The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 26, 2018, 11:08 PM   #1
Lavan

Lee dies question

I just got a single stage Lee press and a set of carbide dies for 45 ACP and I'm totally mystified.
What locks the big nut on the dies?
I used to have RCBS dies and there was an Allen jam nut to lock the die depth.
These have a rubber O-ring.
Is that all there is to lock the depth of each die?

I've read the instructions several times and still can't figure it out.

Any info appreciated.

Old May 26, 2018, 11:16 PM   #2
Astocks2622

Yep. Set the depth, and lightly tighten the jam nut. I've never had an issue with then moving, even with large rifle cartridges.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
Old May 26, 2018, 11:23 PM   #3
Lavan

Okay.
Can they ever be loosened again?
Old May 27, 2018, 12:30 AM   #4
Ruga Booga

Yes. Lefty loosy
Old May 27, 2018, 12:55 AM   #5
reddog81

The Lee rings can be replaced with rings from any other company. The biggest problem I have with with the seating stems. They can loosen and the OAL can shift if you aren't paying attention.
Old May 27, 2018, 05:18 AM   #6
Doug Lee

I use an end wrench on my Lee dies, just snug it up.
Old May 27, 2018, 06:34 AM   #7
cptjack

what is an end wrench
Old May 27, 2018, 06:47 AM   #8
Doug Lee

any open end fixed size wrench, or open end / box end combination.
Old May 27, 2018, 07:09 AM   #9
Lavan

I may be dense but I'm still not seeing how they can be changed unless that whole "quick change" gizmo that screws into the actual press is left on the die

Confession: I haven't yet tried them. I'm in initial assembly mode and just trying to see how snugging up rubber will stay consistent.

The press only comes with one quick change gizmo.

Old May 27, 2018, 07:26 AM   #10
kmw1954

Lavan it sounds as if you are describing the breech lock system on that press. The breech lock uses a bushing also with each die. The die gets inserted into the bushing and then locked down to the bushing and then the bushing gets inserted into the press. Do a quick youtube search for the Lee Breech Lock. They can show you quicker than I can explain it. Good luck
Old May 27, 2018, 07:33 AM   #11
Nathan

I get you....I replace mine with Hornady lock rings.

The Lee design is to set the die. Tighten the lock ring holding the die in place. Remove using only the big lock ring only and it shouldn't slip..it might not, but I like to lock my settings for sure.
Old May 27, 2018, 08:08 AM   #12
pete2

If you gotta use Lee dies, get some rings with set screws. No way I could remove the dies and maintain the settings. If you have a turret press just install and leave them installed. Poor design but Lee ain't gonna change it. Note: RCBS and Redding make good stuff. Hint Hint---------------
Old May 27, 2018, 09:08 AM   #13
Lavan

I am regretting buying a Lee loader.
This seems to be a real monkeycrap setup.
You get a press and a 3 die set with ONE quick change lock collet.

And I'll BET that Sportman's Warehouse has NO ...parts... for this thing.

Sooooo..... I get to TRY to find some Hornady lock rings.

Well, kiss THIS weekend "tryout" of the new "press."
Old May 27, 2018, 09:51 AM   #14
lamarw

Return your single stage press and buy a Lee turret 4 hole turret press. You can use it like a single stage if you desire to learn on or simply use it as a higher capacity turret press.
Old May 27, 2018, 10:07 AM   #15
kmw1954

Lavan, try here if you have one close by. https://www.cabelas.com/product/shoo...1.uts?slotId=8
Old May 27, 2018, 10:44 AM   #16
mikld

There is nothing wrong with Lee's system (other reloading equipment manufacturers are using this design too). Far from "monkey crap".You install a die in a breech-lock bushing, install the assembly in the press, adjust it and "lock" the die in place in the bushing. When changing dies, remove the hole assembly from the press. The bushings use an "interrupted thread" breech lock system just like heavy artillery; slide the breech lock bushing/die in place and turn the bushing/die about 1/2 turn to lock it in place. Next use of that particular die is simple and no (or very little) adjustment is needed. Yes bushings are needed for each die.

If you don't like the system, just lock one bushing in place in the press (snug it down in place with an application of red lok-tite; permanent installation.).

The O-ring Lee lock rings are simple and work as designed.On an O-ring lock nut, when snugged down, stays in place by the O-ring exerting an upward force, snugging the threads, acting just like a "jam nut", preventing the die from turning. I have used Lee dies with their O-ring lock nuts since the mid nineties, in single stage presses and on a turret press and experienced no "drifting adjustments". I'm a life long machinist/mechanic and perhaps I just understand tools and the principles behind thread theory and know how to put these theories to use...

My dad used to tell me "First, ya gotta be smarter than the tool"...

Last edited by mikld; May 27, 2018 at 10:59 AM.
Old May 27, 2018, 11:06 AM   #17
Lavan

I just tried the snugging down on the interrupted thread breech lock.

Fine.

Then I removed the die to see if I could install the other dies in the breech lock.

Whoops.... the locking nut is only FINGER TIGHT!
If I REALLY ..."snug" it down, it does not want to come OUT of the breech lock.

I can see how this could be very easy but only if I get another 2 breech locks to make them "instant."

Do you not need SEPARATE breech locks for each die?

This is maddening.
Old May 27, 2018, 11:08 AM   #18
Lavan

Maybe that red Lok Tite makes more sense than getting more lock nuts or breech locks.

But then God help me if I ever need to change settings or height or ???
Old May 27, 2018, 11:11 AM   #19
Lavan

The only reason I even got this thing is to load for ONE caliber.

In another thread, I explained my unique hearing loss and am ..trying.. to set up a way to load powder puff loads in 45 ACP ....ONLY!

That's why I don't want a turret press that is much better.

I can tolerate factory noise in everything up to that damn 45.

9mm and even 357 are fine.

I'm just trying to set up a way to load down for the ACP

And only to avoid selling the gun. Took me a LONG time to find my M25 Smith and I want to shoot it with mild loads.
Old May 27, 2018, 11:33 AM   #20
kmw1954

Lavan it looks to me as if you are getting angry over a lack of understanding. Understanding of what was required of the press and how to set it up in the first place.

The single stage press in the most simple device to use. They all work and get set up the same way. The "new" breech lock presses now use a bushing so the dies can be changed quickly. So yes each die needs a bushing. Otherwise by locking the bushing in place it then becomes no different than any other single stage press that does not use a bushing. The dies still need to be screwed in and adjusted.
Old May 27, 2018, 11:44 AM   #21
Wendyj

The inserts are pretty cheap. I've got 22 die sets and insertsfor all dies. Every time you buy a set of dies order the insets you need. I was out when I started 7 mm mag and just put one in and used one to resize my brass. Took it out to seat until I got more. They are sold in 3 packs for around 6-7.00 I finger tight but on bottle neck once my headspace is right I use a wrench and tighten a little more. The pin that pops up is spring loaded but if your insert is stuck just tap it with screwdriver handle or use channel lock to wiggle insert back in line. I like it but all my hand gun are on a turret now. You can be precise on. Turret. I'm loading for my 44 mag and using powder through die for exact powder each time. I trim my brass before loading. I don't trim 9 mm as I've never had one stretch. Your downloaded 45 probably will never stretch your brass either. My 44 only does first few firings. Don't donwload so low you get a squib. Bullet didn't exit barrel. Good luck. You will enjoy I'm sure. It's an addiction.
Old May 27, 2018, 11:46 AM   #22
Lavan

I used to reload a LOT!

Had RCBS stuff and only bought Lee to keep the cost down for the aforementioned reason. ONE CALIBER!

The only thing that I am "angry" about is how Lee does not explain clearly that a separate breech lock is required for EACH die.

Had I know that one leeetle thing, I would have naturally ordered them at the time I got the setup.

I'll get it working. I'll use it. I'll remain a bit miffed that the mfr doesn't provide much info on what is needed to set it up.

Hell, they'd even be able to charge a bit more.

Old May 27, 2018, 11:46 AM   #23
CLYA

From reading this whole thread, it appears that everything is actually "there", to complete a load of 45 ACPs, without the requirement of picking up more parts, etc. The O-rings work as intended. Some, even prefer the O-ring method.

I own and use, dies from quite a number of manufacturers. Redding, RCBS, Hornady, Lyman, as well as Lee's. And I'll still use the O-ring, because, …...as the machinist said in a prior reply, they do work, as long as you know how they work. I too, once worked in a machine shop, as the repairman of machines.
Old May 27, 2018, 12:30 PM   #24
kmw1954

Levan I just checked a couple retailers and it looks like depending on where you go the product description isn't very complete. So I can see how you would feel misled or that it was incomplete.

So now step back, get yourself a nice cold beverage, calm down and start over, knowing what you know now. Doesn't pay to get worked up. Once you get started I think you will be happy with what you bought. Good luck!
Old May 27, 2018, 01:15 PM   #25
AL45

I've been using a Lee single stage press and Lee dies for about 10 years. I reload, .308, 7.35mm, .357, .45 Colt, .45 ACP, .380, .223. I have never had one single failure on the press or in the gun. Just screw the specific Lee die in the press according to instructions and while holding the die, tighten the jam nut against the press. Started out reloading .308 on the Lee Loader that uses a mallet instead of a press. It works also. My son killed his first Deer with ammo from it.