The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 18, 2012, 07:00 PM   #1
siloshooter

beretta storm vs. glock 19

have the 19 , like the gun .
handled the storm and like it also. like the design and the tilting barell.

have thought about working a trade , my g 19 w/4 glock clips for the compact storm. have no REAL need to do this ....just a thought cause the storm has caught my eye . but , i HAVE NOT fired the storm.

those of you in the know from working / owing the storm i need to hear from !

thanks silo
Old September 18, 2012, 07:03 PM   #2
chris in va

It's been my experience to never buy a gun before renting first. The PX4 may not work for you.
Old September 18, 2012, 07:17 PM   #3
LockedBreech

As an owner of a much-beloved and flawless-performing PX4 Storm (4 years, 5 types of JHP, about 10 types of ammo overall, absolutely perfect), I still recommend you stick to the 19, for the simple reason that I would never trade a gun that has proven itself to me for a gun that has not.

My position is very much the minority. A lot of people will disagree. But I strongly dislike unnecessary sells or trades. You'll regret it at some point in the future. I'd save a bit of money and then get the Storm in addition to the 19.
Old September 18, 2012, 08:46 PM   #4
Crankgrinder

A pawn shop up the road for me sold a full size storm 9mm for 350$ i believe, if you look a used one will be cheap. I thought of doing that same trade a while back the other way around wanted to trade the storm for the g19. long story about that, anyway it didnt happen and now i have both. Each is just as good as the other imho. Wouldnt give one up for the other either.
Old September 18, 2012, 08:49 PM   #5
Gats Italian

Any day you can rid yourself of a Glock is a good one.
Old September 18, 2012, 08:56 PM   #6
TunnelRat

Quote:
Any day you can rid yourself of a Glock is a good one.
Oh lawds.
Maintain situational awareness
Old September 18, 2012, 11:02 PM   #7
DallasCMT

I shot the PX4 compact and didn't like it as much as the full size. Plus, I prefer an external safety of sorts which the PX4 has.

Fortunately I'm not far from a range that rents the 17, 19, and all three PX4 sizes. I fired them all and settled on the full PX4 INOX (stainless) bought from the Beretta store in Dallas.

Check the PX4 reliability too. Maybe it's not true, but I found a number of reviews saying the full size and sub-compact we're problem free but the compact (mid size) had occasional feed/jam issues.
Old September 18, 2012, 11:32 PM   #8
tdawg

I am more than happy with my Px4. I've never shot a clock, so can't speak to that. I bought the Px4 after a lot of hands-on time, and I wanted a hammer as opposed to a striker. The Px4 fits my small hands comfortably and shoots dead-on accurate.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old September 18, 2012, 11:34 PM   #9
tdawg

*Glock.

Old September 19, 2012, 04:15 AM   #10
Justice06RR

PX4 Storm is an awesome pistol. Glock is too, but the Storm has some features that the Glock does not have.

DA/SA trigger, safety, tilting barrel, nicer finish, etc. I shoot a Glock19 for 3-gun matches and it works just fine, but I would not hesitate to buy or trade for a PX4. Its a more "refined" pistol IMO.

A Block is a Block... so to speak. Simple, reliable, no fuss pistol. But i'd rather prefer to have some nice pistol with added features sometimes i.e. H&K's, M&P's, etc.
Old September 19, 2012, 08:27 AM   #11
Crow Hunter

Depending on how much you shoot, you might not like the Beretta.

I don't have 1st hand experience, but from what I gather from guys over at Pistolforum.com, who do A LOT of shooting, the rotating barrel setup in the Beretta has had durability issues in the past. (ToddG used to work for Beretta)

http://pistol-forum.com/forum.php?

But of course, YMMV.

Good luck.
Old September 19, 2012, 03:56 PM   #12
Theohazard

Quote:
siloshooter posted:
handled the storm and like it also. like the design and the tilting barell.
Quote:
Justice06RR posted:
the Storm has some features that the Glock does not have. DA/SA trigger, safety, tilting barrel
The only PX4 with a tilting barrel is the sub-compact. The Glock and the sub-compact PX4 have tilting barrels, as do most modern locked-breech designs that use the ejection port for lock-up. The standard and compact PX4s have barrels that rotate instead of tilt.
Old September 19, 2012, 06:05 PM   #13
Gats Italian

Quote:
Depending on how much you shoot, you might not like the Beretta.

I don't have 1st hand experience, but from what I gather from guys over at Pistolforum.com, who do A LOT of shooting, the rotating barrel setup in the Beretta has had durability issues in the past. (ToddG used to work for Beretta)

http://pistol-forum.com/forum.php?

But of course, YMMV.

"Data is real; interpretation of data is reality." - Brian Newbill
Was that link supposed to be to some useful and factual information?
Old September 19, 2012, 06:50 PM   #14
arthury

I have never owned a Glock but I am assuming their triggers are similar to other striker-fired guns, like the S&W M&P line of pistols.

Trigger
The Beretta Px4 Storm Full Size, on the other hand, has a trigger that is similar to 92 series. When firing in SA mode, the trigger is very crisp, no creep and breaks almost ... I say, almost, like a 1911. I have not seen (or should I say, feel) a polymer gun that has triggers like this before.

Recoil Management
Additionally, owing to the rotating barrel, the felt recoil is better managed. In a direct comparison when shooting at rapid mode, my follow-up shots were visibly faster with the Px4 vs CZ 75 SP01 or 92A1.

Last edited by arthury; September 19, 2012 at 10:17 PM.
Old September 19, 2012, 07:21 PM   #15
Crow Hunter

Quote:
Was that link supposed to be to some useful and factual information?
Apparently the link didn't show the search results.

Better?

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...tta+durability

There are some other comments on there as well if you modify the search.

Again, I have no personal experience, but I respect Todd's opinion.

Good luck.
Old September 19, 2012, 07:32 PM   #16
Nanuk

Why do you want to get rid of the Glock? Do you just want a new gun? Save up and buy the Beretta. I would never trade a Glock for a Beretta.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old September 19, 2012, 07:39 PM   #17
Dead

I never met a gun I did not like, that said I will say that a few things can be done before purchasing.

1) Try it out, like it? get it!... Keep the glock!
2) Keep the glock and discover you do not like the storm.
Old September 19, 2012, 07:41 PM   #18
arch308

I agree with Nanuk, keep the Glock. I had a Storm sub-compact but found it to be a little ammo finicky. Was a good shooter tho'. When it jammed with rounds that my Glocks and P226 ran flawlessly I got rid of it.
Old September 19, 2012, 08:04 PM   #19
iMagUdspEllr

I'm not a fan of DA/SA. I'm really not a fan of DA/SA guns with safeties on the slide (clearing a malfunction isn't fun and you can accidentally engage the safety).

I would look at an HK P30S or the FN FNX-9. Either can be carried condition I and avoid having to use DA altogether. The safety isn't mounted on the slide on either pistol also.

If you don't mind DA/SA then you can also look at a Sig Sauer P229 or other Sigs.
Old September 19, 2012, 08:37 PM   #20
Crankgrinder

real honest the reason i once thought on trading my storm for a glock was because the storm is so limited in available accessories. Not very many holsters made for it, sights are hard to find and mags are expensive. Great gun though, very smooth shooter with a real nice trigger in sa. Like i said i wouldnt trade one for the other at all. Hit up a second hand shop and im sure youll find a storm that once belonged to a guy who already did what youre thinking of doing, and itll be 150$ or so below shelf price. Ive tried to trade my storm on a cz too, mostly because i wanted something different at the time. It didnt work out. When you try to trade or sell a storm people act like they dont want one but as i said then its their loss. You want one find one used, youll get it cheap and save some $$.
Old September 19, 2012, 08:43 PM   #21
ScaryWoody

Down the road you will regret trading your Glock for the Beretta. Just shoot your Glock until that impulse goes away.
Old September 19, 2012, 09:08 PM   #22
CDR_Glock

I have many Glocks. I had one PX4. I put it up for consignment. A gun must have as many commonalities with my others. That part being a safety that works in the same manner as the others. It is also an odd profile and design and carry is uncomfortable. Double action shooting sucks. It is not what I like.

The Glock you can master easily. Fewer parts and fewer chances of hardware failure.

The storm is an easy shooter but a decocker, safety and heavy first shoot is not ideal for most. It's a "fun gun". That's it.
Old September 19, 2012, 09:29 PM   #23
tdawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDR_Glock View Post
I have many Glocks. I had one PX4. I put it up for consignment. A gun must have as many commonalities with my others. That part being a safety that works in the same manner as the others. It is also an odd profile and design and carry is uncomfortable. Double action shooting sucks. It is not what I like.

The Glock you can master easily. Fewer parts and fewer chances of hardware failure.

The storm is an easy shooter but a decocker, safety and heavy first shoot is not ideal for most. It's a "fun gun". That's it.
Not looking to start a war--people should happily shoot what they like--but the Px4 has only three parts that come apart for cleaning: the grip/base, the barrel, and the slide. I can't imagine a simpler gun to take down.

Again, I've never owned a glock, so I've never taken one apart, but compared to a colt .380, a Beretta .380, and my dad's 1911, I can't imagine fewer parts.

Old September 19, 2012, 09:37 PM   #24
Theohazard

Having disassembled and reassembled both many times, I can tell you that for me the Glock is slightly simpler than the PX4. They both have the same number of parts after basic disassembly, but I've found that the PX4's buffer assembly is slightly more difficult to re-insert and the barrel doesn't pop out quite as easily. I'm not saying the PX4 is in any way difficult or complicated, just that the Glock is slightly easier.
Old September 19, 2012, 09:50 PM   #25
TunnelRat

Quote:
For you maybe. There are other folks out there that like DA/SA. Different strokes for different folks. I can understand if it's not your cup of tea, but that doesn't make it a bad gun.
Maintain situational awareness