The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 10, 2002, 12:19 AM   #1
NYCOP

What is a good round for coyotes, I use Q3131A for pratice, 20 in AR-15 ?

I pratice with Q3131A and will use what ever I end up going with as hunting ammo for sight in, and then use the Q3131A for pratice and plinking, I would like to get a round that will have a pretty close point of impacted as my pratice stuff, thanks
P.S shot probablyt will be no more then 200 yards maybe 300 once in a while but could be under a 100 yards.
Old December 10, 2002, 12:58 AM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I'd tend to sight in with the coyote ammo, and then check the point of impact with whatever you deem appropriate for practice/plinking. Make a note of the difference, and just allow for it ("Kentucky Windage") when plinking.

Or, get to know your sight adjustments. This is why folks talk about the importance of "repeatability" with scopes. Iron sights are pretty much forced to be close to repeatable...

As far as the ammo, that's more up to your particular AR than anything else. A "cut and try" or shoot-and-try proposition.

Best luck,

Art
Old December 10, 2002, 01:06 AM   #3
Greybeard

Have ya looked at Hornady V-Max? Pretty pricey, but also really frangible I understand. I tried some in my .222 combo gun and they look good on paper. Have yet to have a chance to try 'em on a 'yote but maybe a prarie dog or twelve this weekend.
Old December 10, 2002, 02:17 AM   #4
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

What's Q3131A? Is it mil'try ball?

I am with Art far as sight in with hunting loads & KW for plinkin'.

Fed's American Eagle has a way inexpensive factory 50 gr HP that shoots way sweet out of my 20" HBAR (1:9) that should be the cat's meow on 'yotes, etc. Obviously, reloading opens up a whole new world.

Shouldn't exit by my milk jub tests if pelt hunting's a concern - & really, one less hole than ball. Has done a P-dog to 300 with fairly explosives results.

& Greybeard.

Biggest problem I have with V-Max & Nosler's BT is that pricey tag. I've found that bare-bones Hornady SpirePoints & the like usually shoot all but as good, a whole lot less & punch the varmit-critters just as well. Even using a Sierra 52 gr Match BT in my .22-250 (the horrors! ) ... Seems to pop 'em right smart - although I'd thing way too tough a jacket for a mere .223 Rem
Old December 10, 2002, 09:14 AM   #5
Bottom Gun

Those Sierra 52 gr BTHP's do very well in a .223. I'd highly recommend them. I've used them for many years and they are my favorite. Sierra's stock number is #1410.
Not only are they the most accurate bullet I've used in my varmint gun, they have always performed well when they hit something. . .even at extreme ranges.
Old December 10, 2002, 11:03 AM   #6
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

About 25 years back I had a heavy-barrelled Ruger 77 in .220 Swift. I loaded the Sierra 52-grain HPBT to around 3,700 or so. Five-shot, 3/8" groups were standard.

Feral cat at 300 or so yards? Shame on him. One less quail-killer, DRT.

Art
Old December 10, 2002, 08:28 PM   #7
Dave R

Varmit ammo would be a little deadlier on the Coyotes, but why not just use your military ammo? It would be more effective on a 20-40 lb. coyote than on a 200lb human. I think a well-placed shot would stop the 'yote dead in his tracks.

Or is this wishful thinking?
Old December 10, 2002, 08:51 PM   #8
Bottom Gun

It's not a good idea to hunt with FMJ's. It won't always stop animals reliably and then you have a very messy situation to deal with.
I'm pretty sure it's also illegal in most states.
Old December 10, 2002, 09:35 PM   #9
Freedom in theSkies

I just did up some 60 gr. Hornady V-Maxs' and grouped well under 1/2" with em.
They are very frangable but still have the mass to kill cleanly and efficiently... Kind of makes me thnk of 'Ol Wile E Coyote swallowing the Acme dynamite... Tsssssssssssss......Kabooom!!!!
Old December 10, 2002, 11:21 PM   #10
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

On jackrabbits at 50 to 75 yards, full-patch bullets from a .223 make a nasty exit wounds. They won't necessarily exit from a cross-body shot on a coyote, but he won't go anywhere. I'd say that inside 100 yards, it won't matter one iota what sort of bullet you use.

Out around 150 or 200 on a coyote, the Sierra 52-grain HPBT works okay from a .223.

Art
Old December 10, 2002, 11:43 PM   #11
voilsb
Registration in progress

IIRC, Q3131A is M193 spec, right? If it fragments in coyotes to tear them up like it does people, it should do just fine.

If I'm wrong, and its M855 spec, then it won't be good past the 150yd line because it won't fragment so well. Try 75gr TAP for heavy ammo that fragments that far out.

Tons and tons and tons of useful info on .223 and 5.56 ammo can be found at the AR-15 Ammo FAQ

Hope that helps.