The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 29, 2006, 02:34 PM   #1
mustang_52

setting the sizing die

hey, i got a question. Im trying to set up my sizing die for 223 on a dillon 550b but i cant seem to understand whats going on. I set the die so that it just touches the shellplate. i bought a headspace guage to measure some once fired brass that was shot out of my rifle. So im assuming i should be setting the sizing die so that after resizing it should be .001" shorter. But it seems how ever much i play with the die it doesnt change and it seems to get larger instead. any idea how to go about this?
Old September 29, 2006, 03:02 PM   #2
TimRB

Get yourself a drop-in cartridge headspace gauge and set your sizing die so that a sized case is between the little steps on the gauge.

Tim
Old September 29, 2006, 05:06 PM   #3
Ausserordeutlich

Ditto, what Tim said. I use a Wilson case gage for setting up my .223 sizing die. You'll probably have to screw that die down a little farther than "just touching" the shellplate, in order to properly bump the shoulder.
Old September 29, 2006, 07:28 PM   #4
Rimrod

Do you mean the overall length is longer?

A sizing die sizes squeezes the case back to proper dimensions other than length. For that you use a trimmer after the case is sized.
Old September 29, 2006, 07:58 PM   #5
mustang_52

i took a measurement using a stoney point headspace gauge, the one that you use in conjunction with the comparator, before i sized it and got a reading. I then sized it and measured again and the reading either stayed the same or got longer.
Old September 29, 2006, 08:17 PM   #6
Ken O

On my Rockchucker if I touch the die I get no shoulder set back, you need to turn it about a quarter turn more to get the .003 setback. Apparently the shellholder gives enough to get it. I use the same StoneyPoint headspace gauge.
When I started reloading I had the same question and called RCBS, and that is what they told me. The shoulder bump comes from the overcam on the press.
Maybe the Dillon is different, give them a call to know for sure.
Old September 30, 2006, 07:59 AM   #7
mustang_52

ok, more cam over on the way