The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 29, 2001, 08:25 AM   #1
ruger357

S&W model 28

I am picking up a model 28 with a 4 inch barrel Saturday. The gun is 99% overall and has not been shot much.It also has the original two piece cardboard box with all the original paper work. I paid $349 for it.I called S&W with the serial # and they said it was manufactured in 1979. Anyone else out there with this model ? If so how do you like it.
Old October 29, 2001, 08:41 AM   #2
BigG

You have an N-frame Smith. I have had the Mod 29 44 Mag and Mod 57 41 Mag - the brothers of the Mod 28. It don't get any better!
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old October 29, 2001, 08:51 AM   #3
Raider

The S&W Mod 28 is a fine gun. I have one thats not for sale or trade. It stands up to full power 357 loads a lot better than the Mod 19 K frame. Think they called it the Highway Patrol Model, a Model 27 with a more utilitarian finish.

Raider
Old October 29, 2001, 09:08 AM   #4
VictorLouis

You done good

I have one myself. I don't think you will ever wear one out just by shooting it. Enjoy.
Old October 29, 2001, 12:01 PM   #5
KSFreeman

All guns break (even S&Ws) if you shoot them.

I have a brace of M28s. Both are surplus Terre Haute Police Department weapons.

I put the real thin Pach grooved grips on them and use them as "girlfriend guns." Oddly, if you put a .38 158 gr. RNL in an N frame, there is little recoil. They seem to like this despite the weight.
Old October 29, 2001, 12:38 PM   #6
Marko Kloos

I have a 28, the "Highway Patrolman" utility version of the 27. Matte finish, a little less fancy, but a beautiful piece of hardware nonetheless. They can stand up to the hottest .357 loads without problems, and they're a joy to shoot due to their size and weight.

the munchkin wrangler.
Old October 29, 2001, 01:04 PM   #7
Mike Irwin
Staff

I have two, a 4" and a 6".

The 6" was virtually new when I bought it, but had been shot a litte. I paid $300 for it.

The 4", though, was new. It had been made around 1980, bought by a guy, stuck in a drawer and never fired. It didn't even have a drag line around the cylinder.

Unfortunatly the guy threw the box out just before he went to the gunshow where he sold it to me.

Best thing, though? I only paid $250 for it.

It's now been fired quite a bit, and wears a pair of Ivory grips. It looks sweet.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 29, 2001, 01:21 PM   #8
uglygun

I'm fuming because I passed up a Model 28-2 6 inch barreled gun about 2-3 weeks back. I'm in Ca. so these guns can't be bought cheap out of state and transferred to a dealer in the state, if you want one you basically have to luck out and find one for private transfer within the state. This gun at the local shop went for 430 dollars in about 99% condition but without any documentation or a box, was just a little too much for me to want to pay. Now if it had been a 27 in similar condition at that price I wouldn't have hesitated in the slightest, but at 430 for the matte bluing even though I know it's a good gun I just couldn't see paying the price and I had to take a few weeks to make up my mind. But ofcourse the day I go into the shop to put down money on it somebody had beaten me to it 3 days earlier. DOHITH!

Anyhow, definitely good guns those highway patrolmans. I was looking to get the 28-2 that was in the shop to replace an aging 38/44 outdoorsman that I own and am retiring to occasional use status.
Old October 29, 2001, 03:57 PM   #9
S&W44

Nice revolver.
I've got 2 357's on layaway right now,a S&W (pre 27),and a Colt 357(pre Python).
I've got to stop going to that gun shop.
Old October 29, 2001, 06:44 PM   #10
Dave T

This is not a put down of the M28 or anyone who likes them, just some information.

My first duty weapon (1973) was a M28. The Sheriff's Department allowed carrying "Magnum" ammunition so that's what I carried and practiced with. Prior to getting into LE my handgunning experience was almost all with SA revolvers. In my first year on the department I shot that 28 a lot trying to master DA revolver shooting (158g RN hard cast bullet over 8g Unique or Sierra 150g JHP over 14.5g 2400). Before I got off probation that M28 was badly out of time and shaving lead with every shot (even spitting jacket material).

S&W factory trained armorer told me it was because my practice was all rapid fire double action. Shooting like that the heavy cylinder really beat the hand and bolt hard and eventually ruined the gun's timing. It was fixable but by then I had switched to the Government Model and sold it.

YMMV but they can be worn out. All it takes is about 200-250 rounds a week, rapid fire for a year.
Old October 29, 2001, 08:08 PM   #11
C.R.Sam

Good point Dave. The more massive the cylinder, the more likely to go out of time from very rapid fire. NRA bullseye rate of rapid fire probably no effect but when you get into the real fast stuff the star, hand and hand pivot take a tremendous beating accelerating the cylinder; and the cylinder stop/stop cut in frame take a beating stopping the cylinder.

Even worse with stainless frame guns and yet moreso with stainless guns that have stainless lockwork.

N frames are super guns, just not for "fast n fancy" work unless you have deep pockets or a sponsor.

Sam
Old October 29, 2001, 08:59 PM   #12
BMWGS80

WOOOO! HOOOO!

Two of my most favorite pistols.

Md. 27 five inch and 3 1/2 inch.

Big "flywheel" cylinders.

Boy am I lucky that I have an excellent gunsmith for a friend!

ROLLLING THUNDER ON THE RANGE!

Now if I could just find another 3 1/2 do use for double gun tricks.

Have a blast, it does not get much better.

Cheers,

ts
Old October 30, 2001, 12:46 AM   #13
Ala Dan
Member in memoriam

Greeting's All,

As most of the TFL family know, I've owned several
Smith & Wesson model 28's over the year's; at least one 4" and 3 or 4 of the 6" model. I recall
putting a set of smooth Rosewood grip's on the 4";
back when Gil Hebard Guns of Knoxville, IL was selling them. Boy, it sure made the bluing on the
old S&W stand out; oh! how I long for the past.
As other's have said, the 28 based on the N frame
is family to the original model's 29 (.44 Magnum),
and 57 (.41 Magnum). Also, the model 28 is the less expensive brother to the model 27 Smith & Wesson; and the model 58 is a distant fixed sighted cousin (M&P model) to the model 57 .41
Magnum. They don't get any better than the Smith
N frame's- Go Enjoy Yours!!!

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.
Old October 30, 2001, 06:48 AM   #14
ruger357

Hey guys just wondering. Is the 28 more sturdy than the K and L frames?
Old October 30, 2001, 10:05 AM   #15
VictorLouis

The gentleman that convinced me to get an N-frame has a tremendous amount of experience with it in .357. Every year, for his birthday, he burns through 1K of the original .357 loads in an afternoon. This is not accounting for the other thousands of rounds of all levels he shoots during the year. He truly feels that the 27/28 is a gun you can't wear out. Since he's never mentioned what Dave described, with regard to the N-frame, that one particular gun(or its hand) was likely an exception.

I don't think anyone would assert that the L-frame would be superior to the N-frame in durability, or longevity. It was created to satisfy the (percieved) need to have something more durable than the K-frame for use with true magnum loads. Yet, OTOH, it's arguably lighter and more compact than an N-frame.
Old October 30, 2001, 11:51 AM   #16
ruger357

Thanks for the info VictorLouis.
Old October 30, 2001, 07:38 PM   #17
Dave T

VictorLouis,

Welcome to Arizona. How long you been here?

If your friend shoots single action or even deliberate double action, I would expect his M28 to last a lifetime. What I did was rapid fire double action shooting, exclusively. I was trying to learn to defend myself in a close range, life threatening situation. That is quite a bit different than recreational shooting, hunting or plinking.

The armorer I talked to about the M28's problem told me that the M28 & M27 were the worst of the N-Frames for this because of the relatively small chambers compaired to the diameter of the cylinder. M27 and M28 cylinders are much heavier than those of 57s or 29s.

Interestingly this has nothing to do with the power of the ammunition being shot. There was a famous PPC shooter from Texas who started that version of Police target shooting with a M28. He switched to the K-Frame, like every other PPC shooter, because in a matter of months the M28 was out of time. Now understand, these guys shoot thousands of rounds of wadcutters and dryfire constantly. That heavy cylinder that does so well at absorbing recoil of magnum ammunition will beat the lockwork to death in short order.

As I said before, I'm not nocking M28s or anyone who likes them. Just passing on information.
Old October 30, 2001, 07:52 PM   #18
uglygun

Dave T, thanks for posting that information as well!

It explains why I'm retiring my 38/44 Outdoorsman to occasional use status. It's had a long hard life and the stop notches show evidence of it, quite a few years of double action use by the looks of it of which a lot was probably due in part to my own use of the gun. Still going to use it but mostly in occasional use outings every so often where I don't have to worry so much about perfect timing when I'm shooting single action and can take the time touse my finger to line up the chamber or two that doesn't want to lock up perfectly due to wear on those key parts you've mentioned.

But oh man, it's the gun that started my love of the N-frames and I can't wait to find a 27 that most closely matches my 38/44 so I can snag it up.
Old October 30, 2001, 08:06 PM   #19
VictorLouis

No offense taken, Dave. He is a retired state trooper, with years of police competitive experience. Pleanty of DA shooting, I can assure you. As a matter of fact, his agency was issued K-frames in the years after their introduction. As soon as some hard use caused a failure, he would turn it back in and be permitted to carry his old N-frame once again until a replacement could be ordered(or repair completed). He spoke with Bill Jordan himself several times at meets, and Bill related that the K was meant to ease the duty-belt weight burden of the Border Patrolman. Carried a lot, and shot little, as they say.
Old October 30, 2001, 08:47 PM   #20
Marko Kloos

A local place has two Models 28-2 with 3.5" barrels for sale...a factory nickel job and a beautiful blue gun. Both have pinned barrels and look like they're in excellent shape...they time and lock up well, and have no external dings. They want $399 for either.

Too bad I just dropped a bunch of money on a SIG P226 a few days ago...I am thinking about going back there tomorrow and putting the blued one on layaway.

the munchkin wrangler.
Old October 30, 2001, 08:54 PM   #21
VictorLouis

ringer, those must be Model 27s. I don't think the 28 has been built in anything other than 4" and 6" bbl. lengths.
Old October 30, 2001, 09:06 PM   #22
Marko Kloos

Yes, they are M27s. My mistake...

the munchkin wrangler.
Old October 30, 2001, 09:12 PM   #23
Dave T

Lendringser,

I would bet they are M27s too. I never heard of a nickled M28. If they have checkering on the topstrap and barrel, they are 27s. The 3.5" M27 was a favorite with some old time FBI agents. This was way before the days of political correctness when the FBI actually arrested criminals. G. Gordon Liddey has often spoken of his, oops, his wife's 3.5" M27 that he carried when with the FBI.
Old October 30, 2001, 09:28 PM   #24
Ronin 99

I think I still have an M27-2. Bought it in August, original box, warrantee card, etc. Built in 1971, a beaut if there ever was one. Unfortunately the gunshop where it was stored had it's FFL suspended for lack of security and all firearms were confiscated including almost $3000 worth of mine. I'll get them back eventually, but I wonder what kind of condition they're going to be in when I do. Hard to believe.
Old October 30, 2001, 09:43 PM   #25
7th Fleet

I have a Model 28 6" that belonged to my Dad, he bought it back in the early 60s and it's still like new. I used to have a 4' Model 27 blue steel but I traded it off even, for a Ruger Redhawk .357 back in the early 80s. The Redhawk has got to be the strongest .357 magnum revolver on this planet and I guess next would be the Model 37/28.

7th