The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 14, 2018, 07:18 PM   #26
Driftwood Johnson

Quote:
You can't buy an old model 929, 325, 69, 460 XVR or 500.
Well, I guess it's a good thing I'm not interested in any of those models.
Old September 14, 2018, 08:32 PM   #27
DPris
Member Emeritus

Ditto.
Denis
Old September 15, 2018, 09:46 AM   #28
ammo.crafter

Favorite

My S&W model 14 (1953) target Masterpiece 38Spcl.

Happened to shoot it at the range last week and, as usual, deadly accurate and consistent, tight groups.

As the gun control political climate has been changing, I moved from NY to NJ and now very happy in PA, where America begins.

Enjoy Texas!
Old September 15, 2018, 07:33 PM   #29
1911_Hardball

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPris
A barrel made of two pieces, instead of one piece.
Well that was helpful.
Old September 15, 2018, 09:13 PM   #30
DPris
Member Emeritus

You're very welcome.
Denis
Old September 16, 2018, 07:19 AM   #31
smee78

As for barrel length I prefer a 4-5 inch barrel, its hard to beat a good 4" revolver as far as all around balance and performance. The barrel length is usually a personal preference and can depend of your task. Hunters/target shooters usually prefer a longer barrel while a person looking for a concealed weapon usually likes a shorter barrel.

As for new VS old, I prefer the older revolvers as long as they are in good serviceable condition.
Old September 16, 2018, 07:49 AM   #32
lunger

The new Classic Line , in my opinion are some of the nicest currently produced revolvers.I wish they would have picked a different name. The "classic"always starts the old verses new debate.

I respect those that only want vintage Smiths. The older ones are getting harder to find as collectors gobble them up. Sort of like muscle cars of my youth. Not bashing collectors. I would probably do the same if finances permitted. The prices and availability will continue to reflect this.

If you want a new Smith by all means go for it. Don't let other peoples opinions sway you. Decide for your self.
Old September 16, 2018, 08:15 AM   #33
4V50 Gary
Staff

I like them and if you don't already know how, might I suggest you master the DA trigger on them? Go slow and keep the target close. As your groups tighten, then increase the distance. Keep this up until you can hit the target at 25 yards. Then throw in speedloaders. DA shooting with revolvers and speedloaders is a blast. I still love doing it.
Old September 16, 2018, 10:49 AM   #34
flashhole

I owned one revolver in the past. A Ruger GP 100 with a 4" barrel. My opinion - Barrel was too long to comfortably carry concealed and too short to provide a good sight radius for precision shooting. The counter guy told me it was the best compromise for all-purpose use. That was the last time I ever listened to the guy behind the counter. Sold the gun and was never sorry I did. Now it's time to get some purpose specific guns.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old September 16, 2018, 12:56 PM   #35
DPris
Member Emeritus

In this case I'd actually agree with your counter guy.
Denis
Old September 16, 2018, 03:38 PM   #36
flashhole

Your advice in this thread has not been stellar so I will take your comment for what it's worth. Absolutely nothing.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old September 16, 2018, 06:29 PM   #37
ifithitu

Congrats on your move,you choice of guns is as good as mine!
Old September 16, 2018, 09:29 PM   #38
DPris
Member Emeritus

Flash,
The only advice I've given in this thread was if you want a new Smith, go for it.
You want more, what specifically would that be?
You want me to make your decision for you?

And I won't apologize for agreeing with your counter guy, since I DO happen to agree with him.
What exactly did you want from this thread?
I even congratulated you on your move.

You want full info on Smith's two-piece barrel?
Google it.
You can find photos & the whole deal.
Denis
Old September 16, 2018, 10:08 PM   #39
Dave T

My comment, which I fear flash will not find helpful, is that the current "Classic" line of S&Ws aren't Classic at all. And the idea that they are the best revolvers S&W has ever made is laughable.

Dave
Old September 16, 2018, 10:36 PM   #40
Model12Win

They’ll still blow someone’s head clean off or crack an engine block from a quarter mile away!
Old September 16, 2018, 11:38 PM   #41
DPris
Member Emeritus

A brief moment of levity....
Denis
Old September 17, 2018, 07:02 AM   #42
dogdoc

I have many Smith revolvers from many different generations and I think the classic I have is put together really well and is tighter than many of my older revolvers from the 1960s, 70s and 80s. The classics also have the endurance package. Collectability and nostalgia aside, for a shooter, you cannot go wrong with a new classic. The lock sucks by I am past that now.
Old September 17, 2018, 12:38 PM   #43
DPris
Member Emeritus

Not all Classics have an endurance package.
Not all Classics need it.
Denis
Old September 17, 2018, 01:46 PM   #44
rep1954

My model 14-8 Classic is one of my favorite guns. The lock time on it is faster than any other Smith I own. A tribute to it's accuracy I'm sure. The MIM is not the prettiest thing on this earth nor the Hilary Hole but I never even think about it until one of these threads come around.
Old September 17, 2018, 08:22 PM   #45
MrBorland

Quote:
Originally Posted by rep1954
The lock time on it is faster than any other Smith I own
And you know this how?

Regardless, among the things that determine net revolver accuracy, lock time is relatively low on the list. Or, one would have to be a world class shooter to tell the difference, and even then I’m doubtful.
Old September 18, 2018, 06:42 AM   #46
PzGren

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBorland View Post
And you know this how?

Regardless, among the things that determine net revolver accuracy, lock time is relatively low on the list. Or, one would have to be a world class shooter to tell the difference, and even then I’m doubtful.
I agree with Mr. Borland. I shot centerfire revolver competitions for a long time and lock time, respectively length of hammerfall make no practical difference for off-hand shooting. Grip and proper length of trigger, as well as trigger characteristics, including overtravel have a more significant impact on practical accuracy.

As to the two piece barrel design; Korth is using that since decades and it makes it easier to adjust barrel to cylinder gap.
Old September 18, 2018, 07:51 AM   #47
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashhole View Post

Any informed comments on barrel length?
IMHO, it comes down to the intended purpose of the gun.

Hunting is best dome with longer barrels and EDC better with short. Anything else is done well with medium length barrels.

I have old smiths and new. My new 686s are more accurate than the older ones, but are not a nicely finished. I have the dreaded lock on my .38 snub and my .460 X-Frame. Thousands of full throttle loads and never a lock failure. I have several models and a caliber that were never available 40 years ago. Iffin I were a young guy and wanted a nice Smith, I'd buy new knowing the lifetime warranty to the original owner meant I would never pay monies to replace the gun due to failure. I suggest to anyone not familiar with revolvers, to research the threads on how to judge a used revolver before purchasing used.

Welcome to the world of wheelguns........
Old September 18, 2018, 08:43 AM   #48
rep1954

Most definitely I can tell a noticeable difference between Smiths long and short action in speed as well as the difference between the long action and that of my Colt Single Action Army's.
Old September 18, 2018, 12:28 PM   #49
DPris
Member Emeritus

Using Korth and Dan Wesson as examples of a two-piece barrel success is irrelevant to the S&W discussion.

I can't discuss a foreign situation regarding product & after-buy service, since I'm not there.

Here in the US, though, I can.

It's not the two-piece barrel idea in itself that's the concern.
Done CORRECTLY, as in both design & serviceability, there's no problem.
The concerns with the Smith approach is the breakage at both ends that I've seen photos of, and the inability of either the owner or the average local gunsmith to service if barrel service is needed.

Barrel breakage is pretty much unheard-of in the DW design.
It IS rare in the Smiths, but it has happened.
The company appears to have altered the front flange, at least on the last 66 I had here.
If so, that may eliminate that potential weakness.
And I freely admits the odds of your new two-piece S&W barrel breaking ARE not high.
But, again- it's happened.

On the serviceability issue- the vast majority of two-piece barrel buyers will never need or want after-buy service on those guns.
S&W is playing the odds there, for both them AND you.

But- if a forcing cone wears out with heavy use & needs work, your local guy can't do it because he doesn't have the special tool to remove the barrel.
If you should decide you want a barrel swap, same deal.

ANY work involving barrel removal has to be sent back to the factory, including the most simple stuff like cleaning up a worn cone & setting the barrel back slightly.
That ain't covered by warrantee, and S&W isn't going to pay shipping.

Again- this involves a very low percentage of buyers, and the company banks on it.

One other issue in passing: If you think the shroud makes a canted front sight impossible, think again.
And if yours is, your local guy can't just do a simple barrel turn to correct it.

These are the concerns some of us have on the Smith two-piecers.
None of those apply to the DWs.
A DW owner can R&R his or her own barrel on the kitchen table, and any competent gunsmith can do barrel work on one.

For most Smith buyers, they neither know nor care.
Denis
Old September 18, 2018, 02:38 PM   #50
dgludwig

Quote:
I owned one revolver in the past. A Ruger GP 100 with a 4" barrel. My opinion - Barrel was too long to comfortably carry concealed and too short to provide a good sight radius for precision shooting. The counter guy told me it was the best compromise for all-purpose use.
I guess I'm not the only one who thinks you should be taking notes when your "counter guy" talks. He gave you an opinion that I certainly agree with. A gun described as being the "best compromise for all-purpose use" (and I think the Ruger GP 100 configured with a 4" barrel is certainly a candidate for such a title) is probably not going to be a gun that does any one thing best-by definition.