The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 20, 2010, 02:01 PM   #26
dgludwig

Quote:
Quote:
My new Model 92 came with three, new factory magazines...

OP stated the gun was purchased "USED" so where does the above quote come close to helping with the question at hand.
Well, if you had read pgdion's post where he stated:

Quote:
Doesn't sound like a magazine problem but I'd run the 3 again and if it's always the same one, I'd scrutinize it pretty well. that would indicate it's a magazine problem even as unlikely as it sounds. Also, Berettas come with 2 mags, if you received 3, at least one was purchased later. make sure the extra mag is the same and not a cheap problematic unit. I've heard the 92 doesn't like some off brand magazines (never used anything but factory ones in mine so I don't know).
...you might understand why I thought the assumption that all three magazines weren't factory just because there were three might be confusing to the op-whether he bought the pistol new or used.
Old May 17, 2018, 01:18 PM   #27
WPace

I just read this thread as it is relevant to me. I just bought a brand new 92FS and am having the same issues.

Clean gun, works fine for 200 or so rounds, then starts to fail to feed. Multiple mags, multiple shooters, different ammo. If I clean it, it is fine for another 200 or so rounds.

Seems extremely susceptible to getting a little dirty. Should I take to gunsmith to review?
Old May 17, 2018, 01:45 PM   #28
TailGator

If you'll post more details about the failures, there are some very knowledgeable people here who will be willing to chime in with suggestions. Without that, my only thoughts are that the 92FS is usually more reliable and not as sensitive to cleaning issues as you are experiencing, and that Berettas tend to like to "run wet," i.e., be lightly but thoroughly lubricated. More info will help. And it's OK to start your own thread - reviving one approaching years old might cause some people to pass it up.
Old May 17, 2018, 02:43 PM   #29
745SW

Use ammo labeled NATO for diagnostics. The last batch I bought is Winchester. IMO the vast majority of pistols chambered in 9mm are service type and can give issues with light loads.
Old May 18, 2018, 06:36 AM   #30
Don P

Quote:
Seems extremely susceptible to getting a little dirty. Should I take to gunsmith to review
Nonsense about being susceptible to getting dirty. Think about the military in the field. Do you think they have time to clean their Beretta's every 200 rounds??? Every Beretta that I have seen at the range having issues has been to lack of lubrication. My 2 Beretta's run flawlessly and I have 22 lr and a 40 S&W top end for them and have zero issues with any of the 3 calibers. Now my questions are you shooting factory ammo? Using factory magazines???
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old May 18, 2018, 07:57 AM   #31
pete2

Clean and lube it, use factory ammo, it should work. If it doesn't call Beretta. My 92FS is 18 years old and is yet to have a failure to feed or eject. I have bumped the safety on by accident a couple times but Wilson cured that, it's now a decocker only.
Old May 18, 2018, 08:22 AM   #32
highpower3006

Quote:
Clean and lube it, use factory ammo, it should work. If it doesn't call Beretta. My 92FS is 18 years old and is yet to have a failure to feed or eject.
This has been my experience with the Beretta 92FS. I will say that all of three that I have had or currently own were made in Italy, so I don't know if that makes a difference. After foolishly trading off my old 92F (yes it was an 'F' not a 'FS') a few years ago, I picked up another a few months back. So far it has been flawless.
Old May 20, 2018, 09:52 AM   #33
Wag

"Lightly used." Translates to nearly new. If it was never cleaned from the factory, then a good field strip and clean may fix it right up.

The only time mine ever had any issues at all was when it didn't like the ammo I was using. They were light teaching handloads that worked just fine in a P89 Ruger, but the Beretta didn't like them. I switched to a factory load and it's never had a problem since. That is to say, that in SOME cases, it may be picky about ammo.

--Wag--
Old May 27, 2018, 04:07 AM   #34
Sturmpanzer

This will sound weird, but take apart the mags that give you problems, and make sure that the mag spring is assembled in the correct orientation...a backwards mag spring makes for all sorts of goofy things...it is a used gun and the previous owner may have boogered up one of the mags.... As for stovepiping...its almost impossible with the 92...hence the exposed slide...not saying it didnt happen to you, but my guess is a bad mag... My Wilson Combat 92fs runs flawlessly...it started out as a stock 92 and I sent it to Wilson for some goodies.....check that mag spring...