The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 4, 2019, 07:27 PM   #1
Spur0701

40SW 180 Gr Cast Load for BE-86

I've been loading 9mm and 40SW with BE-86 with great success the last couple of years.....but all those loads have been with JHP or FMJ. I've got a couple of big boxes of some cast .401 at 180 gr and want to load them up but am not finding any data on loading BE-86 for cast......Alliant's web site doesn't have any data for cast, and my google searches aren't turning up any cast loads for 40SW. Anyone have any they can share or advice on working up a load from a jacketed load?
Old January 4, 2019, 08:25 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

It produces high enough velocities that it may require a minimum start pressure that is harder to achieve with lead. You could certainly try it with jacketed bullet starting loads (10% below Alliant's listed loads) and see if the powder burns dirty or you get erratic velocity or other issues. It is also possible they just haven't tested any at this point. You could call Alliant to ask.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 4, 2019, 09:40 PM   #3
Bimus

I have been using BE-86 in 45 ACP in a Uzi with 200 grain cast with great results There are loads for 185 grain cast 45ACP .I know you are looking for 40 s&w the Alliant web site is the only place I found information on this powder .
Old January 12, 2019, 12:31 PM   #4
Spur0701

Just to close out this thread for anyone that might run across it in a search looking for similar info......a member over at Castboolits recommended a load, I tried it and am happy with it, see here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...95#post4547995