The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 18, 2012, 03:24 PM   #1
dal22ses

Looking for my 1st revolver?? Possibly Taurus m85ul hammerless?? Advise anyone?

Ok I have been around revolvers and actually my department still uses the S&W 38 special but all my pistols are semis so I would like to get a nice revolver.

I want a personal conceal carry snub nose. The shop near me has a few that I just dont know enough about or have any idea which is better for my needs. I put a deposit on a new Taurus m85 ultralight hammerless, but I also have my eye on 2 others they carry.

Anyone who has the Taurus is it a good gun, seems that I hear a lot of good and bad about it, what are your thoughts on Taurus revolvers? Also the idea of hammerless revolvers are new to me but growing on me fast. I just dont want to be dissapointed with my 1st revolver purchase. I do like the S&W revolvers but I kind of want to switch up my pistol brand a little.

My choices:

Taurus m85ul hammerless $349 NEW
Ruger sp101 hammerless (stainless) $299 USED
Ruger sp101 with hammer (stainless) $399 USED

Thanks

Last edited by dal22ses; November 18, 2012 at 03:31 PM.
Old November 18, 2012, 04:13 PM   #2
ShotPlacement

I've owned Taurus in 454 357 and45/10, never had problem with any of them. Personally I like the SP101 in 357. The 2"barrel conceals a little better but the 3" is a better shooter IHMO. I've had both! Lucky me! Both are heavy compared to the 'ultra lite' models of any given manufacturer. The SP101 loaded w/ 38spl is easy to shoot with minimal recoil. A little heavy - yes - but a great gun and built like a tank! I'm eyeballing the 327mag but I'm still leery of the absence of ammo to chose from in 327. 357 and 38 have been around a long time and ammo is plentiful.

Exposed hammers vs hammerless? My preference is an exposed hammer so I have the option to cock if I can. But they can get hung up on clothing in a pinch. It's all give and take.

~Regards~

Last edited by ShotPlacement; November 18, 2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old November 18, 2012, 04:29 PM   #3
drail

Be sure to shoot any ultra light snub you are considering because most of them are NOT fun to shoot and are harder to hit with for most people. The SP 101 is just about the perfect size and weight. It's easy and fun to shoot with .38 Spl. My theory is if you want to hit then you have to practice. If the gun is no fun to shoot then you will stop practicing or start flinching.
Old November 18, 2012, 04:29 PM   #4
old bear

Go with either of the Rugers'. there is a good reason that a new Taurus is priced less than a used Ruger.

Taurus makes two different types of handguns, type one, will provide excellent service at an decent price. Type two, will never be right no matter how many times it's returned to the service center.
Old November 18, 2012, 04:34 PM   #5
JerryM

[Type two, will never be right no matter how many times it's returned to the service center. ]

That was my experience with a SS M85. Get a Ruger or 642 S&W.
Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old November 18, 2012, 04:37 PM   #6
Quincunx

My admittedly limited experience with Taurii revolvers has been positive. The wife has two Model 431 .44 Specials (one purchased new by me ~20 years ago) and zero problems except for a loose cylinder latch (both guns, easily fixed with some Loctite). Of course, I'd guess they haven't made that model in at least 15 years, and neither one of hers has had thousands of rounds through it, but my bride uses one as her bedside gun and the other as her daily carry gun. She has 'em loaded up with 200-grain GDHP, and (as Baretta used to say), "that's the name o' THAT tune." YMMV, but ours has been pretty good.
Old November 18, 2012, 04:55 PM   #7
dal22ses

I really like the sp101 it is a stainless steel frame with the hammer and only $50 more then the brand new taurus. It feels nice as for weight but I dislike the hard plastic grips. Can they be replaced?

The Ruger with ss frame and hammerless is only $299
Old November 18, 2012, 05:08 PM   #8
lee n. field

Quote:
My choices:

Taurus m85ul hammerless $349 NEW
Ruger sp101 hammerless (stainless) $299 USED
Ruger sp101 with hammer (stainless) $399 USED
Grab the bobbed hammer SP101 before anyone else does.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old November 18, 2012, 05:27 PM   #9
dal22ses

no bobbed hammer just hammerless unless that is what you mean by bobbed..

Is the hammerless a good price for $299 or is the hammer version a better revolver for $399
Old November 18, 2012, 05:32 PM   #10
1 old 0311-1

The hammerless limits you to double action shooting only. Plus there is a more limited market.
Old November 18, 2012, 05:36 PM   #11
spanishjames

Quote:
no bobbed hammer just hammerless unless that is what you mean by bobbed
It has to have a hammer, though it's double action only. I would buy the $299 version right away. If it' not beat up, it's a steal.
Old November 18, 2012, 05:43 PM   #12
Crazy88Fingers

The hammered and hammerless Rugers are identical, except for that one part. You can always buy a new hammer for the SP-101 down the road if you want the single action option.
Old November 18, 2012, 05:49 PM   #13
lee n. field

Quote:
no bobbed hammer just hammerless unless that is what you mean by bobbed..
We may have a confusion of terminology between us.

Ruger doesn't make a "hammerless" (hammer totally enclosed, internal to the gun) SP101. (LCRs are hammerless.) There is a hammer. You'll see it pull back when you pull the trigger. The hammer will have had it's spur for manual cocking removed, and (if factory installed) is DA only.

$299 is an excellent price. It's a price that would have me putting money down instantly and looking into what I could liquidate. Ruger will (so I read on the Interwebz, <sarc>so you know it's true</sarc>) fit a DA/SA hammer, if that's what you want. But, DA is the way you ought to be shooting a snub.

To the original point, a Taurus can be fine. Mine is. But, you do run a somewhat higher than usual risk of having a customer service rant to share with us.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old November 18, 2012, 05:58 PM   #14
dal22ses

Ok I will be waiting at their door tomorrow when they open to grab the $299 ruger. When I looked at it it looked almost brand new, this store only buys really clean stuff. Thankfully when I looked at it it was almost closing time saturday and they are closed sundays.

I liked the look of the hammer version ruger but the $299 price tag is hard to look past. I did dry fire it there and the hammer is visible just smoothed down to look like it is hammerless. I am just really not sure if I want the hammerless or hammer version

Last edited by dal22ses; November 18, 2012 at 06:17 PM.
Old November 18, 2012, 07:35 PM   #15
dal22ses

One last question

I know the Ruger is the way to go and I am going to get 1 of the 2 tomorrow. Which is a better buy from your views? I kind of like the idea of the hammer version but for carry I like the hammerless or bobbed version. They both are great prices just cant make up my mind. Both is not an option though
Old November 18, 2012, 08:24 PM   #16
1 old 0311-1

One last question

I know the Ruger is the way to go and I am going to get 1 of the 2 tomorrow. Which is a better buy from your views? I kind of like the idea of the hammer version but for carry I like the hammerless or bobbed version. They both are great prices just cant make up my mind. Both is not an option though

The 101 is a bit big and bulky to carry in a pocket. Since it's going on a belt get the hammer version. If you go with the bobbed hammer and ever decide to switch you are probably going to be over $100 for parts and labor. There is a reason the hammerless is cheaper. MUCH less market for it.
Old November 18, 2012, 08:34 PM   #17
dal22ses

cool Thanks for the help. The hammer version is the way I plan to go.
Old November 18, 2012, 09:06 PM   #18
1 old 0311-1

cool Thanks for the help. The hammer version is the way I plan to go.

Trust me. I have a 'bit' of experience with wheelies. Hammer model is the way to go.
Old November 18, 2012, 09:09 PM   #19
dnsharpshooter

i bought a police trade in smith and wesson model 10 from buds as my first gun (not sure if they still have em) and its excellent
Old November 18, 2012, 09:24 PM   #20
dal22ses

that is one heck of a collection there
Old November 18, 2012, 09:35 PM   #21
1 old 0311-1

i bought a police trade in smith and wesson model 10 from buds as my first gun (not sure if they still have em) and its excellent

For shooters/house/truck/or range guns old LEO guns, for the price, can't be beat. More so if you ever get to hand pick one. I bought a S&W 64 that had typical holster wear BUT had a trigger job done on it that would match anything you would find at Camp Perry.
They are ALWAYS ugly but ALWAYS good, and sometimes great.
Old November 19, 2012, 11:11 AM   #22
dal22ses

I bought the ruger sp101 with hammer for $399. Plan to replace the grips though
Old November 19, 2012, 04:19 PM   #23
drail

If you buy the bobbed double action only version it will force you to learn how to shoot DA (or you will miss a lot). Learn to shoot it DA. It will require a lot of ammo and practice but it is worth it. Even if you buy one with a full hammer and SA capability, learn to shoot it DA.
Old November 19, 2012, 04:47 PM   #24
aarondhgraham

Here's my best advice,,,

Before you actually pay for any Taurus revolver,,,
Take it out of the box and give it a very careful evaluation,,,
Do not pay for the gun until you are certain it is functioning properly.

Taurus designs some very nice handguns,,,
But the quality control out of their factory is dismal.

I'm not just Taurus bashing here,,,
I am speaking from personal experience.

If you get a good Taurus,,,
It will probably be good forever.

If you get a bad one out of the box,,,
Good luck ever getting it to work properly.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old November 19, 2012, 06:19 PM   #25
dal22ses

Thanks. I ended up buying the Ruger SP101 SS snub nose for $399. I love the feel over the Taurus and it is the hammer version. I already bought new grips for it though because I really dislike the stock Ruger grip on this pistol.

Otherwise it is a beautiful pistol