The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old February 6, 2012, 10:57 PM   #1
turps

My favorite pistols

I acquired this late war Browning H.P. at the last gun show. The pisto lcame with capture papers and the 1911 holster adjusted by the GI to carry his prize. I added the others from my collection. The soldier attached a German medal to the front of the holster and my friend, who sold me the pistol, will give it to me at the next show.
Thanks for looking,
Joe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 003.JPG (120.7 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg 004.JPG (120.6 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg 015.JPG (122.2 KB, 93 views)
Old February 6, 2012, 11:00 PM   #2
turps

The added Browning H.P.s
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.JPG (116.3 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg 002.JPG (122.4 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg 012.JPG (130.7 KB, 54 views)
Old February 6, 2012, 11:52 PM   #3
80viking

You have a lovely family.

I wish my FM Hi-Power had that heritage!
Old February 11, 2012, 04:32 PM   #4
Winchester_73

Joe

Anytime you want $400 for any of those hipowers, give me a ring!

Very nice guns. I missed your newest hi power by less than 20 min because had I discovered it, it would have went home with me. I only have this hi power, 1944 production IIRC.

Old February 11, 2012, 08:06 PM   #5
turps

They are are all very nice military pistols! You have a nice collection. I like the Brownings as much as Lugers annd 1911AIs. In nice original war time condition, they can't be beat.They are one nice pistol!
Thanks for showing,
Joe
Old February 11, 2012, 08:14 PM   #6
TheGoldenState

Winchester, WOW. Talk about pristine.

What is the top and bottom?
Old February 11, 2012, 08:19 PM   #7
Chris_B

unless my eyes deceive me greatly, that is a P.38 and an Astra, top and bottom
Old February 11, 2012, 09:12 PM   #8
TheGoldenState

Quote:
Thanks, I want both

Any idea of the availability and price, off hand?
Old February 11, 2012, 09:31 PM   #9
Chris_B

As always, "it depends"
Old February 12, 2012, 05:41 PM   #10
Winchester_73

Quote:
Correct. The P38 is a late war Oct 1944 made V block CYQ with the late war cogwheel hammer. Here is a picture of both hammer styles, cogwheel on the left. Cogwheels most likely start in 1944 and end in 1945 when production shortcuts became even more obvious.

(P38 on left is top in the first photo from the other post while P38 on right is the P38 pictured lower in this post)

The astra and P38 from the group photo are both all matching non import. The Astra is a 600/43, one of the 31k made for the Nazis by the Spanish. This is one of the ones that was not delivered, and captured by the Allies. They are 9mm luger, not largo as many of the astras are IE the 400. You can find a 600/43 for around $400 if you're patient. If you want one of the Nazi delivered ones, maybe $2000 or so. Mine is not import marked however. Here is a thread that covers them. Mine would be considered second contract, SN 22XXX.

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=384530

The P38 will run $400 for an import marked dipped shooter to say $5000 for a 480 code rig (480 was the original Walther code with AC being used later) or more for certain specimens. There are a lot of bad P38s floating around, educate yourself first, buy one second, which is how I do things.

I just got this P38 at the same gunshow Turps was at. It was $625, CYQ E block, red mottled grips. Now of course I think this was a great price, but just to give you an idea. CYQs are most common, but any P38 thats correct is no longer a walk in the park to find.

Old February 13, 2012, 06:17 PM   #11
FrederickDav

I bought a Soviet "rebuild" from SOG last summer. No matching numbers, extensive pitting but it shoots just fine! It was about half price of a correct one.
Old February 13, 2012, 07:41 PM   #12
Herr Walther

I cannot tell from the photograph, but is the cyq's slide lever smooth on the thumb surface?

That is a very nicely finished cyq for so late in the war. Most are much rougher than this with very thin finish.
"...a historian asked what had happened to the German people for them to accept a criminal government. Unfortunately, nothing needed to happen. In nations across the world people accept government crime."
-------------------------------------
"In democracies as well as dictatorships, subordinates illegally obey their rulers. Subordinates who remain true to their oaths of office by opposing their rulers are rare."
Old February 18, 2012, 02:34 PM   #13
Winchester_73

Quote:
I cannot tell from the photograph, but is the cyq's slide lever smooth on the thumb surface?

That is a very nicely finished cyq for so late in the war. Most are much rougher than this with very thin finish.
Every P38 that I've owned had a smooth slide lever although I've yet to get a Mauser made P38.

They are both pretty nicely finished for being so late in the war. The V block gun is a Oct 1944 (fairly late war) and the E block with the red mottled grips is July 1943 which I don't really consider late war.

Here is a rougher finished P38 that I had, b block - April 1943. Note the rough machining and lack of polishing on the slide.

Old February 19, 2012, 08:31 PM   #14
Herr Walther

That's unusual for an early '43 slide to be so rough. Even from Spreewerke. The frame and barrel seem much better.
"...a historian asked what had happened to the German people for them to accept a criminal government. Unfortunately, nothing needed to happen. In nations across the world people accept government crime."
-------------------------------------
"In democracies as well as dictatorships, subordinates illegally obey their rulers. Subordinates who remain true to their oaths of office by opposing their rulers are rare."