The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 20, 2013, 10:32 AM   #26
EMN89

I have killed quite a few squirrels right around 100 yards (give or take a few) most of them being head shots, if I don't get a head shot the squirrel normally gets to live for the moment. A friend of mine also hunts squirrels with his .17 hmr and has killed many squirrels with head shots at 100 plus yards, you just have to be patient and wait for the shot you want.
Old January 20, 2013, 10:46 AM   #27
steveNChunter

I have never squirrel hunted with a .17hmr. I was just speaking from my experience shooting targets with a Stevens 310 I used to own. The CCI 17 grain hollow points I was using were very, very accurate when there was no wind, but all over the place at a light breeze. I would imagine the 20 grainers do better in the wind. I wasnt knocking the .17hmr by any means.
Old January 20, 2013, 11:03 AM   #28
GreaseMonkey4Hire

Ive used nothing but the .17HMR for squirrils for the past 5 years. As long as you have a clean head shot, the damage to the body is non existant. I dont see any problem with it as long as you hit what your aiming at!
Old January 20, 2013, 02:14 PM   #29
alex0535

I have definitely been to places in the United States where the .17 hmr would be a lot less useful. Here we get 5-10 mile per hour breezes and occasional gusty days that are not conducive to hunting. It does really well here because it isn't very windy and shots are usually not so far that wind has much effect.

Here it is very possible to hit them at 100+ yards on a calm day, you just have to take your time, note the wind, and wait for the right shot. Its pretty intense when you spot a couple of them at 100 yards running through the trees way out there and you get them in your rifle scope tracking them as they run full speed through the trees until one finally stops long enough for you to squeeze the trigger and you see it fall out of the tree. Whenever I can manage a shot like that it is satisfying and it makes the heart race.
Old January 21, 2013, 09:33 PM   #30
tynimiller

There is no excuse for blowing good meat up for nothing more than the joy of shooting....stick to .22 for squirrel or .410 shot.
Old January 21, 2013, 09:46 PM   #31
coyota1

I still like using my marlin 25M with solids. The meat stays intact.
Old January 22, 2013, 05:38 PM   #32
dbaum

tynimiller- I believe with the proper bullet and shot selection-no meat will be waisted.And the 17hmr blows the .22 lr or 410 away in the range catagory.I'm talken late season, with no leaves on trees.I can see squirrels a long ways off-and they can see me.If I can take them at 50-75 yards I will.crunchy snow and wide open view makes it tough to sneek up on them.
Old January 22, 2013, 05:46 PM   #33
coyota1

This thread reminds me of the time I shot a rabbit with a 223. It vacuumed the guts, heart, and lungs right out of it. All the meat was intact.