The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 31, 2001, 06:16 PM   #1
gryphon

Help with shotgun terms and such...

I don't really know a lot about shotguns, but I want to learn as much as I can about as many firearms as possible. Where would be a good place either internet or books that I can learn from. Specifically, the different types of shotguns, different loads, what's good for game, trap, skeet, and or home defense.

Thanks!
Old December 31, 2001, 06:51 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

A shotgunnner's most useful tool is a well worn library card. Under Dewey Decimal sytem #799 are the books on shotguns and their uses, along with other gun and fishing books.

Some good ones include:

Shotgunning, the Art and the Science, by Bob Brister.

Bruce Bowlen's guide to upland hunting.

Gene Hill's Shotgunner's Notebook.

Darn near anything by Steve Smith.

Same with Mike McIntosh, but the man never met a shotgun with a 5 figure price tag he didn't like.
All in all tho, a good read with plenty of info.

Same for Don Zutz. A bit more nuts and bolts oriented.

Keith on Shotguns. While a bit dated, and full of opinions(as Keith was), it had some tidbits on usage not found elsewhere.

The best resource can be found on ranges. Old shotgunners tend to be a great bunch, and very helpful.

Good periodicals include Shooting Sportsman, Shotgun Sports, and for the "Serious" side of shotgunning, SWAT mag, associated with this website.

Ayoob, Farnham, Suarez,etc, are good sources for "Serious' shotgunning. Chuck Taylor has a good one on shotguns and sub machine guns, but it's hard to find.

Finally, there's two Archives that have scads of good stuff.That's here and over on shotgunreport.com. Read them both for breadth and depth...

HTH...
Old January 1, 2002, 11:04 AM   #3
PJR

Well heck Dave, I've never met a shotgun with a five figure price tag that I haven't liked either. Fortunately, my bank manager won't lend me the money.

There are two books for beginner gunners that I recommend: The Clay Target Handbook by Jerry Meyer (ISBN 1-55821-176-4). It's a good overview of all the clay target games with recommendations on guns for the games. The second is The Shotgun Book by Jack O'Connor. Even though O'Connor is considered a rifleman first, his book on scatterguns covers a lot of good ground. I found mine in a used book store and even though it's almost 50 years old the basic information is still solid. It might be found in a well stocked library.

I'd support all of Dave's suggestions particularly Brister. And if you want to see just how exotic the shotgun hobby can be pick up a copy of the Double Gun Journal and pour over beautiful photos of the highest end guns. As a good friend once told me, a love of fine shotguns is the Lord's way of telling you that you don't make enough money.

Paul
Old January 1, 2002, 02:44 PM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Good point,Paul, but I'd sure like to see ol' Mike blasting birds with an 870 just once(G)...

Meyer's book is a good guide to the clay games, as it is intended to.

Shooting Sportman is another mag for those of us with lots of discretionary income. However, I see the occasional pump or auto in there, and not jsut in the waterfowling articles.
Old January 1, 2002, 09:02 PM   #5
Brooks

Shotgun Ed.

You can also go to --www.shotgunsports.com

That website has some good tips for shotgunners too.
Old January 2, 2002, 10:08 AM   #6
LIProgun

Just My $0.02

As far as defensive shotgun books, I like the offerings from Mattera, Farnam, Awerback.

- Leonidas of Sparta, 480 B.C.