The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 27, 2000, 11:44 PM   #1
saands

I have been loading for quite a while and shoot either indoors (well lit range) or outdoors during the day. People have made quite a fuss about flash and I was wondering if there are any powders that are inherently "low flashers" or if it is just a matter of picking a powder and load that completely burns before the bullet exits. While this seems possible out of a rifle ... is it, out of a 3 to 4 inch pistol barrel? I typically use BullsEye or PowerPistol for my .40 and 9mm and 2400 for my .357 ... I know the 2400 out of a 6" .357 is a flame thrower, but that one is way too much fun to leave! I'm more interested in the 9mm and .40 powders.

Thanks,
Saands

ps ... please offer a theory if speculation is involved ;>)
Old November 28, 2000, 08:38 AM   #2
WESHOOT2

Fact= the Vihtavuori Oy line is generally 'low-flash', and for 9 and 40 best is W-W WAP (if you can find it).

HS6 and AA5 have some applications here, too.
Old November 28, 2000, 09:03 PM   #3
saands

WESHOOT2 -
Thanks for the input ... I might have to dig up some of the VV powders ... I've never seen them for sale locally, but maybe I'll find them if I keep my eyes open in my travels. Do you have any explanation for their tendency to not flash as much? I'll look to see if there is a web site for them. The availability of info from Alliant is one of the reasons that I use their stuff so much.

Thanks,
Saands
Old November 28, 2000, 10:15 PM   #4
WESHOOT2

saands,

yeah, there's a bunch of reasons (single-based, blah, blah, blah) but try it yourself.

Vihta powders available from numerous on-line sources like http://www.grafs.com
Old November 29, 2000, 01:22 PM   #5
Tom Matiska

My experience with the 44 Mag is that there is a big difference in flash between fast and slow burning powders when the loads are fired out of a Marlin 1894 with a 20" barrel.

As for my 7.5" revolver, full 44 Mag loads are all flame throwers. 44 Special loads are more "polite", but even those are "flamethrowers" when fired from my 2.5" snubbie.

Tom
Old November 30, 2000, 10:13 AM   #6
LIProgun

I agree that VV powders and WAP are pretty good for low flash. WW 296 in magnum loads is not bad either.

OTOH, Blue Dot and Power Pistol can be flame throwers.
Old November 30, 2000, 11:47 PM   #7
Airborne

I shoot indoors in the winter months, so one of my primary concerns in powder selection (next to accuracy) are how clean they burn (as in smoke), flash, and odor. The best 9mm powder for everything I've mentioned for me is AA #7. It's also extremely clean in the gun. I haven't tried them all of course, as that would be rediculous, but I have tried a bunch. The worst would have to be AA #2. Smokiest stuff I've ever loaded. Universal Clays is also very good, and I'm sure there are others. I just stopped looking when I found what worked for me. Enjoy your quest!
SM
Old December 2, 2000, 11:27 AM   #8
viper45

power pistol with light loads isn't bad, bullseye is like a flash bulb and stinks, but its still my favorite.