The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 9, 2013, 06:26 PM   #1
wolfe 21

inexpensive ak variant

Is there still a good ak variant that is reasonably priced or has the price hIke driven away all chance for a decent deal on an ak...
I am looking for a 5.45x39, side folding ak that I can outfit with a red dot of some type. Purely range use. I can go 7.62 also, but would prefer 5.45. I don't have arsenal money, so that's out for now...
Old October 9, 2013, 06:50 PM   #2
Garycw

inexpensive ak variant

AMD65 side folder is the least expensive I've seen. Well made and very light $650
Old October 9, 2013, 10:11 PM   #3
Fishbed77

Right now, the best value in AKs are the Yugo O-PAPs (can be found online for under $600), but I believe they are all 7.62x39mm.

http://www.gunheaven.com/century-arm...85e7a52604edcd
Old October 10, 2013, 08:50 PM   #4
skizzums

http://centerfiresystems.com/AKAGUN-TANTEL.aspx

http://www.slickguns.com/product/pol...n-tantal-39999

5.45x39 for 559$

p.s. i have always been pleased with the simplicity and affordability of sks's, lots of fun parts, but really always best just left stock. have a couple, one bullpupped, one original, they are very good cheap guns and 7.62x39 is still readily avail at 5.50 a box. not a gun your ever going to break either, just keep the firing pin clean and well lubed.

Last edited by skizzums; October 10, 2013 at 09:01 PM.
Old October 10, 2013, 09:52 PM   #5
Boomer58cal

Can't spell

I remember a few years back when you could get a NEW Saiga .308 for $450! It's pretty hard to find anything under $600 these days.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer58cal; October 11, 2013 at 12:36 PM.
Old October 11, 2013, 04:53 AM   #6
Garycw

inexpensive ak variant

Quote:
Originally Posted by skizzums View Post

http://www.slickguns.com/product/pol...n-tantal-39999

5.45x39 for 559$

p.s. i have always been pleased with the simplicity and affordability of sks's, lots of fun parts, but really always best just left stock. have a couple, one bullpupped, one original, they are very good cheap guns and 7.62x39 is still readily avail at 5.50 a box. not a gun your ever going to break either, just keep the firing pin clean and well lubed.
That tantel is a pretty nice looking package.and a good price. Too bad is not chambered in 7.62x39.
+1 on the SKS's. I have a couple heavily modified and 7 or 8 originals of different variations/ origins
Old October 12, 2013, 06:55 PM   #7
Teirst

http://www.classicfirearms.com/ak74riflewusparts-1
Old October 14, 2013, 06:54 AM   #8
Tangentabacus

Not sure the legality but a buddy went and got the parts to build one and built an AK in his garage for $400. You mentioned cheap so I thought I'd tell you about the cheapest AK I've seen in a while. Though... For some reason I don't really want to shoot it. At all.
Old October 14, 2013, 04:42 PM   #9
HankC1

AKs are pretty easy to find at mid 500s now, give it a few months and it should go low 500s, that is what it should be if not high $400s.
Old October 14, 2013, 04:51 PM   #10
Beretta686

I hope I'm wrong, but the days of the "Cheap AK" are probably behind us.

I've seen Romanian WASRs going for over $700 at gunshows, when I got mine for $400 a few years ago.

SKSs are still cheap and a great gun, but they lack the coolness of an AK.

Quote:
Not sure the legality but a buddy went and got the parts to build one and built an AK in his garage for $400. You mentioned cheap so I thought I'd tell you about the cheapest AK I've seen in a while. Though... For some reason I don't really want to shoot it. At all.
You can legally do that, as long as it's not full-auto and is 922r compliant.

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”
Old October 15, 2013, 07:06 AM   #11
wolfe 21

I was looking for a budget AR substitute, but for the money I can get a similarly equipped Ar that will be significantly more accurate and probably easier to sell, should I choose to do so... I was thinking ak purely because they used to be dirt cheap, not because i had to have one. Guess ill buy an ar for now and wait to see if aks come back to reasonable pricing, say $400..
Im guessing an FAL is unobtainium then as well???
Old October 15, 2013, 07:49 AM   #12
Beretta686

Quote:
I was looking for a budget AR substitute, but for the money I can get a similarly equipped Ar that will be significantly more accurate and probably easier to sell, should I choose to do so... I was thinking ak purely because they used to be dirt cheap, not because i had to have one. Guess ill buy an ar for now and wait to see if aks come back to reasonable pricing, say $400..
The FAL, the AR and the AK are all very different guns. What are you looking to do? Plink, hunt, Zombacalypse preparation?

If you're just looking for a budget AR substitute, you can get a used Mini-14 for probably $400-500 at the gunshow. I'm not a Mini-14 fan, but they're not as bad as people on the internet will tell you.

If you're looking for a Battle Rifle like the FAL, you're going to pay more for ammo and it's going to be a heavier rifle than an AR or other 5.56. Though I have a Battle Rife, it's not something I'd recommend to most people, as it's expensive to plink with and isn' much fun to lug around hunting. Plus 7.62 NATO is a bit much for most self-defense scenarios.

However, as you mentioned you may as well just save up and get an AR. There's a huge glut of them out there after the post-Sandy Hook feeding frenzy, so I'd just bide my time and wait. Bring a few Benjamin Franklins to a gunshow around Christmas time, when people need cash and you're liable to get yourself a deal.

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”
Old October 15, 2013, 06:02 PM   #13
HankC1

OK, here is a $399 AK now. Century VZ2008 built on milled receiver. It was only$350 before the panic. I don't think it takes regular AK parts or mags thought.

http://centerfiresystems.com/RIFLE-V...0DELIVERY%2521
Old October 15, 2013, 06:09 PM   #14
Beretta686

I think that's a VZ 58 derivative you're looking at. I've never actually seen one but I've read good stuff about them.

It's like an AK, but it's different and doesn't use the same mags IIRC.

Old October 15, 2013, 07:09 PM   #15
HankC1

Quote:
I recently put together 2 ARs with P-Tac M4 upper ($320 on sale) from PSA and PSA blemished lower/LPK ($99) and BlackHawks stock ($32). Total cost around $450.
Old October 15, 2013, 08:35 PM   #16
Boomer58cal

Quote:
SKSs are stillcheap and a greatgun,but they lack the coolness of an AK.
That's definitely debatable. In my opinion, AR's feel like plastic and AK's feel like they're made of recycled soda cans. SKS's have the feel of a real steel battle rifle. Like a mini m1 garand if you will.

Honestly tho... the SKS doesn't save you much weight over real m1 Grande

Boomer
Old October 15, 2013, 09:25 PM   #17
skizzums

i have a vz-58, great gun. lighter and shorter than the ak and way more accurate. i run it dirty and have never jammed unlees the lip of the case breaks off my cheap russion steel cases. but i belive the op was looking for 5.45x39. none of the guns ppl are mentioning are of this caliber.

except this one, which should be exactly what he is lookig for

Old October 15, 2013, 10:50 PM   #18
Fishbed77

Quote:
but i belive the op was looking for 5.45x39. none of the guns ppl are mentioning are of this caliber.
Except he said:

Quote:
I can go 7.62 also
Old October 16, 2013, 05:17 AM   #19
shaunpain

Are the Saigas still expensive or did they come down a bit? My honest opinion is if you're looking to buy just one rifle, the AR might be your best bet. The extra money spent will give you features and ergonomics no amount of money could give you with those other rifles. These days you won't save much with the Mini-14 and while I think they are cool guns, they feel pretty cheap in my hands and are limited in customization. If you want a battle rifle in .308, you have plenty of options, all of which are spendy. A Cetme is a great gun (think HK G3) with an even better price tag. If you can find a cheap SKS, get it. The prices are typically outrageous these days. I suggest hunting down all of the rifles you want over time because they are all guns you will love to own.
Old October 16, 2013, 08:41 AM   #20
Fishbed77

Quote:
OK, here is a $399 AK now. Century VZ2008 built on milled receiver. It was only$350 before the panic. I don't think it takes regular AK parts or mags thought.

http://centerfiresystems.com/RIFLE-V...0DELIVERY%2521
Not an AK, but dang, that's a tempting price for a VZ58 variant, even if it is a Century build with a non-chromed barrel.
Old October 16, 2013, 08:54 AM   #21
Fishbed77

Quote:
Are the Saigas still expensive or did they come down a bit?
Yeah they are still running around $500 and incredibly difficult to find.

A year ago, a Saiga (that you converted yourself) was the best value out there for an AK. Not so much anymore.
Old October 16, 2013, 09:12 AM   #22
Garycw

inexpensive ak variant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbed77 View Post
Not an AK, but dang, that's a tempting price for a VZ58 variant, even if it is a Century build with a non-chromed barrel.
I wouldn't get too excited... They're all gone and not taking back orders.
Old October 16, 2013, 01:06 PM   #23
Fishbed77

Quote:
I wouldn't get too excited... They're all gone and not taking back orders.
Haha - that was fast.
Old October 23, 2013, 12:03 AM   #24
Yung.gunr

Keep a keen eye on here.

http://www.classiccityfirearms.com/i...t_detail&p=253

They get a couple every couple days and go fast. Have your CC and FFL ready and don't hesitate. This is probably the best deal you will find.

The Saiga is the importable version of the AK, made by the same factory. It's good stuff.

You can "convert" it back to standard pistol grip and stuff. Pretty simple to do. If you do decide/are able to get one and have any questions just ask, PM me if you want.