The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 20, 2013, 10:39 AM   #1
skizzums

Daewoo DP-51

i recently came across one of these, well used, for 300$. it's a cool looking gun and a pretty compact size. has anyone had any personal experience with these? i know there will be hurdles with parts and service if i have a problem, but it would be more of a piece just to have to be different. but i would like to know if it's reliable and has acceptable accuracy.

thanks

p.s. they have a 30day gaurantee on used guns. if it doesn't work, can get complete refund. after researching i see that lionheart LH9 is a clone and the parts and mags are interchangeable. but they are signifigantly more $$ than 300$

Last edited by skizzums; November 20, 2013 at 10:50 AM.
Old November 20, 2013, 11:37 AM   #2
PSP

I can speak for it's big brother, the DH40. Same gun in .40 cal. Reliable, accurate enough, good trigger, well made, pretty robust and IMHO... a best buy. Neat trigger.
Old November 20, 2013, 02:26 PM   #3
carguychris

Although I've never used a DP-51 or tried this, S&W 59-series mags are widely reported to work in the pistol, although they project below the grip slightly. This is a BIG PLUS, as genuine OEM DP-51 mags can be hard to come by, although they're generally not too expensive when available. OTOH the S&W mags are typically plentiful AND cheap just about everywhere.

DP-51 mags are too short to fit in a S&W 59-series (59, x59, 59xx, or 91x), although it's been theorized that they would probably work in the shorter 69-series.

FWIW although the trigger system is almost entirely different, the S&W 59-series apparently served as a design template for the Daewoo DP-series pistols; they're almost exactly the same shape, they lock up the same way, most of the field-stripping procedure is the same, and 59-series holsters can often be used in addition to mags. However, the Daewoo trigger guard is more similar in shape to the squared S&W trigger guard used from the mid 1980's to the late 1990's, so I suspect you may have trouble with some S&W holsters designed for the much more svelte rounded trigger guard used on the earlier and later pistols. This is a well-known issue with the Smiths, so many holster makers list which trigger guard the holster is designed to fit.

Last edited by carguychris; November 20, 2013 at 02:33 PM.
Old November 20, 2013, 02:52 PM   #4
RX-79G

The service pistol of a the very practical and serious South Korean military.

$300 is high. Sarco has some excellent condition ones for $250.
Old November 20, 2013, 03:13 PM   #5
Tactical Jackalope

Oh my God, it looks like a SIG. lol Did a double take...

I don't know much about them. But my friend has an Arcus 9mm that's that same price that's a High-Power copy, he loves it.
Old November 20, 2013, 04:59 PM   #6
WESHOOT2

Older versions may offer fer-crap accuracy (Irv Stone of BarSto fame did some work on the DP for Daewoo and it paid off in accuracy).

There are NO parts (and they DO break).

Pass, unless you just want it as a conversation piece.
Old November 20, 2013, 07:05 PM   #7
skizzums

thanks for the sarco advice. that much better condition than what i was looking at, even with ship and fll it'll be cheaper too. thanks
Old November 20, 2013, 07:13 PM   #8
railroader

Looks to be a new importer. Maybe some parts will be available. http://www.lionheartindustries.com/lh9/#.Uo1QeSclhLw
Old November 20, 2013, 08:28 PM   #9
Jo6pak

I fired a DP-51 many years ago, I didn't really know the guy who had it, so I can't comment to the longevity/durability/parts issues; but this is my recollection of it.

a bit wonky, but not bad... I'll try to explain.
The pistol feels similar to the older S+W autos to me. Which for me was not a selling point, YMMV.
The accuracy was not stellar and the whole pistol seemed a bit "unfinished," with the slide and controls being a bit rough. Again, not bad, more akin to the value-priced 1911 we see everywhere.
The "tri-action" trigger is the most interesting feature and the pistol functioned fine the day we shot it.

For a collection, it may be worthwhile as an example of the type and as a conversation piece that actually functions at the range.

That's my $.02 anyway, you can give me change if you like
Old November 20, 2013, 08:37 PM   #10
skizzums

imma have to have it. i figure if it doesnt shoot well for me, a match grade barrel is 140 from lionheart. so i would still be under four hundred bucks for a decent pistol. hopefully i wont need a barrel and i cann stay at the 225$. ill give ya'll a report in a week or so.
Old November 20, 2013, 09:19 PM   #11
INMY01TA

I had one for about 10 years. Never failed.

Old November 20, 2013, 09:38 PM   #12
Walt Sherrill

I've had several, and they're solid guns. My first DP-51 was exceptionally accurate, but someone made me an offer I couldn't resist. The second was good, but not AS good. I had a DH-40, too. OK, but nothing stellar -- but I wasn't shooting .40 particularly well at that time, so it may have been me and not the gun.

Someone mentioned that the one he shot seemed "unfinished." I've always been impressed with fit and finish on the DaeWoo guns. I thought they looked like S&W 2nd or 3rd Generation guns made in a SIG factory.

The DP51 and DH40 have an unusual trigger/fire control system using a hinged trigger: 1) you can shoot it from hammer down in typical double action mode. 2) you can shoot if from cocked and locked in the traditional SA mode. Or, 3) you can cock the hammer, then push it forward; this leaves the hammer spring partially cocked but the hammer down. You then pull the trigger which has a very OBVIOUS step/stage, and the hammer flies back and you can then pull on through with the normal SA shot. It sounds complicated but when doing it's easily staged and work well. It makes the hammer down SA lighter and easier than DA, but not quite as light as SA.
Old November 23, 2013, 07:26 PM   #13
Jo6pak

Walt, please allow me to clarify my post; perhaps I used the wrong term when mentioning "unfinished"
The fit and finish of the pistol was fine. What I was referring to was the mechanisms seemed a bit stiff and rough.

Of course that was comparing it to my HK USP that I owned at the time, so my remembering may be a bit skewed.
Old November 23, 2013, 07:31 PM   #14
Walt Sherrill

Well, in your defense, the action of the DP-51, while smooth (and finished) did feel DIFFERENT than other guns I've owned. I will probably get another one, one of these days. (I'm still looking for a PMR-30, right now.)
Old November 23, 2013, 10:20 PM   #15

I remember Irv Stone of Bar-Sto being contracted to help them solve accuracy issues, but no significant gains were accomplished. So what pistol is the S. Korean military using today? Since the Daewoo's are no longer imported into the US, it seems that their military has moved on to another pistol.
Old November 23, 2013, 10:37 PM   #16
Walt Sherrill

I suspect that may have been the .40 model (DH-40) which was considered less accurate than the 9mm model. That was my experience, having owned both calibers. (The first magazine review of the gun I read, many years ago, said they liked the 9mm, but found the .40 acceptable, but not outstanding.)

Some of the nines were exceptionally accurate. (One of mine was outstanding, while the other (9mm) gun was good, but not great.)