The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 27, 2017, 09:06 PM   #1
Bigboy79

Glock or a 1911?

Hello, I actually joined these forums because of this dilemma I am currently in. This purchase will be my second handgun purchase, my first was an FNX 45 which I’ve now come to despise. I’ve always loved the 1911 while I was growing up and have always wanted one. My price range for a 1911 is somewhere in the mid range of $600-$900. While searching for one that would fit in my price range I somehow ended up looking at glocks and found out I really like the Glock 34. I’m not sure yet what this pistols purpose would be, I’m a very large person and I think I am more than capable of conceal carrying either of the guns. Based on research and most peoples opinion the Glock seems to be the more logical buy but there’s something about a 1911 that I just really like. If any of you think you could help me make up my mind feel free to comment your opinions.
Old November 27, 2017, 09:08 PM   #2
Bigboy79

The 1911s I have been looking at are all 8+1 .45 acp.
Old November 27, 2017, 09:17 PM   #3
Targa

Give me the 1911 everyday and twice on Sunday. I like Glocks and from a practicality stand point they are hard to beat but with that said it is hard for me to put a polymer wonder and an iconic 1911 in the same sentence...
Old November 27, 2017, 09:19 PM   #4
Kreyzhorse

Have you held both? Two different feeling guns to be sure.

I've concealed a 1911 and a Glock 22. Both can be concealed, but the thinness of the 1911 makes concealing it easier in my opinion. The 1911 is heavier so that is part of the trade off.

Anyway, I'd suggest finding each, holding each and shooting each if you can.
Old November 27, 2017, 09:24 PM   #5
Bigboy79

I have gotten a chance to hold both. My brother has a Kimber and my father own a Glock 19. I like the feel of both but I think the 1911 safety system and trigger is more for me.
Old November 27, 2017, 09:37 PM   #6
74A95

Quote:
Bigboy79 ; I think the 1911 safety system and trigger is more for me.
There's your answer.

If you're looking for a carry gun, consider a Commander model with a 4.25" barrel. Many are made with aluminum frames for light weight.
Old November 27, 2017, 09:41 PM   #7
redlightrich

Both are great guns. My opinion is the 1911 has the cleanest trigger out there. It is a large gun for sure, but it is also single stack, so the grip isn't too big around.

I would always take the 1911 first. In your price range you have several good choices for 1911's.

Let us know what you decide

Rich
Old November 27, 2017, 10:11 PM   #8
hdwhit

But in the interest of full disclosure, I don't care for Glocks, I don't see the point in the Glock, my experience with Glock has been uniformly unsatisfactory and for three generations, nobody in my family has been led down by a 1911.
Old November 27, 2017, 10:36 PM   #9
Purple Bikerr

If you buy the G-lock, you will still want a 1911.

If you buy a 1911, you won't care that you don't have a G-lock.

1911's have a soul and character that you can feel. You will be proud to own one. They are art with purpose.

Glocks are black and soulless like a dolls eyes. I know glock owners that are glad they have them, but are not "proud" of them.

Do a search for custom 1911 builders and one for custom Glock builders.

Many, many for 1911's. Not so many for the G-lock.

I have 4 1911's, and am pretty close to buying the next one that costs as much as the other 4 combined.

Ssshhhh.... do not tell the wife.
Old November 28, 2017, 07:00 AM   #10
JJ45

Soul vs no soul?...form vs function?...here we go again, I have 3 1911s, two Colts and a Springfield. I shoot them better than any centerfire handgun because of the trigger and balance....that said, for anyone else who chooses to own just one gun, I would say get a Glock

I don't own a Glock but do have two striker pistols....IMO, they are simpler for a shooter who does not want to learn the strengths and weaknesses of the 1911 platform and become well schooled in what might fail, etc.

For new 1911 owners I would suggest taking the time to learn how to completely detail strip the weapon to familiarize one with what makes it tick...it's not difficult if one takes the time to learn how..

Also, find out which magazines are the most reliable in YOUR pistol, whether 7 or 8 rounders and stick with them. I have found that most malfunctions in my 1911s can be traced to a magazine that the pistol does not like, even though that mag may function flawlessly in another 1911.
Old November 28, 2017, 07:38 AM   #11
Spats McGee
Staff

First of all, welcome to TFL, Bigboy79! You've elected to compare two pistols that are about as different as two semiautos can be:
1. One = metal, single-stack, single-action, hammer-fired, .45 acp;
2. One = polymer, double-stack, Safe action, striker-fired, 9mm.

Here's what I see as the essential problem:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigboy79
. . . . I’m not sure yet what this pistols purpose would be, . . . .
I would decide on purpose, and go from there. I used to carry a 1911, but later switched to a Glock. There's no question about which pistol has the better trigger. The 1911 does, hands down. With that said, I've learned to shoot moderately well (for a sedentary paper-pusher) with a Glock 19 and don't worry too much about the trigger. It's a carry gun, not a bullseye pistol.

I don't carry a Glock because of its soul, or its nice trigger, or its history, . . . . . I carry one because it's practical. 15+1 of 9mm. Light. Easy to maintain. Goes bang when it should. Makes holes where I point it. As a matter of purely subjective, personal opinion, I don't see the point in the longslide Glocks. Maybe if I were involved in competition shooting, I might have a different opinion. But I'm not, so the longslide Glocks just aren't practical for my purposes. I don't see the extra sight radius or the longer barrel making that much difference at SD ranges. Competition shooting is a different deal, though. You note that you're a big guy and could conceal one. I could not, unless I wore a trenchcoat. YMMV.
Old November 28, 2017, 07:55 AM   #12
jmr40

Glocks and 1911's are the only full size pistols I own. They are actually CLOSER in form and function than any other pistols out of the box. I consider Glocks to be a modernized 1911.

Out of the box both have crisp 5-6 lb triggers and I shoot both of them more accurately than any other pistol. Both can be purchased with lighter triggers or have triggers modified to be lighter.

You have the same consistent 5-6 lb trigger pull on both for every shot. No DA/SA pulls to worry about.

The grip angle on a Glock is closer to a 1911 than any other pistol. The Glock has a bit more of an angle, but everything else has less of an angle than a 1911.

But if you're looking at a gun to actually use for personal protection the 1911 hasn't been the best option since the 1930's. It is quite popular for use in range games that people play and for nostalgic purposes. I love shooting and looking at my 1911's. But any of them would be the last gun I'd grab if someone were breaking down the door.

Winston Churchill
Old November 28, 2017, 08:39 AM   #13
Z400ACDC

The 1911 is just the best looking pistol ever built! I love to shoot them and the triggers are wonderful! But, there ain’t no way I am going to pack that heavy beast around all day cocked with just 8 rounds to go to work with. I carry a Glock19.
Old November 28, 2017, 08:46 AM   #14
jr24

Glocks and 1911s are my two favorite and, most numerous, pistols so I don't think you can go wrong with either. The Glock 34 happens to be pretty much the same size too (though I favor the 17 for balance).

9mm will recoil less and is cheaper to shoot, but .45 ain't bad.

IMO, just get the 1911. You've already mentioned you've got the sirens call of the 1911 rattling around in your soul and buying a Glock will likely only make you pine for the 1911 more.

In your price range the Ruger SR1911 is a great value, great gun and top notch CS should you need it.
Old November 28, 2017, 11:58 AM   #15
74A95

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr40 View Post
Glocks and 1911's are the only full size pistols I own. They are actually CLOSER in form and function than any other pistols out of the box. I consider Glocks to be a modernized 1911. Could not be more wrong, in my opinion.

Out of the box both have crisp 5-6 lb triggers and I shoot both of them more accurately than any other pistol. Both can be purchased with lighter triggers or have triggers modified to be lighter.

You have the same consistent 5-6 lb trigger pull on both for every shot. No DA/SA pulls to worry about.

The grip angle on a Glock is closer to a 1911 than any other pistol. The Glock has a bit more of an angle, but everything else has less of an angle than a 1911. Could not be more wrong, in my opinion.

But if you're looking at a gun to actually use for personal protection the 1911 hasn't been the best option since the 1930's. Could not be more wrong, in my opinion. It is quite popular for use in range games that people play and for nostalgic purposes. I love shooting and looking at my 1911's. But any of them would be the last gun I'd grab if someone were breaking down the door.
As the OP will note, opinions differ. I see the 1911 and the Glock as entirely different platforms that differ in feel, operation and shootability.
Old November 28, 2017, 12:42 PM   #16
peterg7

I’d say Glock but you say you’re a big guy so make sure the finger groves will fit, by firing.

I got XXl hands and after 2 mags my fingers hurt, I was about to write off Glock until I discovered a gen2 G23

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old November 28, 2017, 12:43 PM   #17
Damon555

Everybody should own at least one 1911.....that gets my vote.
Old November 28, 2017, 01:29 PM   #18
USSR

Quote:
If you buy the G-lock, you will still want a 1911.

If you buy a 1911, you won't care that you don't have a G-lock.

1911's have a soul and character that you can feel. You will be proud to own one. They are art with purpose.

Glocks are black and soulless like a dolls eyes. I know glock owners that are glad they have them, but are not "proud" of them.
Hard to argue with prplbkrr's poetry.

Don
Old November 28, 2017, 01:53 PM   #19
adamBomb

They are so different that its tough to give you a logical answer.

I would take a 1911 hands down because I refuse to carry any without a manual safety...and 1911s are classics. If I were looking at the plastic guns (and I am going to be in the spring) I would check out the MP line from Smith and Wesson.
Old November 28, 2017, 04:01 PM   #20
dgludwig

QUOTE: I would decide on purpose, and go from there.

^^^ This. First. Then go from there. One of the first things you need to decide if your purpose is for self-defense (you referenced concealed carry, so I imagine this purpose is what you have in mind) is what type of action you prefer (i.e., da/sa, sa, "striker-fired", etc.). Afterwards comes size, weight, caliber, capacity, "feel/handling/pointing" characteristics, etc.
It's good to keep in mind that everyone has opinions that may or may not fit your purpose, needs and wants. Lots of "objective" positives and negatives attributed to any one pistol can be very subjective in reality.
Old November 28, 2017, 04:31 PM   #21
sgms

I own and carry both Glocks and 1911's, both have good and less than good points as many have pointed out above. I think the learning curve for the 1911 is a bit steeper than that of the Glock with the need to use a manual safety and cock and lock to carry a 1911 safely, but it is easily mastered with a bit of practice. Personally I find the 1911 far more pleasing to the eye and my hand than the Glock, but that is because I'm an old fart and learned simi-auto pistol shooting on 1911's and B.H.P.'s. My Glocks are strong reliable working tools that have (so far) never failed to function and can be dropped into a empty coat pocket with a simple pocket holster that covers the trigger, the only real down being I do not find them as comfortable to carry in wast band as a CCW as I do the thinner 1911's. (Oh and I will not carry a 1911 in a pocket, shoulder or wast holster only for me at lest)
Old November 29, 2017, 01:53 AM   #22
sigxder

Glock probably a better all around bet for carry. But if you have always wanted a 1911 go for it. Their are just so many makers of 1911's with so many different combinations of parts they can be finicky. More complicated manual of arms.
But everyone loves 1911's for all the same reasons. Great ergo's, triggers, American classic, and the .45 caliber fun to shoot. If it wee to cover my butt Glock. Fun gun 1911. Although the G34 is pretty nice t shoot.
Old November 29, 2017, 03:29 AM   #23
Xd45owner

Neither. I prefer the Springfield XD 45
Old November 29, 2017, 06:04 AM   #24
muzzleblast...

Since the question is "either Glock, or, 1911", the answer is 1911.
Old November 29, 2017, 07:12 AM   #25
m&p45acp10+1

RIA TacII A1. A 1911 with many nice features of guns that cost 2 or more times that. It can be had for under $800 out the door. Just get at least one better magazine of quality for it as the factory Mec Gar examples I have dealt with went into the range trash cans. Metal form or Wilson Combat will serve you well for a lifetime.

Glocks are not bad guns. I own a few of them. If I lay them on the table with my 1911 people ask about the 1911. I will end up with a G40 10mm someday. While I like Glocks. They are not the end all. Neither are 1911. I shoot my revolvers more than the others.

Last edited by m&p45acp10+1; November 29, 2017 at 05:57 PM.

Tags
1911 , glock 34