The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 10, 2008, 04:15 PM   #1
Raider2000

My afternoon with my Bobcat

Well now that I have my CVA Bobcat back from my friend "I traded him my Traditions Yukon for my Bobcat back since he liked the inline better" & Last week end I took it out with him to get a feel for the old girl since this'll be my hunting gun.
Man did she like the .490 .015 PRB's with 80gr. of 777, from the bench I was hitting real good at 50 & 100 yards "well as good as my eyes seeing through the sights" but I thought why not get a mold for .495 & some patches in .010 to see what she'll do conciddering that the longest shot I'd probably take is 75 yards max any way here in Louisa co. Virginia.

I added the brass nipple shield to help keep the lock area clean & ordered a unfinished wood stock for it to hopefully help in the recoil & because this plastic stock that came with it is just BUT UGLY AS ANYTHING.

Today I carried 18 of my cast .495 182gr. balls some .010 lubed patches & 50cal lubed wads Remington #11 caps & my flask I use for the 777.

Loaded 90gr. this time of 777 to see if I can keep a good group & hope that this load will be accurate enough with a decent punch for Deer & maybe an occasional Black Bear "within resonable distance."
All my shots were off hand because the bench was allready full of shooters & I wanted to see if I can hold steady enough for shooting this light little thing.

Well this thing shoots great conciddering that it was brutal on my sholder with 90gr. of 777 & I can hit pretty good at 50 yards making an OK off hand grouping missing 2 out of 10 shots "need more time on the range to tweak it & me" & at 100 yards it was almost impossible to see the pie plate with the sights but I did hit it 2 out of 3 times then I ran out of powder, I need a bigger flask for 777.

For a 13 year old cheap smoke pole w/ 1:48 rifling I don't think I did too bad although I do admit I need more time with her to get her grouping better but I think the wood stock once I get it & fit and finish it will make a difference on this as well.

Well what do y-all think?
Any advise will be greatfuly welcome..
Old May 10, 2008, 04:24 PM   #2
Hawg

Any time you can dump an inline for a sidelock it's a good deal. I think you need to bench it so you'll know what it's really doing.
Old May 10, 2008, 04:41 PM   #3
Raider2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg Haggen
Any time you can dump an inline for a sidelock it's a good deal. I think you need to bench it so you'll know what it's really doing.
Agreed to both accounts.
I thought I would like the Yukon but it wasn't me & since my bud liked it I thought why not trade for a better IMO rifle.
My next time will deffinitly be on the bench, I wanted to see what I can do as well as get some shots in before it starts raining again, but I need to get a bigger flask because 13 shots is all it had in it & it was full!!!!
Old May 10, 2008, 09:58 PM   #4
Dezynco

Back a couple of years ago, I decided to get back into muzzle loading. I was in Wal-Mart, they had a CVA Bobcat on the shelf for $54.95 + tax! I couldn't resist! It's a great shooting little rifle with PRB's and about 65 grains of 777. Shoots even better with real black powder. I figgure it's a good 50 yard gun, my results are about the same as yours - I can put five shots in a paper plate, offhand at 50 yards. Best $60.00 I ever spent, and I don't mind knocking it around hunting.
Old May 11, 2008, 05:39 AM   #5
RoaringBull

I am waiting on some letterhead from CVA so that they can (hopefully) donate some refurb rifles to our group. Hopefully they will be these.
Old May 11, 2008, 06:28 AM   #6
Raider2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaringBull
I am waiting on some letterhead from CVA so that they can (hopefully) donate some refurb rifles to our group. Hopefully they will be these.
Mine is deffinitly a pretty good shooter "as long as I do my part" & that 1:48 twist rifling seems to do very well for PRB & conicals, when I gave it to my friend 10 years ago I was shooting a 320gr. Lee R.E.A.L. conical through it using 75gr. FFFG Goex & was doing quite well at 100 yards with it.

I'm not sure though if CVA still makes this rifle their web sight only showes the inline stuff, I know the Traditions Deer Hunter is near identicle so you may want to contact them as well.
Old May 11, 2008, 07:25 PM   #7
RoaringBull

Quote:
I'm not sure though if CVA still makes this rifle their web sight only showes the inline stuff, I know the Traditions Deer Hunter is near identicle so you may want to contact them as well.
I got to know one of the customer service reps in dealing with getting a new lock on my boys rifle. I sent them an email today, so I'm waiting on the reply.