The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old March 25, 2019, 06:40 PM   #1
dendang

Winchester 1894's - got sum questions

Hi Guys and Gals. I know I don't post often, but I research and read a lot on here. In fact, I rely on the firing line for much of my firearm related knowledge. That being said, I have some questions regarding two Winchester 1894 rifles. These belong to a dear friend and he's contemplating what to do with them.

Here's what we know:
The first one is a 5-digit (15,xxx) serial number (manuf. likely 1896) and has a full-length magazine tube and a curved stock back plate. This example is blued and is in "good" shape.

The second is slightly newer (manuf. 1904) and in "fair" shape with more patina and some surface rusting. It features a shorter magazine and has a half octagonal, half round barrel.

I'm trying to help him figure out if he should keep these, or sell these. They both belonged to his father and were shot some.

• How much are they likely worth?
• How should he care for them, should he decide to keep them?
• If he decides to sell, what's the best venue for something like this?

Thanks so much in advance. I appreciate any response.
Old March 25, 2019, 06:47 PM   #2
2wheelwander

In. I'm interested as well.
Old March 25, 2019, 06:50 PM   #3
jmr40

Those are out of my league. There are some knowledgeable people here, but I'd ask for advice from these guys on those rifles. I'm betting you'll get more responses from people who know more about this specific question.

http://leverguns.com/

Winston Churchill
Old March 25, 2019, 08:10 PM   #4
bedbugbilly

I am no expert on Winchesteres but will throw this out there as to my experience a couple of years ago. A LGS - a reputable one who has been in the same family for at least close to 70 years - had a 1894 30-30 - day of manufacture of 1905 in their consignment rack two years ago. I took a look at it - I would rate it as being "good" condition as it had honest finish wear but not abused and the bore was in good shape. It was consigned for $999.99 if I remember correctly. I don't remember now what the serial # was but at the time, I did look it up and it was 1895 yer of birth. I was seriously considering buying it and the seller evidently wanted to get it sold so he lowered the price to $900.00. I waited a day too long and it went out the door at that price. Keep in mind, I'm no expert - to me it looked like a decent 94 carbine - but someone with expertise who might spot title things on one that might make it a more rare version is who I would trust to give a fair value estimate. Sine that one, I haven't had the opportunity to run across another early one to know if it was priced correctly or not. There must be a Winchester forum that maybe you could post some photos on and get some opinions from knowledgeable members. Good luck and I hope you and your friend are able to do some "homework{ so that he isn't taken advantage of if he goes to sell them.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old March 25, 2019, 08:49 PM   #5
ligonierbill

I checked Gunbroker complete auctions, and actual sale prices varied from about $400 to one that went for $1,790 (a real beauty, but someone got carried away). I think you should find someone who really knows these guns and have them take a close look. Posting pictures on this forum will help get you a response, maybe from a true expert. What caliber are these guns? A less common round may add value.

As far as care, no refinishing of any type. Just a good cleaning and oil sparingly. Be sure to clean the bore and check its condition.

Lots of sales venues. If there is a good gun shop nearby, consignment is an option. But by "good", I mean a shop that really knows their stuff and handles classic arms. I have bought and sold a number of guns on Gunbroker. You will get a wide variety of opinions on that website, but I have had pretty good luck. There are others, like Armslist. Lots of exposure, which can be a blessing and a curse.
Old March 27, 2019, 07:29 AM   #6
highpower3006

Winchesters, like Colts attract a different breed of collectors. Things like special features, year of manufacture and cosmetic condition can make a big difference in the value of a particular gun. I would suggest your friend take a bunch of good, clear pictures, both overall and closeup of the rifles and then show them around on different forums and see if he can get a general idea of what they might be worth.
Old March 27, 2019, 12:50 PM   #7
T. O'Heir

"...both belonged to his father..." That'd be my answer. No selling stuff like that.
However, chambering matters as much as condition. Got any pictures? What you and your buddy think is 'fair' and/or 'good' condition may not be.
Mind you, talking to guys who live and breath elderly Winchesters is a good idea.