The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 15, 2002, 06:47 AM   #1
Jager1

A-MERC brass - use it or lose it?

A friend just gave me a mixed lot of once fired 45 ACP brass containing a few hundred A-MERC casings.

I have heard folks saying they simply toss this stuff away.

I have a lot of mixed brass that I re-use over and over for light plinking loads. I have noticed in the past that there were a few dozen of these A-MERC cases in there with the others.

As a result, I have (unwittingly) reloaded these cases several times. Oddly, I have not experienced any problems.

I will admit, because of some of the comments I have heard, I have been tossing stragglers as I notice them, just in case. (pun intended).

Anyone have any specific horror stories they can relate or reasons I should toss this stuff outright?
Old February 15, 2002, 07:42 AM   #2
bedlamite

It's thin, soft, and has loose primer pockets. trash it.
Old February 15, 2002, 07:45 AM   #3
coonan357

ditto,ditto,ditto, offset primerholes, uneven size primerholes,ditto trash it!!!:barf:

You can't argue with a .357 Mag.
Well, you can try, but you'll end up bleeding an aweful lot. -GEORGE HILL 4-08-2002

My Coonan is Not For Sale please do not ask!
Old February 15, 2002, 09:49 AM   #4
sricciardelli

Trash it...
Old February 15, 2002, 10:02 AM   #5
dick w. holliday

thin--Hell!!!!--the damn stuff is so thick that most lead bullets when seated will not chamber---another vote for chunking the mess..................Dick
Old February 15, 2002, 10:06 AM   #6
Steve Smith

Agree with Dick...that stuff is WAY thick! You won't be able to chamber a single round using that crap. Don't jsut toss it, THROW it at that "friend."

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old February 15, 2002, 10:30 AM   #7
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

I've read a lot of varying opinions about it - - -

- - -But they were all of a mind on one point:

A-MERC brass is NOT WORTH THE TROUBLE!

Sorry - - -

Best,
Johnny
Old February 15, 2002, 10:41 AM   #8
KP95DAO

Everything said here has been true. However, A-MERC brass is very good for turning into bullets for my 45-70. Always a silver lining.
Old February 15, 2002, 11:51 AM   #9
AndABeer

It is a sin that they use the name American on that crap.

"You are entitled to your own opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts." Unknown
Old February 15, 2002, 12:51 PM   #10
dick w. holliday

if there is a way to make jacketed bullets for my 45-70 using 45 cases i'd like to know about it.......Tell me more.........Dick
Old February 15, 2002, 12:55 PM   #11
Waitone

For the last 4 months the only FTF I experienced with my .45 ACP is A-MERC brass. I'm still picking it our of my collection.
Old February 15, 2002, 02:49 PM   #12
renaissance7697

Do I sense a "concensus" here ? ?

Why don't you guys just say what you mean out plain ?

Seriously, now:
Consistently have problems with it.
My experience is, I can't seat new primers.

Clean it before you toss it !
Old February 15, 2002, 07:11 PM   #13
Chemistry

But there is a way!

Yes, A-MERC brass is terrible. It's much harder than other brands, and thicker as well.

You can still make usable cartridges from A-MERC brass if you do the following:

Use a generous belling. The narrow mouth of the A-MERC brass will make this necessary for you to have any hope of seating a bullet.

Then, after you crimp the round, run it through a Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die. Something happens during the seating process that creates a bulge in the middle of the case. The Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die will eliminate the bulge.

I still prefer to toss it out, though. Many a time, I have seen a piece of A-MERC brass that has an off-center flash hole. I haven't bent a decapping pin yet, and don't intend to on a piece of A-MERC brass.
Old February 15, 2002, 07:33 PM   #14
jjmorgan64

Why clean it first??

I just toss the stuff as far as i can

JM
Old February 15, 2002, 09:20 PM   #15
Derm95

You can use it for bullet setups on seating depth that you might then throw out.
Old February 16, 2002, 03:20 AM   #16
Jager1

Folks,

Have to admit, the responses are exactly what I had hoped for.

Some of the suggested uses were demonstrative of the level of insight and experience here.

In any case, I will be throwing a few hundred rounds of A-MERC brass (highly polished - too late) into the trash tomorrow. Not even going to waste my time trying to trifle with something that positively sounds like more trouble than it is worth.

Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die. In the quest for better quality ammunition, you guys continue to mention this little devil.

Crimping is the only process in reloading for pistol that always makes me feel uneasy. It just seems like "government" or "German" torque and such an imprecise science. (I'm half German and have plenty of experience).

I "think" I'm doing it right, and with about 15,000 45 ACP rounds downrange, I'd hope I'm at least close.

I'm currently using the Dillon four die set on a 550 Dillon. You guys keep recommending this Lee crimping die as a REPLACEMENT for the Dillon crimping die? Will it work on a 550 tool head? One of the posters said it's a no-go except on the 650 Dillon.

I've seen the other threads, but should I really swap it out (if it is possible)? Kind of like putting Ford parts on a Chevy or vice versa.

Real benefits over the Dillon crimping die? Is this in all pistol calibers, or specifically 45 ACP? I'd be interested in .38/.357, 9mm and 45 ACP and perhaps .40 and 10mm (eventually).

Thanks!
Old February 16, 2002, 07:51 AM   #17
Derm95

One benefit of the FCD is that seating with one die and crimping with another die can be more precise. But you need two toolhead stations in the press.
Also sometimes even without Amerc brass, the case has a slight bulge. Post sizing the straight walls after seating and crimping makes the bullet more perfect.
Especially for competition instead of just plinking or just trying to make noise with a gun, it helps consistency.
After running through a progressive press, then I run them one at a time through a single stage press.
Old February 16, 2002, 08:27 AM   #18
dick w. holliday

a buddy was bitching about amerc the other day and he said he just ran it through the sizer again with the bullet seated.....i'd tried this years ago with other brass and bullets but just to make him feel better i said we'd try it again......sure enough the result was the same as i remembered years ago......after running it through the sizer you could slide the lead bullet right out of the case.........damn--i think i'll just do this to all my bullets that need pulling and do away with my inertia bullet puller--ha ha.....Dick
Old February 16, 2002, 09:05 AM   #19
Double Naught Spy

Some of the guys I shoot with reload. Often when they have a case failure that I see at the range, it is an A-MERC case. Apparently, a lot of them never make it to the range, splitting during reloading.

So other than being too thin, too thick, soft metal, loose primer pockets, and cases failing, you should not have any problems.
Old February 18, 2002, 04:49 AM   #20
jtduncan

TRASH IT
Old February 18, 2002, 04:15 PM   #21
9x45

At least one unlucky Glock shooter will probably not use A-Merc again..
http://www.frontsight.com/safety.htm
Old February 20, 2002, 12:33 AM   #22
LONGRIFLE30

A-Merc brass

Well, it is thick and kinda soft, but I have some I have loaded 6-7 times, and hasn't failed me so far...yet the ammo loaded from them is "OK"
Old February 20, 2002, 06:12 PM   #23
RJ McCormack

Off topic but...

KP95DAO, if you've got a neat trick for turning 45 ACP brass into 45-70 bullet jackets then give up the gouge!!
Old February 20, 2002, 07:02 PM   #24
LONGRIFLE30

No kidding, do you have a Corbin bullet swadger, or do you know some trick to do it without such expensive equipment?
Old February 21, 2002, 08:38 AM   #25
dick w. holliday

i got an email from him and he says he's going to post it sometime soon.....waiting with baited breath.....Dick

or maybe it is breath that smells like bait........