The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Closed Thread

Old October 8, 2013, 08:24 AM   #1
William T. Watts

xx

Last edited by William T. Watts; October 10, 2013 at 07:32 AM.
Old October 8, 2013, 02:08 PM   #2
tangolima

Try Tula Nato. It works well for my M1 and SKS. They are easier to find than CCI.

-TL
Old October 8, 2013, 04:18 PM   #3
William T. Watts

xx

Last edited by William T. Watts; October 10, 2013 at 07:28 AM.
Old October 8, 2013, 07:06 PM   #4
BuckRub

I've got 2 full bricks for sale. I'll sell them for midways price plus you tell me what I need to do for shipping and you pay that price and they're yours.
Old October 8, 2013, 07:27 PM   #5
chiefr

Where are you in central AR. Last time I was at Ft Thompson in NLR they had primers and plenty of powder. You may want to give them a call.
Old October 8, 2013, 07:34 PM   #6
iraiam

I'm curious, why do you blame Midway for this? There are probably thousands of bots on the internet just waiting for any number of products to become available.

I find it encouraging that someone I never met actually got one of these e-mails, as I have requested literally hundreds, never got one one, in what? Like a year now.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason

Last edited by iraiam; October 8, 2013 at 07:40 PM.
Old October 8, 2013, 07:53 PM   #7
BigD_in_FL

It isn't Midway's fault that their comp-generated email that goes to about 1 million folks got their inventory sold out quick. Try ordering from someone else and order in quantity
Old October 8, 2013, 08:16 PM   #8
Nick_C_S

Quote:
I'm curious, why do you blame Midway for this?
I agree. Seems a little harsh.

I've gotten their text alerts and ran to my computer asap and still missed things. I happens. Midway is a great company and they're doing a good job, given extraordinary times.
Old October 8, 2013, 10:54 PM   #9
William T. Watts

xx

Last edited by William T. Watts; October 10, 2013 at 07:27 AM.
Old October 8, 2013, 11:14 PM   #10
arizona98tj

You've no idea how many e-mails were created and sent prior to your name coming up on their list of folks to notify.

Blame them all you want....it isn't their fault....not in the least. For all you know, their notification routine generates a thousand e-mails, then waits several minutes, checks the status of the product, generates another thousand if not sold out, waits several more minutes, checks the status....repeats until product sold out or all notifications made.
Old October 9, 2013, 06:55 AM   #11
jwrowland77

CCI 34 primers/MidwayUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefr View Post
Where are you in central AR. Last time I was at Ft Thompson in NLR they had primers and plenty of powder. You may want to give them a call.
Yeah they've gotten pretty good in powders now but I didn't think they carried CCI 34 primers. I think they just carry the standard primers as in standard and magnum but no NATO primers....of course I've never had a need for NATO primers either.
Old October 9, 2013, 10:12 AM   #12
serf 'rett

Quote:
...and found they were already sold out!
That's pretty much been the story line since the first of the year, so I'm surprised this is the first time you've encountered it. I've missed Xdm magazines five times at Midway since December. Four times they were sold out and the one time they lasted for over 24 hours, I had just busted the bank with a bullet order. I don’t blame Midway, I just recognize it as a sign of the times and click the Notify button again.

Wish I could help you find those primers, but the great state of AR has pretty slim pickings on reloading components. I don’t remember seeing CCI 34 anywhere in my travels. I don’t know if some place like Ft. Thompson or Mack’s Prairie Wings in Stuttgart or DNW Outdoors in Jonesboro could special order these for you, but it wouldn’t hurt to ask. I generally find myself ordering online because: a. the particular component can’t be found locally, b. when I do find it, I can’t make myself pay the shelf price when compared to online vendors

I’m unsure of what you want to accomplish by you removing yourself from their data base, ending your relationship with Midway as a customer and complaining online. I suspect many folks just shuffle one space closer and some probably as they shuffle forward, slightly tickled that the competition for the next load of CCI 34 primers has been reduced by one.

Many of us feel your pain as we have tried to get our favorite primer, powder, bullet from our favorite vendors. Moan, groan, bellyache and complain with the rest of us, but it seems to make more sense, to me, to queue up for another run if you want those primers.

Speaking of queues, I've got to go lurk at Wally world to see if any .22 ammo arrives...
Old October 9, 2013, 02:27 PM   #13
William T. Watts

xx

Last edited by William T. Watts; October 10, 2013 at 07:26 AM.
Old October 9, 2013, 02:48 PM   #14
serf 'rett

From what I've read, I'd love to visit the Fin, Feather and Fur store; un-chaperoned by the family financial comptroller.

My one gripe with Midway happened about three years ago when I placed an order for several items, all of which showed to be in stock. As it turns out, one item was backordered and I got busted for an additional $11.00 +/- shipping charge on a $50.00 item.

A flip side is I recently received a Midway order which had a busted plastic ammo box. Pick up the phone and they sent out a replacement that day at no charge (they also sold me another item during the phone call "since the shipping was free").

I’ll watch out for the CCI 34 primers when I’m out and about the state.
Old October 9, 2013, 03:02 PM   #15
mdmtj

Quote:
There was a four (4) minute delay from the time MidwayUSA email hit my email box until I click on the link to order, email was sent at 6:11PM I responded at 6:15PM, obviously the Primers were all sold prior to the email being sent. Another obvious fact the email was sent after they had closed the store and no orders could be placed.
I've attempted to place several orders with different stores minutes after receiving an email notice and been greeted with "Out Of Stock". These emails are flooding the web and things are selling quickly. You snooze - you loose, even when your snooze is just a few minutes.

I have no idea what the MidwayUSA order processing dept's hours of operation are. Do you?

I'm good with you taking your toys and going home. That's one less person competing for scarce items.
Old October 9, 2013, 03:15 PM   #16
BuckRub

Lol
Old October 9, 2013, 04:24 PM   #17
SWThomas

Wow what a cry baby. Yeah, it's Midways fault they sold them before you got some. Damn them for not reading your mind and setting some aside for you.
Old October 9, 2013, 05:48 PM   #18
iraiam

That's not how email works

Quote:
There was a four (4) minute delay from the time MidwayUSA email hit my email box until I click on the link to order, email was sent at 6:11PM I responded at 6:15PM, obviously the Primers were all sold prior to the email being sent.
Sorry, but you don't actually know when that e-mail was sent, or how far down the e-mail list you were. you only know when the last mail server applied its local time stamp to that particular email.

Additionally, you don't know how many servers, spam filters and other security measures that e-mail had to go through to make it to your inbox, it is quite possible or maybe even likely that the email had been generated and left their outbox hours before you received it. Also quite possible that the email left the hemisphere and came back to get to your inbox.

If you are using webmail services such as yahoo or gmail, get a real email account, they are faster.

Quote:
Another obvious fact the email was sent after they had closed the store and no orders could be placed. CCI 34 primer is the only component I've ever had any trouble purchasing, it's been especially frustrating to let my Beretta Garand sit in my gun case for two years and gather dust! William
If it's in stock, you can order from midway 24/7, I have placed orders with them at 2 am Sunday morning.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason

Last edited by iraiam; October 9, 2013 at 06:20 PM. Reason: added content
Old October 9, 2013, 08:02 PM   #19
NWPilgrim

First, why do you think you have to put the Garand up just because #41 primers re not available? I've loaded thousands of rounds with CCI and Win LR primers and never had a slam fire in either of my three Garands.

And I always keep my rifle pointed down range when loading a round so even if there is a slamfire it is not in anyway dangerous. Are you basing your decision on rumor and unfounded fear, or actual bad experience?

Second, I won't even get into the silliness of blaming Midway for the timing. Iraiam covered that aspect perfectly.

Third, I will help you out, albeit not with #41. Listed below are several sources with LR primers in stock now. And I won't even let the rest of the world know, except our buddies on TheFiringLine.

Wideners as S&B LR primers in stock (I think they might have some CCI LR Magnum too):
http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.c...r=278|284|1589

Powder Valley has CCI Large Rifle Benchrest and Magnum primers in stock; and some Winchester LR and LRM primers in stock:
http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/

Natchez shooting Supply has CCI LR Magnum
http://www.natchezss.com/Category.cf...ers%201000/box

Cabela's has Remington LR primers in stock:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoot...3Bcat333152280
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old October 10, 2013, 07:06 PM   #20
Hoggrydr11

your problems

There is a lot of fine folks on this board and a lot of them are on this post too. First, I think you need to stop blaming Midway, I have been doing business with them for longer than 20 years and I know they will correct any problem, wether it is their fault or not. Midway USA is the best in their business as far as I am concerned and I have had no problems with them. They have the best people and the best customer service that I have dealt with. I think the problem is yours and you need to grow up!
Old October 12, 2013, 06:27 AM   #21
4V50 Gary
Staff

Enough!