The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 11, 2014, 05:15 PM   #26
Nick_C_S

I use this:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/541...ProductFinding

It's Lyman treated corn cob (the green stuff). I tumble with it before size/decap - just like you plan on doing. I have no other media to compare it against, but it seems to work perfectly for me.

It's my understanding that walnut shell is more abrasive - harsh, if you will. I don't know if it's better or worse for the application.

I couple years ago, I set out to do what you're trying to do now, and this where I landed. I'm satisfied.
Old June 11, 2014, 06:33 PM   #27
sig220mwxxxx

I use walnut media purchased from a pet supply store. Untreated for cleaning and treated for polishing. Originally used MIdway's polishing liquid, ran out and they no longer had it so now use Dillon's. It has worked well for years and I see no need to change. I did recently get a Dillon case and media separator and it works really well and saves much time. After reading reviews online about the "other" separators out there I chose the Dillon and have not been disappointed. I bought the smaller version and it handles a hell of a lot of cases so the bigger one must be something.
Old June 15, 2014, 09:22 AM   #28
rebs

Those of you using crushed walnut, how long do you use it before changing it out for new stuff ?
Old June 15, 2014, 09:37 AM   #29
mehavey

I switched from Petzilla/Lizard litter a while ago, and now run Harbor Freight's crushed walnut sandblast media (comes in a box/1-ft cube). The pet store stuff w/ a tablespoon of paint thinner/dryer sheet worked great, but was just small enough for me to have to poke it out of the flashhole with a paperclip. No big deal -- just an extra step.

The Harbor Freight media is just that much larger that it doesn't stick in the flashhole. When it's ground itself down to where it does, time to change.

Since I just dump things into the tumbler and leave it overnight (if not for days !)that can be 300 hours for me.