with practice (the usual issues of getting used to a new trigger, grip, etc.). It is a cute little number, too. (Cute was important to her, and lest we be tempted to make fun, remember how many times people gripe about the looks of Glocks and compliment nice 1911s, Berettas, and so on.)

My lovely lady is pleased, so daddy is happy, too.
Old March 28, 2013, 04:06 PM   #2
Microgunner

I too think the P238 is a good choice.
Congratulations to her and you.
Old March 29, 2013, 09:45 AM   #3
LynnTX

Sounds like a win - win! That is a good choice for her.
Old March 29, 2013, 11:37 AM   #4
Garycw

New carrier, new pistol

I highly recommend & love mine. Came with the extended mag & hogue grip. Also with the laser & holster which neither will be used.
I'd like to own every SIG model out there.

Sent from iPhone
Old March 29, 2013, 01:30 PM   #5
redhologram

Great pistol and good for her! I have a thread down the page somewhere announcing that I just got a p238 (that is now my primary carry pistol for summer weather) and p938 for grins and giggles until cool weather comes back around.
It completely disappears under even my closest fitting tops. The grip doesn't stick me when I bend over or sit down. Shooting it is fun and it is very accurate and I love the sights.
She won't regret her choice I'm sure.
Old March 29, 2013, 01:57 PM   #6
shouldazagged

"My lovely lady is pleased, so daddy is happy, too."

The wife of a late friend of mine had a plaque in her kitchen that said, "When Mama ain't happy, ain't NOBODY happy." Her husband bought it for her, and they both knew it was a joke.

Your wife sounds like a classy lady.