The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 26, 2013, 07:32 AM   #51
std7mag

Money...

My girlfriend doesn't particularly care for guns too much. Although she has decided that because I have taken the time to educate her as to how the guns I have operate, and because I am responsible for them that she can live with it. She has even shown interest in going with me to the shooting range, and is actually quite a good marksman (markswoman?).

Her opinion for firearms has come from an idiot of an ex boyfriend. She enjoys the .22lr, and .22 WMR. Has declined shooting my 7mm Rem Mag so far. lol

My interest isn't so much a thing of seeing how many guns I can collect, as I have recently gotten into attempting to design my own line of cartridges, and am saving money to start doing that.
Old October 26, 2013, 10:17 PM   #52
medalguy

Vault space! And maybe lack of something I really *need*.
Old October 26, 2013, 10:41 PM   #53
saitek

ouch

not enough money to buy more ,not enough ability to shoot them,,not enough ammo !
Old October 27, 2013, 01:18 AM   #54
9mmfan

Mostly money. I also am at a place in my life where if I had the extra dough, it could be put to better purposes.

My wife and I just bought our first house, and I would rather put some work into that if I had the funds. Some updating, improving, remodeling and such.

Our new jobs in our new town don't pay as well as our old ones, and while we aren't broke, such purchases would be unjustifiably frivolous.

Fortunately, I have built a collection that is fairly well rounded. Couple that with the fact that I haven't had much time to shoot what I have, and I really don't need anything else. Even if I had more disposable income, most bases are covered.

Of course once we get a little more settled, I might have to find a Colt 1903. Don't have a Hi Power either...
Old October 27, 2013, 08:47 AM   #55
thedudeabides

money, money, money
Old October 27, 2013, 09:25 AM   #56
born2climb

"What keeps you from buying/owning more firearms?"

The fact that the media says that firearms are bad. I wouldn't want to own a bad thing now would I? From all accounts, guns are known to sneak out at night all by themselves and commit horrible crimes. I can't be an accessory to that!
Old October 27, 2013, 08:03 PM   #57
Rmart30

I cant say for sure i wont buy a few more, but for now I have stopped.

Any excess funds I spend on ammo now.

When I look back at my great grandfather, he only owned 4 firearms his whole life. I had more than that by age 22, and way more than that now. I feel very fortunate to have what I have.
If I never buy another one, ive got everything I could ever need in my lifetime now.
Old October 27, 2013, 10:14 PM   #58
Tucker 1371

I have what I need for now, my M1A is my general purpose rifle, I have an AK74 clone filling the carbine role, a Mossberg 590a1, and a 1911 and a Glock 23. The only things I really lack are a .22lr and a hunting shotgun.
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe
Old October 28, 2013, 03:22 AM   #59
Husqvarna

laws and money

I am on the track to be able to get a few handguns but it is a process.

I am a lefty thou so I guess that keeps me not being able to buy just about anything, which is a good thing re rifles atleast
Old October 28, 2013, 07:19 PM   #60
johnwilliamson062

Space. I am limited to one small safe with several other things in it. I used to not be so limited though.
Old October 30, 2013, 12:14 PM   #61
8MM Mauser

Money.

Someday, assuming I make a decent career for myself; I will limit myself to 7 guns that I own for functional reasons; and probably 20 ish that I own because they are cool, historical, or both.
Old October 30, 2013, 01:46 PM   #62
SC4006

Quote:
Money.

Someday, assuming I make a decent career for myself; I will limit myself to 7 guns that I own for functional reasons; and probably 20 ish that I own because they are cool, historical, or both.
Sounds about like what I am planning on doing, probably not quite as many for me though, but we'll see.

They say 5 out of 4 people are bad at math.
Old October 31, 2013, 01:57 PM   #63
RickB

18yo twins who will both be going to college. That should keep me from buying any more guns for a while.
Old October 31, 2013, 05:34 PM   #64
mr.t7024

Owning more firearms

I have to many,and running out of room.also running out of space. On top of that,not many catch my eye any more!Cliff
Old October 31, 2013, 05:40 PM   #65
tgreening

What keeps you from buying/owning more firearms?

Post #40. What he said. Top quality training. Once my stamps come in I'll pretty much be at the downhill side of buying what I want to own, but being able to get KNOWN quality training would be great.
Old October 31, 2013, 05:43 PM   #66
Hawg

Money. I have way more guns than I need but not nearly as many as I want. Just deciding what to take on a deer hunt is a dilemma.
Old October 31, 2013, 06:04 PM   #67
coldbeer

Priorities
Old October 31, 2013, 06:22 PM   #68
Ignition Override

Fourteen rifles are probably enough, after recently acquiring a second Garand (from the CMP-where else?). The next gun might be my First handgun.

Cash is now going only into ammo (M2 Ball, 7.62x39), and the storing began in '09.
Old October 31, 2013, 07:08 PM   #69
Terry A

I'm getting old and I want my son to have all my firearms. I've already given him quite a few and sold some he wasn't interested in. I have 22 that I still like, use, need, want, etc. I imagine over the years to come, that number will gradually whittle down.....
2 Thes 3:16 "Now may the Lord of peace Himself continually grant you peace in every circumstance. The Lord be with you all! "
Old October 31, 2013, 07:51 PM   #70
larryf1952

What keeps me from buying or owning more firearms?

Desire. I have been buying and collecting firearms since 1973, and I can honestly say that I now do not have the desire to accumulate any others. I don't have a massive collection, but I have a substantial number in my safe.

I purchased each and every one of them because I had the desire to do so, and I waited until the funds were available. When I brought them home, they made me happy.

I don't shoot as much or as often as I used to shoot, and I have no sons to leave them to, so logic has convinced me to say it's over. Even though that same logic is now telling me to start thinning the herd, I just ended a last gasp gun buying run over the past 5 or 6 years, and I have yet to shoot 1 or 2 of those purchases.

So, the rest of you guys keep updating your Christmas lists, and saving your $$. For me, that part is over, but that just might have been the best part of all.
Old October 31, 2013, 08:16 PM   #71
Andy Blozinski

Since most of the guns I would really like to buy cost from $10,000 to $50,000 each...the answer is money.
Old October 31, 2013, 08:55 PM   #72
Yung.gunr

For me it's strictly a money issue. If I had the money to I would probably have at least 100 by now. As it is I feel guilty for having a Beretta 92fs and an XD9 as they serve pretty much the same purpose. A wife, three kids, a fourth on the way, bills, uncertainty with the economy, obamacare debacle (the list goes on and on) I just can't buy more.

I told my wife a year or two ago I would be happy with five in each of the following categories; semi auto handgun, revolver, bolt rifle, semi auto rifle & shotgun. But, I think we both know I would still want more. I just really like them as more than just tools. I live the looks and collecting.

Oh and after seeing someone say something about a 7mm rem mag I feel I probably won't ever get into more powerful guns than maybe .308/7.62NATO or 7.62x54R. Shot my Dad's new 7mm rem mag and while it doesn't have a recoil pad I don't think I would enjoy shooting anything that big. I'm pretty sure I won't ever NEED anything that big.
Old October 31, 2013, 09:05 PM   #73
buckeyefan012

It's a money issue for me. I don't necessarily need the guns but I have a few on my list that, although they may have some similarities, each one brings it's own unique features to the table. Some are better shooters, some are better lookers. Some are for the home, some are for the range. For me, each gun tells a story and has a history and that's one of the things that will keep me buying them as long as the funds are available.
Old October 31, 2013, 09:32 PM   #74
zxcvbob

I already have way more than I can shoot. That doesn't mean I will never buy another gun, just that I'm not in any hurry to buy more -- I'm trying to enjoy what I have.

But I do need to get a shotgun (or two) someday... Kind of embarrassing that I don't even have one shotgun...
Old November 1, 2013, 12:14 PM   #75
adrians

I have around 30 rifles but getting anymore is difficult due to MONEY,, my wife insists we eat, pay bills,,, ect,,ect,,, .

I don't understand her silly reasoning but i'll have to live with it,,.

For a while,,,,