The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 27, 2013, 09:05 PM   #1
Bob Wright

Musings~Future purchases.......

I've been through a bunch of revolvers, and a few auto loaders, in my time. Bought most just for the first hand learning experience. The Single Action revolver has always been my pick of the litter. Now I'm trying to phase out my double action revolvers and replace them with Single Actions. Just acquired my two most sought after, the Colt New Frontier in .44 Special. Need to have a transfusion in my funds, but thinking about:

1. A Hammerli made Virginian, .45 Colt 4 3/4" to 7 1/2" barrel.

2. Colt New Frontier, .45 Colt, 4 3/4"

3. A Ruger three-screw Blackhawk, .357 Magnum, 7 1/2" barrel.

4. Colt New Frontier .357 Magnum, 7 1/2" barrel.

My use for a 7 1/2" barreled .357 Magnum single action has diminished over the years, but still would like to wring one out. Same goes for a similar gun in .32-20.

Don't hunt anymore, most of my hunting buddies are all dead and buried. And my range companion and I are the only two left alive of that group.

But I still want to wring out a few more single actions!

Bob Wright
Old May 28, 2013, 12:36 AM   #2
Sevens

How about a Ruger Blackhawk chambered for .30 Carbine?

It might seem surprising to some that Ruger fit the Blackhawk for use with .30 Carbine BEFORE they ever marketed one in .45 Colt.
Old May 28, 2013, 08:19 AM   #3
Bob Wright

Well, for some reason the .30 Carbine Blackhawk leaves me cold. Like the current .357 Magnum New Models, the gun is just too oversized for the cartridge. What I'm having in mind, more or less, are Colt SAA sized revolvers, or maybe even a tad smaller.

Bob Wright
Old May 28, 2013, 10:27 AM   #4
Sevens

Can't argue with that. When you take their .44 Magnum cylinder...and punch tiny little .308" holes in it, you are left with a heap of size and even more weight. 44 ounces, I believe the spec sheet says. And 7.5" is the only available barrel length.

It is different, and it's fun. But unwieldy? For certain.
Old May 28, 2013, 07:38 PM   #5
Buzzcook

Have you looked at any of the higher end .22s? The Freedom Arms rimfires might be worth a look.

Old May 28, 2013, 08:14 PM   #6
Bob Wright

Buzzcook said:
Quote:
Have you looked at any of the higher end .22s? The Freedom Arms rimfires might be worth a look.

But they're stainless steel! And not quite so handsome either.

Bob Wright
Old May 28, 2013, 09:16 PM   #7
Super Sneaky Steve

Do you have a top break yet Bob? You gotta have a top break!
Old May 29, 2013, 05:55 PM   #8
Bob Wright

Super Sneaky Steve,

Man, I literally cut my teeth on top-breaks. Bought many when I was a kid and they could be bought from second hand shops or junk shops for $1.50~$2.00. Most wouldn't fire but I could get them into shooting shape for little or nothing.

My favorite was a pristine Marlin .38 S&W with nickel plating. I had the service station build up the frame lugs with brazing rod and filed them down to correct size, and made a pair of target stocks from walnut. Gave it to a friend of mine, who gave it to a girl friend whose husband took issue with that.

Bob Wright