The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 28, 2008, 02:46 PM   #1
.351winchester

Storage and Transport: Safe and Case reccomendations?

Well I'm finally starting to work down my list of guns I've wanted and slobbered over for a long time. Stuff to be proud of. For once, I want to compliment my collection with a working quality safe eventually, and right now, top quality cases for travel, as I often have to drive a while to one of my spots for shooting. These are good rifles I'm getting and they deserve better than a 20. Wal-Mart case or the box it came in (which may cause confiscation temporarily around here).

I've got a real old Eagle catalog and a Blackhawk one, also a few years old. I want the rectangular, discreet style. Outside pocket is okay. Something that could be locked at the zipper would be a big plus (like a bank bag?). Magazine pouches inside -for .308 20 rd., pistol mags, misc. gear pouch, and holster (Molle system might be a good idea, but just sewn in would be just as good). Perhaps a double long gun case with above features, actually I'd prefer that, with shoulder strap. Saw one like this in the Sportsman's Guide with a foam divider that looked kind of cheap and bulkier than it needed to be, too long. The Leapers Covert, and Backpack cases would be fine but have AR/AK pouches. Ideally 38" long inside, the length of both long guns in mind-(seems like even the high dollar models come in generic sizes), since neither has a PG, maybe they could be carried strapped in a 69 position, over and under with trigger guards in, like some do in their aluminum cases. As long as the optics are protected that would be fine.

Any suggestions on cases with some or all of these features or some modularity to make my own (like something that would allow wearable mag pouches and holster to be strapped inside...something like that? For the AK yeah I could rig something up for mags and drum, but no cobbling anywhere near the others)? I spent a long time researching and finding the guns I'd be happy with and sacrificed alot to save for them, and would like to find the perfect carry cases for them. All references are appreciated. Are there any custom case makers? Someone who can sew could clean up by making model-specific carry cases. I always wanted a Pelican, but they're too expensive and oversized, way tougher than I need (though I bet you could bury them and dig up the cache 20 years later and have your weapons in the same condition they were)

I'll need a safe at some point, actually pay no mind to that I'll read up some more as I have a while, but does anyone know about or have this flat safe that fits on a closet side wall, don't recall the brand It's white, and holds 5 rifles I think, staggered. Not a Richmond and Lackett at all but it keeps them hidden and safe from kids at least. I'm not going to buy a real one (fireproof, the whole 9 yards) until I buy a house.