The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 3, 2001, 12:17 AM   #1
Mylhouse

Someone has offered to sell me a used tumbler. We haven't agreed on price because I don't know what it is worth and he doesn't remember what he paid for it. The base is metal and maroon in color and the bowl is black plastic. It is called the "Ultra Vibe-18" and under that it says "Thumler's Tumbler" made in Auburn, Washington.

What can you tell me about this tumbler? Are they still being made? Is this a really old one? Is it as effective as one of the ones sold by Dillon or Midway? Is it a cheapo model or an expensive one?

Just wanted to know because I have never heard of it.
Thanks as always.
Old June 3, 2001, 02:12 AM   #2
railroader

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...threadid=68424 Check this thread. It's on the reloading forum right below yours. They talk about that same tumbler.
Old June 4, 2001, 01:10 AM   #3
Mylhouse

Thanks, railroader! Anyone else have anything to add? Cost, maybe?
Old June 4, 2001, 07:27 PM   #4
Trigger Jerk

It's just like the one I have. New, they are about $80 or $90. Used it's worth about $35-40, maybe a little more. It is of exellent quality. find my post on the other thread and you will see that I have tumbled literally in excess 0f 100,000 cases in the last few months. I couldn't ask for a better performance. I beleive it's built a little heavier than the Midway's but the Dillons are good also.
Old June 4, 2001, 09:50 PM   #5
Big Bunny

'Thumbler'...hmm....sounds like a gem/lapidary model to me.
Probably heavy-duty with rollers etc.

I have a lighter US domestic 110v LYMAN 'Turbo-Twin' with a transformer for our 240v and do all secondhand .222 bullets and all my cases in the big one and small local gemstones to polish in the wet one, but with a moulded cast in situ re-inforced liner of panel-beaters "bog" to stop wear.

It sometimes is left on for days, but the integral fan keeps it cool in 35c heat.

Lyman is OK by me.