The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 21, 2011, 11:12 PM   #1
deepcore

Cut powder

I've been "listening" to the weigh vs volume powder charge (specifically for rifle) discussion on this forum (when it comes up) with regards to accuracy and the use of either technique.

I may have missed a thread on my specific question with regards to the debate.. My apologies if it's been asked and answered before:

Using the volume charge method...when the charger cuts stick powder granules....does the cutting of granules of a portion of the charge have a (negligible/acceptable) effect?

Sort of similar to a "tiny" difference in charge weight with the other method?
Old August 21, 2011, 11:35 PM   #2
TXGunNut

That bothers me as well but apparently it doesn't bother the powder noticeably. If you were to somehow cut every stick of powder in a charge it may affect the burn rate somewhat. I think if you operate the measure in a deliberate manner so that you shear the offending sticks cleanly you should get a uniform charge.
OTOH I bought an RCBS ChargeMaster so I wouldn't have to worry about cutting sticks of powder.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old August 22, 2011, 01:46 PM   #3
PA-Joe

You should be calibrating your measure with a scale. You will be cutting some of the powder but not enough to make a difference. Most of the powder companies are now making short-cut mixtures to help eliminate this metering issue.

Last edited by PA-Joe; August 23, 2011 at 05:26 PM.
Old August 22, 2011, 08:13 PM   #4
deepcore

Quote:
You should be calibrating your meaure with a scale
I do. Don't know how, or of, another way to set up a volume charger.
Old August 23, 2011, 02:35 PM   #5
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
I'll bet PA-Joe doesn't know another way either !
Old August 23, 2011, 03:38 PM   #6
Nevmavrick

Some of the responders are thinking from the point of view that a cut kernal burns faster, but I believe the question is what is the end-effect.
When you cut a kernal, you need a little pressure, and get more vibration. The answer would depend on how the measure is mounted. Mine is mounted to a very heavy table with a 12" square piece of steel bolted to it. There are two 3/8" bolts thru the pedestal into the steel. There is almost no vibration, so there is almost no variation in powder charges. The best thing you can do, is to throw several charges and notice the charge weight in the charge AFTER the cut kernal.
Depending on what cartridge, charge weight, and powder, as to if the variation is too much.
The use of a measure causes some consistency issues, anyway, so it depends on what is acceptable.
Have fun,
Gene
Old August 23, 2011, 07:41 PM   #7
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
I always set my measure to dump a couple tenths light and trickle to target weight ! Never done it any other way !
Old August 23, 2011, 08:50 PM   #8
Jim243

I also wondered what effect it would have, never seen a cut grain in 7 years of reloading. I was doing it the Oneoldsap way. Then went with a RCBS Chargemaster 1500 (no way for it to cut any powder). It does throw a tenth of a grain over now and then, but no big deal I just dump it back into the hopper.

Seems that that small of a variance would have little effect, but what do I know never having seen one.

Jim
Old August 23, 2011, 09:04 PM   #9
Sport45

I wonder if we're hearing grains being cut, or just the sound of them popping out of the way. The little buggers would be pretty hard to cut, being rather platic and all.

In any case, I quit worrying about that sound a long time ago. Doesn't seem to matter other than a weight variance if it messes with the smoothness of the throw.
Old August 26, 2011, 10:59 PM   #10
Nevmavrick

My biggest concern is the difference of vibration, therefor changing the weight of the powder charge. I agree, throw the next charge back, or weigh it to see how much it varys.
Gene
Old August 27, 2011, 10:23 AM   #11
TXGunNut

I avoided the issue by using a scoop & trickle method on an electronic scale. It's not a great method for large volumes but it's almost as fast as the ChargeMaster 1500 I'm using now. Big difference is that I can seat a bullet while the machine does the measuring. I use a powder measure for flake & ball powders, 1500 for the pesky sticks.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old August 27, 2011, 01:19 PM   #12
243winxb

Quote:
Using the volume charge method...when the charger cuts stick powder granules....does the cutting of granules of a portion of the charge have a (negligible/acceptable) effect?
Yes, the target does not notice the difference. I get about .3gr increase in weight with IMR 4350 & slightly less with IMR 4198 & 4895. Only a problem if the load is maximum. Then i weigh each charge.
Old August 27, 2011, 01:57 PM   #13
Clifford L. Hughes

Deepcore:

I'm sort of old fashoned, I throw a charge of H4350 or H 4831 slightly under the charge wanted on to the sacle pan, then I use the tip of a table spoon to trickle up to the wanted charge. By using the same spoon you will soon learn how much powder to dip and need, in most cases, only two dips. Fast and efficient.

Semper Fi.

Gunnery sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC Retired