The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 13, 2014, 07:55 PM   #1
alaskabushman

Remington Model 7 question

I recently purchased a Remington model 7 in 7mm-08. I threw a 2-7 Nikon scope on it and it shoots great. However, I'm not huge fan of the black synthetic hollow stock that comes with it. After some quick looking around I dont really see much in the way of aftermarket goodies for the Model 7. Lots of stuff for the Remington 700 of course, but I am pretty sure they aren't the same. Any advice or ideas for aftermarket stocks or "stuff" for the model 7? How about a scout style scope mount?
Old January 13, 2014, 07:58 PM   #2
reynolds357

I do not know what it would cost, but you can get a very nice walnut stock from Remington.
Boyds has laminate stocks for the 7.
Old January 13, 2014, 09:10 PM   #3
PetahW

AFAIK, www.xssights.com makes a scout mount rail that will fit a Seven.

I used expanding construction-grade insulating foam, sprayed through the supplied straw, to fill the hollow insides of the issue Remington stock on the 7mm-08 Model Seven I had, before I sent it off for a camo (Realtree) dip.

I just sprayed the recess about 3/4ths full, waited a minute of three for the foam to expand & harden before I sliced off the excess.

The foam deadened the noise the issue stock made if/when it was scratched against brush while hunting/stalking.

Old January 13, 2014, 10:54 PM   #4
big al hunter

Boyds gunstocks carries walnut as well as laminated.
Old January 14, 2014, 08:27 AM   #5
Doyle

One of my favorite rifles is my Model 7. I would NEVER consider putting a scout mount scope on it - that would throw the balance way off. Mine wears a Leupold VXII 2-7 which is probably the lightest scope in its class. It balances perfectly with that.
Old January 14, 2014, 09:13 AM   #6
jmr40

The cheap plastic stock will shoot as well as any aftermarket stock and be far more rugged and weather resistant than anything wood, even laminate. Will be lighter too.

You could fill the hollow buttstock with expanding foam, but packing peanuts poured in for a tight fit and replacing the recoil pad does the same thing with a lot less mess. And they can be removed if you choose.

A scout scope's only real purpose is to allow faster reloading with stripper clips. The scope you have mounted conventionally is faster for close range shooting and offers better long range precision. Don't ruin the rifle with a scout scope.

I'd leave it as is and use it. If you decide you later want to upgrade to a McMillan or other good quality stock you can. I'd either go big or not at all. Anything less is just spending money for a lateral move.
Old January 14, 2014, 10:15 AM   #7
Panfisher

I have a Rem model 7, stainless synthetic and I love it. I have no problems with the hollow stock, shoots great, mine wears a 3-9x40 Leupold, if I had it to do over I might well switch to a 2-7 but otherwise wouldnt change a thing. I am not a fan of scout rifle set-ups for no good reason since I have never used one, just too "different" for me, of course I didn't really care for AR's until I bought one either. If I was going to switch out stocks I would opt for a laminated one from Boyds. Since I got my Model 7 my Rem 700 in .280 REm has languished in relative neglect in the gun safe, the little 7-08 has the balance and light weight that just seems to fit me perfectly.
Old January 14, 2014, 11:19 AM   #8
reynolds357

If you really want to make the stock solid, you can pack it full of Bondo. You could do like one of my crazy relatives and pack it full of lead shot mixed with exoxy. He now has a concrete block to tote around but he says "it dont kick near as bad now."
Old January 14, 2014, 11:56 AM   #9
Picher

The factory stock on a friend's Model 7 split at the front screw, probably due to over-tightening. After a repair/pillar-bedding job, the rifle shoots better than ever.
Old January 14, 2014, 12:17 PM   #10
longranger

I have one of these in 22-250 same action except single shot.These are Boyd's stocks and come in different patterns and colors. Some epoxy and pillars you'll have a rifle shooting better than you can hold it.They are well under $200.00 and very good stocks once glass bedded and pillars add a Wyatts DBM on BDL model and really have a nice set up.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j...89806045100679
Old January 14, 2014, 08:46 PM   #11
Rmart30

Ive seen the Boyds stocks on a couple of model 7 and they look great.
You may be able to trade someone the synthetic for their wood stock.
Old January 15, 2014, 07:37 PM   #12
kawasakifreak77

I've bought AAC's Micro 7 which is just a model 7 in 300 blk & fell in love with the rifle. Except I cannot stand the black plastic stock. I've been looking for a factory youth wood stock to no avail now for six months because I want to make sure the comb is low enough to comfortably use iron sights.

Does Boyds offer a stock with a low enough comb for irons?
Old January 15, 2014, 08:19 PM   #13
Sure Shot Mc Gee

I bought my model 7_ 20 plus years ago. In those days the rifle only came with wood I'm pleased to say. My suggestion. If your present stock fits well. Have it copied in walnut. Probably have to re-finish it yourself. But that's not a problem these days with all the stock finishing products available.

http://www.gunstockduplicating.com/pricing.html
Old January 16, 2014, 07:41 PM   #14
alaskabushman

Thanks everyone for the tips. My main reason for wanting a different stock is i don't care for the black synthetic all that much, as durable and lightweight as it is. I looked at Boyds and all I could see were stocks with a right handed comb, which is not a deal breaker for me but as a lefty its kind of annoying. I don't really want to spend a couple hundred bucks on a stock for a gun that only cost me $500 to begin with. As for the scout mount I was really only curious to see what was out there. I don't have a scope with long eye relief and don't want to drop the money one one right now anyway. I really do like the gun and the setup, just seeing what else is out there. Thanks again.