The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 28, 2009, 06:34 AM   #1
tpcollins

What cleans out the flash hole?

I've only loaded new brass so far and used a uniformer on the primer pockets as well as a deburrer in the inside for the flash hole. The pictures of the pockets cleaners look similar to the uniformer but I assume these only scrape out the crud and don't shave brass off the bottom. But how does the flash hole get cleaned out - some type of pick? Thanks.
Old April 28, 2009, 07:00 AM   #2
Dingoboyx

I use an acetylene torch pick set

You get them at welding/tool shops. They fold into a 'swiss army' type tool. There is about 8 in a set. They look like tiny rat tail files. You dont have to 'file' the hole, just choose the right size (a bit smaller than the hole0 and push any crud out.

They are good for cleaning nipples on cap and balls as well. I have a primer cup cleaner, but have rarely had to use it.... I just poke the flashholes and look to see there is no loose scale in the primer pocket, sometimes just scratch around a little to get rid of the big flakes, then start priming

I deprime AFTER I tumble the cases, otherwise the media gets stuck in the flash hole
Old April 28, 2009, 08:26 AM   #3
10 Spot Terminator

RCBS makes a tool that is like a long, thin, screwdriver with a tiny cutter bit in the end. It has sized collars that are interchangeable to slip over the shank of the tool that fits inside of the case necks. It is quick and easy and does a great job . I have used it on thousands of cases . If you are talking about just getting cleaning media out they also make a neck brush tool that will knock out all but a chunk jammed in the flash hole and then the flash hole deburr tool is needed.
Old April 28, 2009, 09:07 AM   #4
Dannyl

cleaning the primer pockets

Hi,
my method ( I reload for 3006) is as follows:
1. toss the recently used cases in the case tumbler for a good initial cleanup.
2. lub the cases, resize & deprime.
3. wipe off any case lub left (also from the inside of the neck)
4. clean the primer pockets with an RCBS tool that is made for it, it is a screw-driver handle with a small brush that is screwwed into it.
5. put the cases in the tumbler again for final polishing ( 15 min)
6. inspect each primer pocket, and if there is a grain of media stuck in the flash hole I dislodge it GENTLY with a small screw-driver.
7. check the cases for length and trim as required.
8. Prime etc...
Rgds,
Danny