The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 18, 2018, 07:12 PM   #1
Centuriator

Need advice on Flite-Control Ammo

OK, so I'm looking into Federal's "Flite Control" ammo in various flavors.

I want it in 12 guage 00 Buck. My application is SD/HD. Benelli M4 with 7 + 1 + 1 capacity.

But now, my options have me a bit confuz-ed.

12 Gauge Federal Flite-Control 8 Pellet Buckshot Ammo

12 Gauge Federal LE12700 Buck Shot High Power ammo with Flite-Control Wad

12 gauge Federal Low Recoil 8 Pellet Buckshot FliteControl Wad ammo

What kind of sacrifice in performance am I looking at between these three options? That is, low recoil v. "regular" vs. "high power"?

Thanks for your thoughts/opinions.
Old June 19, 2018, 09:37 AM   #2
ATN082268

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centuriator View Post
OK, so I'm looking into Federal's "Flite Control" ammo in various flavors.

I want it in 12 guage 00 Buck. My application is SD/HD. Benelli M4 with 7 + 1 + 1 capacity.

But now, my options have me a bit confuz-ed.

12 Gauge Federal Flite-Control 8 Pellet Buckshot Ammo

12 Gauge Federal LE12700 Buck Shot High Power ammo with Flite-Control Wad

12 gauge Federal Low Recoil 8 Pellet Buckshot FliteControl Wad ammo

What kind of sacrifice in performance am I looking at between these three options? That is, low recoil v. "regular" vs. "high power"?

Thanks for your thoughts/opinions.
I only have experience with 12 Gauge Federal Flite-Control 00 Buckshot low recoil with 8 and 9 pellets. Those loads pattern very tight up to 25 yards and I'd be comfortable shooting it out to 35 yards. This range should be plenty for a typical home defense scenario and probably overkill in the vast majority of cases. If you don't care about taking extended range shots with Buckshot, just about any brand of Buckshot that works reliably will do up to about 10 yards.

In my opinion, Flite-Control loads start to shine after about 10 yards compared to other Buckshot loads. Flite-Control loads largely give you an advantage to shoot more effectively at longer ranges than most other loads. Out of the loads you listed, there probably isn't much of a difference in performance for a typical home defense scenario. Above all else, I'd pick a load that works reliability with your shotgun. If reliability and price are the same for all the ones you listed, I'd pick the low recoil to make follow up shots easier and give your shoulder some relief when you practice
Old June 19, 2018, 09:51 AM   #3
amd6547

Yeah, while Flitecontrol is great stuff, I prefer standard buckshot for my home defense needs. I do like the #1 buck low recoil FC load...that is what is in my Mossberg 500 right now. With it's light weight and short 12" LOP stock, low recoil is a good thing, and #1 buck seems like it would do the job.
Old June 19, 2018, 02:56 PM   #4
Erno86

I prefer the low recoil, 9 pellet, 12 gauge Flite Control ammo for my 870 Law Enforcement, because I can control recoil better while I pump during the recoil cycle; and it makes for some tight groups out too 35 yards.
The con for the Flite Control...is that certain muzzle brakes will eat-up the plastic pedals on the wad, so much that plastic residue will accumulate around the vents of the brake. How much that affects accuracy...I don't know.

But I have to be aware of other peoples target frames at the hundred yard range where I sometimes shoot buckshot there, because of the extreme shot spread at 100 yards.

--- George Orwell
Old June 19, 2018, 06:23 PM   #5
Model12Win

Your M4 may not run well with the lower powered load.

Stick to the full power, 9 pellet Flite Control load. Superb and recoil will be tame in your gas-operated Benelli. You'll know there is enough power to cycle the action every time. The lower recoil stuff makes far more sense in pump or side by side.

Don't put any kind of stupid "muzzle brake" or "breacher choke" on a defensive shotgun. With the pressures a shotgun operates at, the actually ability to decrease felt recoil or control muzzle rise is minimal at best. You add unnecessary length and weight to the gun. Shotguns are already plenty long for indoor use, a stupid muzzle brake adds even more and decreases maneuverability.

Yes it is true, the plastic wadding can and will accumulate in these types of devices too, as if their weren't enough reasons to avoid them anyway.
Old June 20, 2018, 10:39 AM   #6
Sharkbite

Im of exactly the opposite mind set...

I think the spread of pellets is the biggest advantage of the shotty. Granted at HD ranges there is not much spread, but i dont see the advantage to REDUCING that further

One of my local LE agencies has gone to the flight control load. At the range with them, the spread inside 7 yards is almost non existent. Slug like holes in the tgts.

I dont need to shoot 50+ yards with buckshot. Id just load a slug for that shot. I DO want a pattern to open up some at closer ranges. Thats one of the pluses in the use of the shotgun for SD/HD
Old June 21, 2018, 06:35 AM   #7
ATN082268

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbite View Post
Im of exactly the opposite mind set...

I think the spread of pellets is the biggest advantage of the shotty. Granted at HD ranges there is not much spread, but i dont see the advantage to REDUCING that further

One of my local LE agencies has gone to the flight control load. At the range with them, the spread inside 7 yards is almost non existent. Slug like holes in the tgts.

I dont need to shoot 50+ yards with buckshot. Id just load a slug for that shot. I DO want a pattern to open up some at closer ranges. Thats one of the pluses in the use of the shotgun for SD/HD
I think the stopping power of a 12 Gauge shotgun is the biggest advantage of a shotgun in a home defense (HD) situation. Round for round in a HD situation, it is hard to beat a 12 Gauge shotgun with 00 buckshot. Reducing the spread of pellets does have the advantage of being less likely to hit other people that aren't your target. At 7 yards or so, there generally isn't going to be much spread regardless of the shotgun and buckshot. Shotgun loads like Flite-control merely give you the option for more effective longer range shots than other buckshot. I don't see a downside to this except that stuff like Flite-Control will usually cost more than normal buckshot. When a buckshot load hits something solid, it doesn't stay together like a slug, it has a fairly wide pattern.
Old June 22, 2018, 02:22 PM   #8
Erno86

On second thought...double ought buck is really more penetration than you need in a house. A 34 pellet #4 buckshot Federal load --- without the FliteControl wad (because it gives too tight of a pattern at close range) --- is all you really need for home defense.

YouTube video: "#4 Buckshot For Home Defense - Federal Premium"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOLFfjlGIT8

--- George Orwell

Last edited by Erno86; June 22, 2018 at 02:41 PM.
Old June 22, 2018, 02:53 PM   #9
Model12Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erno86 View Post
On second thought...double ought buck is really more penetration than you need in a house. A 34 pellet #4 buckshot Federal load --- without the FliteControl wad (because it gives too tight of a pattern at close range) --- is all you really need for home defense.

YouTube video: "#4 Buckshot For Home Defense - Federal Premium"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOLFfjlGIT8
My 870 Police is stoked with this load, sitting right beside me as I type. Nasty load.