The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 8, 2013, 01:48 PM   #1
7n6

Ij-70 makarov

Ive been wanting a makarov for a while now and one just popped up in my area but he wants 350 for it. It comes with 3 mags 2 grips and the holster and a couple hundred rounds of silver bear.

This seems high to me, because when I hear people talking about Maks they only pay like 150-250 for them. But when I look online theyre all right around 300.

So whats a good price for a Russian Ij-70 Makarov?

Also while im at it whats the accuracy and reliability like?
Old September 8, 2013, 02:05 PM   #2
Pilot

I have four Maks, two Bulgarians, and East German and a Commercial Russian IJ-70. The only minor negative some consider to the IJ-70 is the adjustable rear sight, but I've never had a problem with mine even carrying it on occasion but prefer to carry a Bulgarian due to the fixed rear sight.

The IJ-70 will be accurate and extremely reliable, but I do think $350 is high. $200 - $250 will get you a nice IJ-70 if you look a bit.
Old September 8, 2013, 02:38 PM   #3
North Bender

I agree that $200 - $250 is a good price - 10 years ago.

As the SB ammo is worth some $15 per box of 50 the "couple hundred rounds" figures in to the price. If it's 200 rounds, that's $60 off the price of the pistol. A 3rd magazine is a great bonus - they cost $20 now. So the pistol price is now down to $270. The holster and grips do not add much value. That's a good deal and I would buy it right away.
Old September 8, 2013, 02:53 PM   #4
Pilot

Not considering the ammo, I've been seeing Russian Commercial Maks go for $200 - $250 recently in my area. Ten years ago they were $150 or so.

East Germans and even Bulgies are going for much more.
Old September 8, 2013, 02:54 PM   #5
NWPilgrim

Ij-70 makarov

I have one and it is very accurate. This is largely due to the fixed barrel design of the Mak. It is a very robust, solid pistol.

Look on line for Makarov fluff and buff for pictures and description of how to slick up the trigger pull and feed ramp. My Russian Mak sliced up the web of my hand from the sharp bottom edges of the slide in recoil. I filed and sanded those off. Now it works very smooth with no slicing and dicing.
Old September 8, 2013, 02:57 PM   #6
7n6

Seems pretty mixed looking across the internet. I think I can live with 270 for the pistol just cuz I want one so much. Im just trying to make sure I dont get completely ripped off, as long as it runs good I dont see myself selling it.
Old September 8, 2013, 03:08 PM   #7
pelo801

I agree along the lines of what north bender said. It's not a screaming a deal. But it's not completely out of line either. If you want one, I'd say go for it. I really doubt you'll regret it.
Old September 8, 2013, 03:16 PM   #8
North Bender

Pilot if you see them for $200 you can certainly make money on each one you buy.
Old September 8, 2013, 03:49 PM   #9
Herr Walther

The last IJ-70 I bought was $125 in 1998. THose were considered the bottom of the barrel Mak's, even behind the Chinese.

E. German were the most sought after, with the Bulgarian coming in second.
"...a historian asked what had happened to the German people for them to accept a criminal government. Unfortunately, nothing needed to happen. In nations across the world people accept government crime."
-------------------------------------
"In democracies as well as dictatorships, subordinates illegally obey their rulers. Subordinates who remain true to their oaths of office by opposing their rulers are rare."
Old September 8, 2013, 05:53 PM   #10
GyMac

The price may be a little high, but not much. I have 4 Makarovs and my commercial Russian may be the most accurate of the bunch. But I think it's more the design than anything else - it's known for its accuracy. I don't care too much for the adjustable rear sight but it hasn't caused a problem and it does serve its purpose. I've gotten 15 yard groups of 1 1/2 inches despite the heavy commercial trigger pull.
Old September 8, 2013, 06:03 PM   #11
Doyle

Quote:
The last IJ-70 I bought was $125 in 1998. THose were considered the bottom of the barrel Mak's, even behind the Chinese
ONLY because they have no collector value. Quality wise, they are just as good as a Russian milspec.
Old September 10, 2013, 02:56 AM   #12
JimmyR

I don't know that I would pay $350 for what he's offering. It's not a horrible price for what he is selling, but not really good either. I'd try to talk him down to $300, maybe pay $325 depending on the brand/condition of the holster and grips and just how many rounds of ammo he's offering. If they are NIB Makawraps and an Alessi holster, it makes the deal a lot better than an Uncle Mike's nylon holster and a set of old beat up Pearce grips.
Old September 10, 2013, 05:34 AM   #13
qwiksdraw

You might want to counter offer with a lower bid like you said, $325. However, if you really want a Mak, and I can understand that, don't pass up the deal for $25. Three months from now you won't even be thinking of price and will be glad you bought it.

Consider this:
Makarov: $200
2 extra Mags 40
2 Grips 35
ammo 25
holster 10
Total $310

Parts and accessories based on prices (w/o tax & shipping) at http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufact...arov-33376.htm

My Russian Commercial is easy to shoot, consistent and accurate.
Old September 10, 2013, 03:14 PM   #14
JNad

I have a love / hate relationship with my IJ-70. Mine came to me as a .380, and it was unreliable, but it was also RIDICULOUSLY accurate. I couldn't bring myslef to get rid of it, because I shot it so well. So, I bought a barrel press and a 9X18 barrel for it. The swap is made, but I don't have any 9X18 ammo yet, so I haven't shot it. I expect the same accuracy, and I am hoping for more reliability. Even if I don't get it, I don't expect I would sell mine. If you want one, buy it. I don't think it sounds like an unreasonable price. I just saw a Bulgy in the LGS (one week ago) with only one mag for $300.