The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 29, 2019, 10:32 AM   #26
Mike Irwin
Staff

According to this chart (http://www.adi-powders.com.au/powder-equivalents/) the most direct equvalent is ADI 100 powder...

Which as far as I can tell isn't imported into the United States.

Most of the other ADI powders that are imported come in as Hodgdon branded powders.

My guess, though, is one of the Accurate Arms powders would be a good substitute.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 29, 2019, 10:34 AM   #27
Mike Irwin
Staff

Here are some suggested replacements, as well, but these are talking mainly about shotshell loads...

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=271664

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 30, 2019, 08:21 AM   #28
Brutus

Never experienced muzzle flash with HP-38/WW231. Power Pistol on the other had really produces a flash plus a strangely different recoil impulse.

I tend to stick with HP-38 with plated and jacketed bullets, Bullseye for lead SWC's.
Old January 30, 2019, 08:37 AM   #29
Marco Califo

BE-86 and Silhouette are performance powders that are flash suppressed. Biggest muzzle flash I get comes from WC844/H335 bolt rifles: big fireball visible on sunny days.
Old January 30, 2019, 10:54 AM   #30
kmw1954

Really appreciate everyone's feedback of the "flash" but I really didn't mean to divert the topic at hand. Maybe I should open a new one.

The flash we are seeing is happening at an indoor range which is rather dark and this flash is not a huge one but is enough to be noticeable and distracting at this range. I have shot other loads and not seen this flash which makes it so confusing. I load a lot of this powder in the 9mm and this flash isn't there at all. Have loaded it in the 380 also and not seen it. Just when I load the 45acp.

Back on topic I am waiting to hear back from the OP about his tests with the CFE.