The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old October 4, 2013, 01:28 PM   #1
Tactical Jackalope

Threaded barrel, suppressor, and questions galore.

Alright. I've wanted a suppressor for a while now and I'm finally going to get the wheels in motion. Just getting the small things in order prior to the final piece of my puzzle. The suppressor itself.

I'm pretty set on this one.

Need to go through the process when I have enough to buy that all at once and send my tax stamp, etc, etc. (I'm still not even 100% positive on how that's supposed to work. I figured I'd just ask my buddies at the gun shop.)

The host..I have 12 handguns now. My CCW which I've settled on for the last year now is a Glock 19. I unholster my Glock 19 before bed, attach the TLR-1's if it's not already attached from CC earlier that night anyways and throw in a 33rd mag. I've heavily invested in my Glock 19 so I want to also screw in the suppressor before bed and call it a night.

I'm now running a Rattac threaded barrel in my Glock 19. So all I'll have to do is remove the thread protector if it's on and screw on my suppressor for HD along with everything else I said. Rather than go through my safe and fish out one of my SIG's, M&P's, or other Glock's.

So I'm set on: Glock 19 & Evo-9

The questions:

If your CCW is also your nightstand gun and you're running a suppressor, is it a bad idea to keep the threaded barrel on when you aren't running the suppressor for normal CC? In terms of legalities and such.

Does anyone here shoot with the thread protector on? I hear they unscrew themselves or it's not too good to do if it heats up and what not.

I really don't mind keeping the threaded barrel on all the time. I want to run it a lot before I put a can on it to really break it in and make sure it's reliable.

Also if someone can clear up the way to a suppressor in Florida that would be great. I had a good run down with a forum member here who's highly knowledgeable on the matter. Just want to see other people experiences.
Old October 4, 2013, 07:35 PM   #2
Rob62

Let me address part of your question. A justifiable shoot is a justifiable shoot, period.

In other words, if you are legally justified in using deadly force (i.e. shooting someone) it will not matter what you use to do that with. With one big caveat or nuance - and that is as long as what you are using is legal to own where you are. (Edited to add - If you end up shooting someone without proper justification I think you will have bigger issues than what you used to shoot that person with)

So whether or not you have a threaded barrel on the gun you use to legally shoot someone (use deadly force) will not matter. If you were to have a suppressor on it that would not matter either - *as long as the use of the deadly force was justified.*

Now with that said. In the civil suit that is sure to follow, brought on by the person's relatives who you shot. There is no doubt you will be portrait as a blood thirsty killer who even "keeps a silencer" on their gun to shoot people with.

Keep in mind that there will almost always be a civil trial after the use of deadly force. About why you shot poor little Johnny who accidentally broke into your house and really didn't mean you or your family any harm.

My personal advise is do EVERYTHING you can to avoid ever using deadly force. Even if that means retreating in your own home, as long as you can do it safely - even if there is no legal requirement or obligation to do so. But in the same token do not be afraid to use deadly force - but absolutely only if there is NO other option.

Regards,

Rob
Old October 4, 2013, 09:04 PM   #3
JustinBiscuit

From what I'm told Glocks are hit or miss suppressed. My hosts are Sig and HK and work fine.

I would also look at a .45 can. They will suppress both 9mm and .45.

Finally I avoid the evo and get a ti-rant (.45) You will want both 1/2-28
and M13.5 X 1LH
Old October 5, 2013, 01:07 AM   #4
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constantine
So I'm set on: Glock 19 & Evo-9
Just out of curiosity, why are you set on an Evo-9? It's a previous-generation suppressor; there are newer ones on the market now that are better in every way. The only reason I can think of to get an Evo-9 is if your dealer is giving you a great deal. There's nothing wrong with getting that suppressor, but if I'm going to spend all that money, pay $200 for the transfer tax, and wait at least 8 months, I want the latest and best suppressor I can get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob62
A justifiable shoot is a justifiable shoot, period.
Sure, when it comes to pure self-defense and the law, but if your shooting just happens to go to trial things can always influence the jury for better or for worse. Do you think the use of a suppressor might be a negative influence on the jury? I'm not saying don't use a suppressor for home defense, but thinking it can never have an influence on the legal outcome of a justifiable self-defense shooting is naive at best.

This was recently covered at length in this thread:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533110

As far as your host, a Glock is not the best suppressor host due to the looser chambers on the factory barrels. But factory threaded barrels are very hard to come by right now, so most people use a tighter match-chambered barrel like a Storm Lake or Jarvis or KKM, etc. (I'm assuming Rattac barrels are also tighter match-grade barrels). So with those barrels you're sacrificing the reliability of the looser factory barrels for the slightly quieter and tighter aftermarket barrels. And I've never had a thread protector loosen up on me, but I also almost never shoot my Glock 19 with my Storm Lake threaded barrel when I'm not using my Octane 9 on it: The factory barrel is more reliable so I use it whenever I'm not using my suppressor.

As for the specifics of getting a suppressor in Florida, I have no idea.
Old October 6, 2013, 06:19 PM   #5
tmorone

+1 to what theohazard said about the evo9, there are better cans on the market right now for the same or less money.

That's coming from a die-hard AAC fan who ALMOST bought one, until my dealer turned me on to the Octane HD.. which I've been extremely happy with. I also run it on a Glock 19 (among others) and it works quite well.

For carry with the threaded barrel, go for it. The only reason I take that barrel out of that gun for a non-threaded version for CC is when I carry appendix. The extended barrel sometimes finds a way to chew up my groin area- ruining an otherwise pleasant carry experience
Old October 7, 2013, 12:29 PM   #6
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob62
Let me address part of your question. A justifiable shoot is a justifiable shoot, period.
I don't know enough to weigh in on the choice of cans or barrels, but I do know enough to weigh in on this.

The whole "good shoot is a good shoot" line (or "justifiable shoot," if you prefer) sounds all nice and neat, but it's also wrong. A good shoot is only a good shoot after the police, investigators, prosecuting attorney, judge and maybe jury (or some combination thereof) have looked at the circumstances and decided that it is a good shoot.
Old October 7, 2013, 10:37 PM   #7
Darker Loaf

On thread protectors unscrewing themselves: yes, yes they do. I don't own a suppressor, but my thread protector, at least, will unscrew itself pretty quickly. While you could put something to prevent that on the threads (like locktite), my thread protector is larger than the slide of my gun, which would prevent disassembling.

One solution to that problem would be to swap barrels in and out. One for CC (like your factory barrel), and one for home. Or, you could just leave it on for CC, because you won't be firing your gun. I'm not sure if they'd come off with just CC use, but I've had knife screws work out that way.
Old October 8, 2013, 05:59 PM   #8
lcpiper

Quote:
A good shoot is only a good shoot after the police, investigators, prosecuting attorney, judge and maybe jury (or some combination thereof) have looked at the circumstances and decided that it is a good shoot.
Are you sure you have thought this all the way through?

I mean, let me take it right down the line for you.
First off, you are going to fire suppressed and assuming the threat is armed with a gun as well, he will probably not be firing suppressed. Someone's ears are going to be hurting bad but it will be yours more then his if you are suppressed.
Second, you would do much better with a shotgun if it comes down to shooting. The pistol is great for when you first wake up until you can get to the shotgun, but the shotgun is a superior defense tool compared to a handgun.
And as Spats said, there are some people who have to be convinced you were forced to shoot, that silencer is not going to help in some cases.

This just sounds like a bad idea all the way around to me.