The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 27, 2006, 01:40 AM   #1
glockopop

I've hit a few bumps in the road...

I've got a Lee Handpress, and I'm learning how to use it. For example, right when I first got it I sized and deprimed a couple hundred cases and then last night realized that I had done it completely wrong. I've just got a few newbie questions. How do you align the bullet in the case mouth before seating it? How much do I need to bell out the case mouth before seating the bullet? What is the proper technique to using a dial caliper (tight around the cartridge, just snug, etc.)? Is there anything I need to be measuring other than OAL and charge weights? Any other insights and advice for a total novice would be greatly useful. BTW, load I'm (going to be) using is 5.0gr. of VV N320, Winchester primers, Winchester once-fired brass, 200gr. Shooters Connection LSWC, 1.250 OAL in a Wilson 1911.
Old September 27, 2006, 01:45 AM   #2
tINY

Get a reloading manual with a tutorial - it's well worth it.

-tINY

Old September 27, 2006, 07:20 AM   #3
BigO01

I would strongly suggest that you at least get this Lee kit that comes with a reloading manual .

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=820810

Add a set of dies and with shipping it will be the best $120-130 you will ever spend to reload .

If bench space is limited go to a hardware store and buy a small work stand/bench , that is what I did and my reloading setup is very compact and benches like this are about $30 .

Mine is similar to this http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...125&lpage=none
Old September 27, 2006, 08:33 AM   #4
Alakar

I'm a newbie too, and I would highly recommend this manual:

http://www.amazon.com/ABCs-Reloading...e=UTF8&s=books

It has tons of info, is laid out in a logical manner and has lots of pictures to go with the info described.
Old September 27, 2006, 10:15 AM   #5
cpaspr

Well, to answer your questions,

or try to anyway.

I don't have a Lee hand press (use RCBS single stage), but the basics are the basics, regardless of setup.

You only need to bell the case just enough to start the bullet. Usually, if I can actually see the bell, that's enough. Then you simply set the bullet on top of the case, down into the bell, and activate the press. Sometimes I need to realign a little as I use the press, because the bullet tipped a little, but once it's inside the die it will line up perfectly fine.

You didn't mention caliber, but it appears to be .45 ACP from the other info given. All of the info below is based on that assumption.

My manual doesn't show lead bullets (Sierra doesn't make them) but a comparable FPJ (flat point jacketed) bullet would attain 750 fps with that combination. Max load for the FPJ is 6.0 gr of N320 going 900fps. For what it's worth, since lead and jacketed bullets are not interchangable in loadings (lead needs less powder to attain the same velocities).

Here's the link to vihtavuori's web site, where you can download their info: http://www.vihtavuori-lapua.com/

Regarding the calipers, you just want to snug them up. You don't want to apply so much pressure to the calipers that you actually deflect what you are measuring.

According to the info at www.accuratepowder.com, the OAL should be between 1.150" and 1.275", so 1.250" should be fine.

Once you get a couple of rounds loaded, test fit them to your barrel (preferably with it out of the gun) to make sure they'll drop straight in. If they don't, you're probably overcrimping them. Some people advise putting just enough crimp to take the bell back out. I'm not sure, as I haven't got to the bullet seating stage for my .45 yet (decapped, sized, belled and primed only so far), so probably best to read a manual on that.

Good loading, and welcome to a very addicting hobby.

Last edited by cpaspr; September 27, 2006 at 06:52 PM.
Old September 28, 2006, 02:46 AM   #6
glockopop

I do have and have read Modern Reloading by Richard Lee. Thanks for the info, y'all. The specs of the load are as provided by the manufacturer of my pistol, and yes, it is a .45ACP.
Old September 28, 2006, 07:50 PM   #7
tINY

For auto pistol ammo, the COL is a fine check - as long as you determine it for each bullet.

You may want to check the case length the first time you load a piece of brass too.

Since you have Lee stuff, you have the info for the volume of the powder to use. This is fine for auto pistols and plinking ammo as long as you are not close to a 100% load density.

-tINY