The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old December 9, 2001, 11:06 PM   #1
Kryptonite

Winchester Model 94 pre-64 32WS

I was told Harley is the man to ask for info on these two rifles:

What information/advice can you provide on valuation and care of 2 Winchester Model 94 32WS pre-64 rifles that my uncle owns? 32 Specials. One was manufactured around 1943 and the other 1949, according to this site: http://www.ibnd.com/winchester/serial94.html

I am not an expert on NRA classifications but the older one appears like it would be perfect if not for a small section on the wood near the lever where some oil or cleaner must have deteriorated and caused the wood to stick to the inside of the case, leaving a blemish with cotton/wool strands stuck in the grain.

My uncle wants to give me these rifles and I want to be able to care for them properly. What should I use to clean the blemish and prepare them for storage?

Last question: Do you know what these might be valued at or know of the best "blue books"/online resources for these types of rifles?

Thanks!
Old December 10, 2001, 05:19 AM   #2
Steven Mace

Kryptonite, my guess is the Winchester Modol 1894's you're describing are similar to the one pictured above. These would be considered a Production Carbine model manufactured from about 1940-1964. They would have a 20" round barrel & full length tubular magazine with blued finish. A plain forearm and straight grip buttstock. And no saddle ring on the receiver.

The following values appear in the Blue Book of Gun Values Twenty-Second Edition, by S.P. Fjestad:

100% - $395
98% - $375
95% - $350
90% - $325
80% - $300
70% - $275
60% - $250
50% - $220

Of all the pre-'64 versions of the Model 1894 this is one of the most common which is probably why values are relatively low. Hope this helps!

Steve Mace
Old December 10, 2001, 06:46 AM   #3
Inspector Callahan

Hi Kryptonite!

Those two rifles sound priceless to me. I think that any kind of monetary value assigned to them would be an insult.

Cheers,
Callahan
If you don't understand weapons you don't understand fighting. If you don't understand fighting you don't understand war. If you don't understand war you don't understand history. And if you don't understand history you might as well live with your head in a sack. - Colonel Jeff Cooper
Old December 10, 2001, 10:26 AM   #4
Kryptonite

That's the gun!

That gun shown is what I am talking about. Thanks. I am not going to sell them, but I want to know how much to itemize their worth when I call up my insurance agent.

Isn't there a difference between a model 1894 and model 94? I think that the 32 Specials are worth more than the more common 30-30s. I'll probably insure each of them for $500 or so.

Somebody told me a typical wood cleaner might work on that blemish but I think I might need a stronger solvent. Anybody know which brand(s) to look/ask for?
Old December 14, 2001, 12:32 AM   #5
radom

I think I would consider a 32 special or a 30-30 both as a common cal in this model. The 32 was very popular for some years. The 32-40, 25-35, 22 WCF and other not made for years calibers would be "less common" in a 94. My brother picked up a 1939 vintage 30-30 in around 98% finish a bit ago for 150 bucks. I still think he stole the darn thing.