The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 22, 2001, 03:29 PM   #1
seadog

My wife says I'm nuts...

My wife said I was going to blow myself up someday...She likes guns, but doesn't think much of reloading due to the "danger" and all the "explosives" in the basement...16 years nothing blown up yet... I did an inventory of powders, primers, and loaded ammo of various types. I didn't tell her, but here are the findings:

Primers: 9700 of various types
Powder: 30 Lbs. total, various
Ammo ready to go: about 9000 rounds in 14 calibers

AM I nuts or are most of you in line with this. That dang Dillon 550 can crank out the gun chow you know....Need to feed the babies
Old October 22, 2001, 04:55 PM   #2
Poodleshooter

I'm a piker. Only about 7k primers, 20# of powder. I don't have many rounds on tap, as I can never contain myself long enough to keep any around.
Old October 22, 2001, 05:08 PM   #3
WIL TERRY

WIVES ARE ALWAYS RIGHT YOU KNOW...

SO RATHER THAN HER CUTTING YOU OFF FOR THE DURATION YOU BETTER SHIP ALL THAT RELOADING STUFF TO ME.
IT'LL FEEL AT HOME AMONG MY SEVERAL HUNDRED THOUSAND CASES, KEGS OF FOOMFODDER, PRIMERS OUT THE WAZOO, AND SOMEWHERE BETWEEN 50-100,000 ROUNDS OF AMMO I KEEP ON HAND; AIN'T SURE HOW MUCH TODAY BECAUSE I WENT SHOOTIN BIGTIME THIS PAST WEEKEND.
I FEEL PROUD SAVING YOUR MARRIAGE LIKE THIS...
TOO DAMNDED BAD I COULDN'T SAVE ANY OF MY PREVIOUS ONES...
ON THE OTHER HAND MY CURRENT AND LAST WIFE IS A PEACH WHO BUGS ME NO END TO TAKE HER SHOOTING, IS NOW BECOMING OBSESSED WITH ME TALKING HER HUNTING...
OH LORDY, IF I'D HAVE MARRIED THIS ONE FIRST I'D HAVE SAVED SEVERAL HUNDRED THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS I COULD HAVE SPENT ON MORE GUNS AND LOADING COMPONENTS...
TOO SOON OLD, TOO LATE SMART...
Old October 22, 2001, 05:09 PM   #4
Fred

Wow, you're definitely nuts (:->)

I would never have that much stuff in my basement. Oh -- wait -- I don't have a basement. But I do have a garage that has about 15K primers, 20 lbs. of powder and only about 5K rounds for 8 calibers.
Old October 22, 2001, 05:20 PM   #5
C.R.Sam

TERRY cheats, he's been collectin for nigh on to 97 yars.

Sam
Old October 22, 2001, 06:50 PM   #6
Mal H
Staff

seadog - Sound like you've got a fairly good start. Now, when are you going to get down to business and build up a good supply of ammo/powder/primers?

Fortunately, my wife doesn't think I'm crazy - she flat out knows it for a fact!
Old October 23, 2001, 12:15 AM   #7
Waterdog

Here in AZ, a class III collector had a garage full of ammo and components. The house caught on fire, the ammo began to cookoff, so the fire dept. had wait until the fireworks died down before attempting to put the fire out.

His collection was turned into a burnt and rusty pile of junk, with considerable damage to his home.

Waterdog
Old October 23, 2001, 08:44 AM   #8
JoeHatley

seadog,

I sure don't see any problem. My current inventory is:

16# powder
25K primers
5k bullets (10k on order)
Uncounted thousands of loaded rounds

I like to buy in bulk when stuff is on sale.

Joe
Old October 23, 2001, 01:06 PM   #9
Bogie

Heh... That ain't much... I'm seriously considering buying a few 44+ pound "jugs" next time my favorite powder becomes available...

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!
Old October 23, 2001, 09:08 PM   #10
Ben Shepherd

You sound pretty close to "normal", at least around here.

NRA certified rifle, pistol and shotgun instructor.
Hunter education instructor
Old October 23, 2001, 09:39 PM   #11
seadog

Thank you folks. Glad I am not "sick". I will print out the replies and show the "boss". Actually, she is a dang fine gal. Put up with me for 22 years Like I said, she likes to shoot, she just doesn't think much of the "explosives"
Old October 23, 2001, 10:03 PM   #12
KP95DAO

You are about 60% light in my book. Maybe a little long on the rounds. I am trying to catch up.
Old October 23, 2001, 10:34 PM   #13
biganimal

seadog
you ain't normal but ya ain't crazy either! What you are is a RELOADER!!!!!!

tell the finer half that most of your stuff isn't too dangerous if handled in a safe manner.

You can tell her that in my gun room I have 5 eight pound cans of powder and about 35 one pounders, 700 pyrodex pellets , 6000 primers, and over 4500 rounds of loaded and factory ammo. And 26000 rounds of ammo buried in the woods for the revolution!!!!
Old October 24, 2001, 02:37 AM   #14
Hal

Sounds normal to me.

The can of "lawn mower food" (gasoline) in the garage is waaaay more dangerous than the 30 pounds of powder.
Old October 24, 2001, 09:53 AM   #15
Mal H
Staff

seadog - RAE reminded me that your wife is afraid of having "explosives" in the house (so would I, if they were explosives). Nothing is better than a demonstration to show that the powder is not explosive. Make a small pile of powder in the back yard and light it with a long match. She'll see that it doesn't explode at all. It burns fairly fast, but no explosion. Even ammo that "cooks off" in a fire doesn't send the bullet whizzing along at firearm speeds. I believe the bullets seldom get a few yards from the fire that caused it to go off and they don't travel at leathal speeds. I'm not saying I would want to be nearby when a boxfull goes off, but they really aren't exceptionally dangerous as they are when enclosed by the cylinder of a gun.

PS - Don't try the 'pile of powder' demo with black powder or you will be forced to pack everything up and get it out of the house, toot sweet.
Old October 24, 2001, 11:13 AM   #16
Long Path

Mal of course is giving excellent advice. The first time that I saw this done, it was done in an ashtray in the living room of a freind, whom I thought was nuts. A very small fire with interesting colors burned, and when it was all burned, there was no fire. The end. What a let-down!

Explain to her that powders BURN, not detonate.

Gasoline is far more dangerous, and she likely thinks nothing of strapping 20 gallons of that to her back every time she fires up a car, or of putting a can in the garage.

Then find something quick (quickly, now!) for her to be right about. ( ! )

L.P.
Old October 24, 2001, 01:29 PM   #17
Yanus

You guys are a trip. I also get funny looks from my wife of almost 12 years. When we were dating, I told her I came as a package deal, guns and all. She has somehow put up with the endless packages, cans, boxes, and anything else I could find to store supplies. When I want to yank her chain, I simply say "so much ammo, so little time". THAT usually works! LOL!

Have a better day!
Old October 24, 2001, 10:19 PM   #18
seadog

Yep, I told her it does not explode, it burns. She said yes, very, very quickly...She's cool with it now since I showed her the responses from my colleagues...Thanks
Old October 24, 2001, 11:47 PM   #19
blades67

Quote:
My wife says I'm nuts...
You still haven't convinced me she's wrong.

I hunt, therefore I am.