The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old June 14, 2017, 03:25 PM   #1
ammo.crafter

Holographic vs red dot

So I'm getting on in years and it takes me longer to "find" the dot in my red dot scope on my 1911.

Is there a difference between red dot sights and holographic sights as regards the ability to "find" the dot quickly?
Old June 14, 2017, 05:51 PM   #2
Venom1956

Holosights are actually worse then red dots for me I bought and rma two sights before I realized it was my eye with the problem.

If u wear glasses there are little peep stickers you can apply that should sharpen it up for u
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old June 14, 2017, 08:21 PM   #3
NoSecondBest

Depending on what kind of red dot sight you're using there can be a great deal of difference in finding the dot. The "tin can" types are way easier to find the dot in, and most come with adjustable brightness settings. I use both the tin can type such as an UltraDot and the reflex type such as the Burris FastFire3. It's actually easier to use the tube type and for most applications there is no advantage of one over the other. What kind do you have that you're having trouble finding the dot in? It might not be the sight, it could be your vision causing some of the problem.
Old June 15, 2017, 10:41 AM   #4
g.willikers

^^^
Ditto.
The tube style dots are still useful as an aiming device even if the dot fails.
Old June 16, 2017, 05:49 PM   #5
ammo.crafter

da dot

Thanks for the input.

Due to eye problems my dominant right eye is now my non-dominate eye.

So I shoot handgun with my left eye and dominate right hand.

I do score very high in competition even though picking up the dot takes a bit more time, I make it with faster shooting in timed fire.

I'm using a Tasco pro Point red dot.
Old June 16, 2017, 06:06 PM   #6
NoSecondBest

Are you shooting with both eyes open? If not, that's probably most of your problem finding the dot due to your cross-dominance. The nice thing about a dot sight is all you have to do is look and the dots there....and it doesn't matter which eye is seeing it. Tasco made a decent red dot sight. I used them back when I was starting to shoot competition and they worked well for me. My only complaint with them was that after a couple of years of use the contacts would quit working and the brightness couldn't be set where you wanted it. Most all of them did that back then, even the more expensive ones. Now the contacts are all plated on most of them.
Old June 18, 2017, 12:22 PM   #7
g.willikers

Mike Seeklander recently had a discussion, on his American Warrior podcast, about his being left eyed dominant and shooting right handed.
I also suffer from that sometimes when my right dominant eye poops out.
Following his advice, it's really not that big a deal.
It just requires a very slight movement of the head to find the sights, hardly any adjustment at all.
Or maybe I just have a skinny head and don't need much room in there.