The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old December 15, 2001, 06:01 PM   #1
John Sheridan
Junior Member
Join Date: December 13, 2001
Posts: 3
Building Submachine guns from kits.

I would like to build a Swedish K, South African Kommando, or a Czech Model 24 From a parts kit. I know were to get the receiver tubes. Which one would be the best one to buld? I amy getting a class 2 firearms license and a form 4 to register thr receiver tube. I will put the guns serial number on the receiver tube Will this be legal?
John Sheridan is offline  
Old December 15, 2001, 09:40 PM   #2
Join Date: January 8, 2001
Location: ATL, GA
Posts: 87
Most likely not....

If you are in the US, you have to be a Class 2 manufacturer to do so. You cannot just get a form 4 and "temperory" C-2 license to build a MG.

Or, you can do so and the BATF will give you a nice, private cage to live in for the next 10-15 years for free

Even after all the paper work, you still do not own that MG. Any MG made after May 1986 can never be indivdually own. Those C-3 dealers have two choices whenever they decide to quit the busniess: destory it or transfer it to other current C-3 dealer.

Call or go to BATF website for up-to-date info.
Spatula is offline  
Old December 15, 2001, 11:22 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Join Date: November 2, 1998
Location: Colorado
Posts: 19,343
The only way you can legally make one is to get licensed and make it for a law enforcement agency or for the military.
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt. Molon Labe!
4V50 Gary is offline  
Old December 16, 2001, 07:03 AM   #4
Jake 98c/11b
Senior Member
Join Date: November 25, 1999
Posts: 471
I don't think that's quite right guys. If an individual gets a manufacturing license he could make whatever he wants. It would be a post 86 sample and could only be owned by a dealer but an individual who had both the manufacturing license and the dealers license should be able to keep the weapons as long as he maintained the dealers license. Wouldn't need the manufacturers license or any law enforcement or military letters. Wouldn't really be worth the hassle for a tube gun I wouldn't think. Wouldn't be a form four though, I think that is for transferable guns.
Jake 98c/11b is offline  
Old December 16, 2001, 12:05 PM   #5
Senior Member
Join Date: August 2, 2001
Posts: 4,988
Just curious, why would somebody want the legal red tape, the cost and the liability of becoming a class 2 manufacturer for one rifle? I could see the point if they were going to make 10,000 weapons on an already signed Army contract with the down payment paid up front, but for one single gun?
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
MeekAndMild is offline  
Old December 16, 2001, 03:53 PM   #6
Join Date: November 6, 1999
Location: Miami, FL USA
Posts: 73
To the original question - IMO of the 3 SMGs you name, the Swedish K has the best reputation and, in it's original configuration, would be the most desireable. I can't comment on the where or how of the legally approved location for the weapon's serial number.

There's really not much more paperwork for a Class 2 manufacturer than there is for a regular FFL or manufacturer - they simply have to mail or FAX in the new weapon's Form 2 registration within 24 hours of completion and maintain the appropriate paperwork for his ownership. He must also be a Title 01 FFL holder - a standard FFL. Other hoops to be jumped through involve the EPA, SSA, local zoning, etc.

A Class 2 SOT can make SMGs, suppressors, AOWs, etc. without paying a making fee. He can make as many as he wants for his R&D work. A Class 2 can also deal in NFA firearms. A Class 2 can own post samples, and import one sample NFA weapon for R&D use, with the appropriate police letter. He can transfer NFA weapons with other SOTs without paying a tax. I'm pretty sure that destructive devices (DDs) are not exempt, though.

The advantages are in the eye of the beholder, but if you want to make a MG-42 or MP-5 for your own use, it's certainly cheaper than buying a transferrable model. As with any SOT, you must prove a certain amount of legitimate business though - getting a SOT just to enhance your personal collection is frowned upon by the ATF and they'll take action.
chetchat is offline  

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site and contents, including all posts, Copyright © 1998-2017 S.W.A.T. Magazine
Copyright Complaints: Please direct DMCA Takedown Notices to the registered agent:
Contact Us
Page generated in 0.06489 seconds with 9 queries