The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 5, 2014, 09:16 PM   #1
RED_beard92

Stock ideas

I’m thinking about doing a little upgrade on my hunting/survival gun. It is a modern firearm, a Baikal mp94 12ga over 30.06 to be exact. I like the idea of having some extra storage in the gun (doesn’t have to be a lot of storage). I heard of a couple of guys hollowing out the buttstock but I got a different idea. I love the old flintlocks and that brass door that they have on their stock. I don’t know if the door has a technical term or not, but the door is used to store patches, extra flint etc. I was wondering if there was a way to go about this. Or is it more of a pipe dream?
Old February 6, 2014, 01:03 AM   #2
SIGSHR

A "patchbox" is the term I have always heard, on flintlocks they ranged from the elaborate brass ones seen on Pennsylvania and Kentucky rifles to a simple sliding wooden cover. Depending on your woodworking skills, installing one would require a bit of inletting.
Old February 6, 2014, 11:42 AM   #3
Pahoo

Why not ???

I have seen this application and the one that comes to mind, is the Savage-24, survival. It has a trapdoor type construction, on the buttstock. Oh yes, then there are the SKS's that have a push button door, on the buttplate and stores a toolkit, in the buttstock. I know it can be done and in your service, a pretty good idea. ....

Funny you should mention patch boxes. I have an older Pennsylvania flintlock with a rather ornate patchbox, when I first got this M/L, I opened up the box and found the usual spares, wrapped in cloth and under that, in the stock, was and old compass. I thought that was pretty neat !! ...

Be Safe !!!
Old February 6, 2014, 06:05 PM   #4
DaleA

Go for it.

One of the fiew times a Dremel tool might actually be the right tool for the job.

Didn't Army M16's have hollow butt stocks?
Old February 7, 2014, 05:52 PM   #5
RED_beard92

After finding out it is called a patch box i found some stuff on the internet that may help me a bit. The only concern that i have is that i fear the recoil may crack the stock if i hollow out TOO much, i shoot 180 grain 30.06 shells and high brass express 12 ga shells out of the guns 20in barrel. The LAST thing i want to do is destory the stock, if the stock gets damaged then im in a bad way cause its a break action.