The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 10, 2016, 01:26 AM   #1
KingsPens

FMJ jackets only

This may not be the best place for this question but does anyone know if .308 and .50 cal FMJ jackets can be purchased without the lead in them already? I will not be using these for reloading I stopped reloading and sold my reloading equipment a few years ago after an overloaded round told me I wasnt paying close enough attention to the details. It could have been really bad noone was hurt but it cured me of my ignorance of how bad things can get 8f you get careless.

I know i can purchase the bullets from multiple reloading supplies companies online and even from Cabellas but i prefer to avoid the lead melting process and finding proper disposal site for the lead.
Old April 10, 2016, 07:16 AM   #2
PA-Joe

Most metal recyclers will take the lead free.

Most bullet makers are now making bullets under 45cal in a non-lead material. They don't call them jacketed because they are a solid metal.

Hornady calls them GMX or Monoflexthey make them in 224 to 45.

Was your last issue with reloading the bullet that you made or a double charge?

Why are you concerned about lead in a jacketed bullet? That is not a reloading issue. Most bullet makers now offer 100% encapulated bullets either jacketed or plated.
Old April 10, 2016, 07:16 AM   #3
nemesiss45

the jacket is formed on the lead core during production, so there is no copper jacket without the core.

what is the purpose? maybe there is an alternative.