The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 30, 2018, 11:12 AM   #1
buckey

D&H .308/7.62X51 Mags

Anyone know how good they are? Can't seem to find them in stock any where.
Thanks,
Old July 30, 2018, 11:18 AM   #2
T. O'Heir

Brownell's shows the 10 rounders($13.99 each) as out of stock. 20 rounders as in stock at $19.99 each. Where you are matters, but if your State thinks a 20 round mag is evil Brownell's will tell you and not ship.
No idea of the quality.
https://www.brownells.com/magazines/...prod95440.aspx
Old July 30, 2018, 03:04 PM   #3
buckey

Here in Michigan we don't have a problem, Yet?
Old July 31, 2018, 08:33 AM   #4
bfoosh006

They are GTG in my PSA .308's and 6.5CM. ( Mine are 20rd steel body, Green followers "retro" SR25 pattern, and 10rd orange follower updated contour,SS (?) mag body )
Never had an issue with either the 10rd or the 20rd from my limited testing.
Dropped free, chambered rounds properly, seated fully loaded.. etc.

( Unlike the Brownell's brand 308 mag... I avoid those like the plague.. mine all spread when partially and fully loaded.. making seating a pita and 0% chance of dropping free )

However... Magpul's run flawlessly, so that is my go to mag

What firearm are you going to using them in ?

I see BCM has some of the contoured SS mag body, 20rd orange follower mags..

Last edited by bfoosh006; July 31, 2018 at 08:51 AM.
Old July 31, 2018, 07:59 PM   #5
buckey

Looking to add a Windham SRC to the herd, looking for the best mags to stock up on. Have a pile of 5.56 D&H mags so was thinking maybe their .308 mags might be good also.
Old July 31, 2018, 08:37 PM   #6
shaunpain

Someone brought up the Magpul SR-25 magazines and they are $20, so that is an option. I have many of them and they work flawlessly. I believe they also make Armalite pattern mags as well these days.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old July 31, 2018, 08:50 PM   #7
buckey

Kinda wondering with the weight of a .308 loaded mag what will happen when dropped on the feed lip's? Someone do the drop test and report back, I'm having a moment of being cheap!
Old July 31, 2018, 09:32 PM   #8
riffraff

In my two "AR10" 's - M&P 10 and an Aero M5, I'm using Magpul's. Am no expert they are both recently purchased.

Magpul does make 3 models of these as far as dimensions - one standard, one short action, and one for ammo that is longer than spec. I run the standard.

Personally if I am gonna shoulder the rifle I prefer the 25 round models - +5 rounds is not much weight or space compared to AR10's which are heavy. If I am going to use a rest then I like the 10 round models, fits better under a bipod... I also like to under-load my mags, using a 10% rule, to keep from squishing the springs - a real concern? not sure, but at least if I'm storing them loaded I put 22 rounds in a 25 round mag, 36 rounds in my 40's, etc.. etc..

I do have some 20's, nothing wrong with them, but what I'll stock up on are 25's and will keep a handful of 10's around for precision stuff.

As far as metal versus plastic mags - personally I'd rather drop a rifle, or put some odd pressure on a mag, or god forbid if I kaboom a rifle, and have the mag be the weak link that is destroyed. I will not run metal mags, got a few, they live in the misc gun parts box - no use for them. Mags can be plentiful compared to a rifle or your safety - a mag being the weak link is the better design.

On a regular basis I pile a duffel bag full of magpul mags of various types (ie like up to 500 rounds worth in a single bag even) and I lug them down the stairs, over the doggie gates, out the front door, into the truck, plopping the bag on the floor here and there as I go, then onto the hood or on the ground, occasionally even dropping the bag or tripping on it - no failures. Pmags are good.
Old August 1, 2018, 05:45 AM   #9
buckey

Riffraff, Thanks for the info! The Magpul .308 mags haven't had the run time their 5.56 mags have so there may still be something to learn about them. I get what your saying about the metal mags with the Brownell mags still needing a lot of work, on the other hand metal .308 mags have been used in a lot of battles and worked rather well.