The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 12, 2004, 09:50 PM   #1
FirstFreedom

What's a good scent-cover for whitetail hunting in Eastern OK?

I've been using H.S. Scent's "Fresh Earth". It smells like dirt to me, but how do I know it smells like dirt to a deer? - for all I know they smell it 1/4 mile out as out of place. Acorn scent? Fox or racoon urine maybe - what do you find works in your area? And which area is it? Thanks.
Old October 12, 2004, 10:01 PM   #2
beardking

I've heard the best thing to use is the perfume that all the strippers seem to use.

Of course I'm telling you that so you won't have any luck in Eastern OK and you'll leave them all for me.

(sorry, had to do it)
Old October 12, 2004, 10:07 PM   #3
User Name

You forgot the part about walking to the stand with a few spoons tied to each boot...

I use the same stuff FirstFreedom, and I even found some bug spray (a must in the south) with the same scent at Wallyworld. But I also use scent blocking under garments, and don't wash my hunting gear with any "scented" cleaners. Thats about as far as I go. Some of my buddies wash their clothes with a detergent that has the same "earthy" type scent as the cover we use, and use fox or doe piss but I've usualy got a lil estrus (the natural kind collected from live deer) in a wick dispenser that I hope they smell first....
"Whenever Governments mean to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise an army upon their ruins. This was actually done by Great Britain at the commencement of the late revolution."
Rep. Elbridge Gerry of Massachusetts - 1789

GUN CONTROL....IT'S NOT A NEW IDEA......JUST A BAD ONE!
Old October 12, 2004, 11:37 PM   #4
FirstFreedom

Thanks

Ya I've got the scent-free clothes-washing detergent (and the scent-free body soap and deoderant), but I guess I need some of those scent-blocker undies too, perhaps. Hmm, I'll use the Fresh Earth couple more times before giving up on it. Could be just the spots I've picked, not my scent that is the problem - dunno.
Old October 18, 2004, 11:45 AM   #5
FirstFreedom

Damn you beardking, why can't you Texicans stay in your own state, being several times larger than ours, and leave our deer for us!
Old October 18, 2004, 12:08 PM   #6
beardking

Have you ever seen how much it costs to hunt down here? It would be another house payment just for me to get into a lease to hunt down here. Don't worry, I'm being penalized about 300 bucks (no pun intended) for coming up there to get my groove on.