The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old February 12, 2002, 04:49 PM   #1
Lonnie Jaycox
Senior Member
Join Date: June 25, 2000
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 182
Class III Gift?

A friend of mine owns a successful restaurant and has gotten himself wealthy. His father helped him get the place started. His dad is a Korean War vetran and a gun collector (US military weapons). He told me that the one gun his father doesn't have but wants is a Thompson Subgun. He wants to buy one for his father--he wants to do so legally. I told him to check with his dad and see if he already has the proper licenses without spoiling a potential surprise gift. He is not a gun person and asked me where to find these and how much they cost. I told him I would inquire here, but that I would not get involved in anything illegal. How would one do this within the law, and where does one find vintage Thompsons for sale?
Lonnie Jaycox is offline  
Old February 12, 2002, 05:44 PM   #2
Senior Member
Join Date: November 24, 2001
Location: Out West
Posts: 431
Although the gun can be given to the father as a gift, the father still has to go through the entire procedure of owning a registered machine-gun. Paperwork, cleo sign off and payment of tax.

This is an overly simplified explanation and would suggest that your friend go to his nearest class III FFL. They will be able to explain the procedure in detail and cover any possible snafu's that are unique to your state.

It can be done. It's just not going to be a surprise.

Also, there is no license required to own a machine-gun. It's a tax stamp.

It cost about $8000 to play and added accessories, like drums cost about $800 each. There is one for sale at right now.
ViLLain is offline  
Old February 12, 2002, 08:23 PM   #3
Senior Member
Join Date: August 2, 2001
Posts: 4,988
Its my understanding that (state laws permitting) a person can buy the weapon for their father and present them with the receipt and another $200 in cash for the tax stamp. The father can then go down to the FFL's store and LOOK at the weapon from a distance when they pick up the forms to fill out then come back at intervals and look again until the paperwork clears, another 3 months or so, then take it home when the stamped form comes back.

Sort of like kissing through a screen door.
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
MeekAndMild is offline  
Old February 14, 2002, 03:36 PM   #4
Junior member
Join Date: December 26, 2001
Posts: 673
If your state does not allow ClassIII firearms, you can get a semi-auto carbine version of the Thompsen SMG.
Salt is offline  

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site and contents, including all posts, Copyright © 1998-2017 S.W.A.T. Magazine
Copyright Complaints: Please direct DMCA Takedown Notices to the registered agent:
Contact Us
Page generated in 0.06937 seconds with 9 queries