The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 8, 2012, 09:16 PM   #1
Bandy1980

Hello All!!!! First timer here!!!!!

Hello all. I'm a first timer here. Hoping to learn some stuff. Just started reloading about 5 months ago, and I love it!!!! I have a 25-06 that I have been experimenting with(70gr Sierra GK HP & 120gr Sierra GK HP). Seem to prefer the 120gr a little better has slightly less recoil than the 70gr, have some 85gr nosler that I haven't loaded yet. With the 70gr. i'm hitting consistant at 200-250yds, same with the 120gr. The 70gr I have been using for coyotes and such, the 120gr I will be using for deer and elk come Nov. Also have a .45LC wheelgun that I have reloaded about 100 wad cutters and 25 HP, both are 200gr and I can't tell the difference other than the price. Well hope to maybe learn something new. And who knows maybe make some friends. Just thought I would say hello. Later.....
Old October 8, 2012, 10:25 PM   #2
rg1

Hello, firsttimer! I enjoyed working up loads for my 25-06 Remington Sendero probably more than any other rifle I've loaded for. Possibly because it seemed to shoot all loads pretty good and it responded to load tweaking better than any other rifle I've ever loaded for. I shoot Hornady's 87 gr. SP for varmints and have loads worked up for 100 and 117 grain Hornady's should I ever hunt deer again. Some 25-06's are reported to show a definite preference for either light bullets or heavy ones and don't shoot both equally well. Probably the favorite 25-06 bullet, at least what I've read, is the Nosler 100 gr. Ballistic Tip. Seems everybody has great success loading them and they are a good deer hunting bullet. For elk I'd want the best premium bullet I could get, possibly Nosler Partition or one of the new bonded bullets???
Old October 9, 2012, 08:03 AM   #3
elkslayer4x5

Hello and welcome to the site, I'm sure that you'll find lots of great help here as there a lot of knowledgable guy who post here. I have'nt loaded any light bullets for my .25-06, as ever since I got it, my grandson has been using it for deer and elk, might get it back soon as he in now wanting to move uo to a .270. My best load so far has been a Rem case, fed primer, Hodgdon H4350 start at 44 grs to max of 47.7 pushing a Hornady 117 BTSP Interlock, my rifle likes 47 grs at about 2900 fps ( just guessing, no chrony ) wll shoot them less than an inch at 100 yds, I'm happy with the load, and the kid is happy with the recoil, and the downrange KE, so we're sticking with this load at least till after this season, made a fine shot at the end of last year, 200+ yds dumped a nice blacktail, dropped him like a rock DRT. Grandson says, 'don't change anything, this load works'.
Old October 9, 2012, 08:59 AM   #4
chiefr

I have always enjoyed developing a load for a specific rifle. Have tried many combinations of powders and bullets of 100 gr or more in the 25-06.
Having experimented with the 25-06. My preferered accuracy load is using Sierra 100gr bullets and 54.5 or 55.5 Reloader 22.

IMHO, the lighter grain bullets are OK, but if you do a considerable amount of shooting with the lighter bullets at speeds over 3500fps or greater, barrel wear is a certainty.
Old October 9, 2012, 02:59 PM   #5
danny42984

Welcome aboard

I'm pretty new myself but I can say this is a great board and the members here are awsome and very very helpful. I look forward to paying it forward.