The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old July 24, 2013, 02:31 PM   #26
csmsss

Quote:
Someone once said that the biggest users of .22 shot shells were the makers of fake "antique" furniture. ???
It's called "distressing" - a technique to make brand new furniture look old/antique. Such places will also apply faux stains and dyes to the wood, deliberately tarnish the hardware, etc., to fool unknowledgeable folks into thinking that sideboard made last month in a Pakistani garage came out of a Philadelphia carpenter's shop in 1779.

Such fakes/forgeries/frauds are easy to spot if you are knowledgeable; however, there are many folks out there with more money than sense who fall for these pieces. They see something on Antiques Roadshow appraised for $30k and assume that a similar piece they see in a flea market or swap meet is equally valuable because it "looks old".
Old July 24, 2013, 02:33 PM   #27
Hawg

Quote:
Someone once said that the biggest users of .22 shot shells were the makers of fake "antique" furniture. ???
Making worm holes.
Old July 24, 2013, 03:02 PM   #28
dogspit

.22 Snakeshot Scares Cat's

I know they scare the heck out of cats:}

photo sharing sites
Old July 24, 2013, 03:50 PM   #29
jad0110

Once. Killed a copperhead from about 6' with a head shot using a 5.5" Heritage Rough Rider. It appeared that about all the pellets stuck him right behind the head.
Old July 24, 2013, 04:26 PM   #30
80viking

"csmsss "they will kill squirrels if you shoot them in the face close up'

You must be an exceptional stalker. About the closest I've ever gotten to a squirrel out in the woods is about thirty feet - inside my parents' house, I was quite lucky to get within ten feet of them."

You wait for them to poke their head out of the eaves on your house that the cute little bastard chewed a hole in to.
Old July 24, 2013, 09:10 PM   #31
spaniel

It really depends what you are shooting them out of.

I have a Remington pump action .22 smoothbore...choked. I've killed sparrows at 15 yards or so. Rats in a barn at around 30 feet, dead on impact.

I had an incident where a neighbor let his dogs run loose, and one day they came after my 18-mo-old daughter. My own dog protected her, that's the only reason she was not chewed up in the seconds before I got there. They called me a liar and continued to let the dogs run. A month later, they were back in my yard. Not wanting to start a neighborhood war, I did not want to kill them. I got them both in the butt from about 10-15 yards with that .22 birdshot gun. I have never heard a dog howl like that, they dragged their butts halfway home.

But they were not permanently injured. And they never set paw on my property again.
Old July 25, 2013, 05:03 PM   #32
SgtLumpy

Quote:
I have a Remington pump action .22 smoothbore...choked.
That's an interesting sounding gun. Is it designed just for 22 shot shells?

Sgt Lumpy
Old July 26, 2013, 03:43 PM   #33
boostedtt91

I personally have never used them on a small animal before, but after shooting a few of them i don't see how they would really do anything except **** them off. Maybe if you shot something very small at point blank range they might be affective.
Old July 26, 2013, 10:26 PM   #34
GP100man

My version is a formed 357max case that`ll fit in a GPs cyl . .It`ll hold twice the shot that the store bought stuff will hold !!

Old July 26, 2013, 11:09 PM   #35
BuckRub

I've killed rats about 7-8' away. They'd probably kill a squirel if you put the barrel against his head (I said maybe). If you have a coon hound I seen a lot of people use 22 rat shot to trash break dogs. It just stinks them at about 5 feet away. I even shot a snake with 38 shotshells only to **** him off. For snakes use a shotgun or a shovel.
Old July 26, 2013, 11:57 PM   #36
bamaranger

rats

We had a major rat problem out in the shed/dog runs couple of years back and bama boy and I had nightly rat hunts. From a .22 rifle single shot you could kill a rat at 10 feet or so. We shot the crimped W-W type as the plastic nosed CCI's seemed pricey. We shot (and no doubt hit) quite a few that ran off.
Old July 27, 2013, 11:57 AM   #37
jv2000

Interesting discussion...

I've been curious about using 22 shot shells so this is interesting ... i'll have to get some just to play around with.
Old July 27, 2013, 12:52 PM   #38
ripnbst

22 LR shotshells

I don't advise putting alot of them through a well liked rifled barrel.

If you've got an old "beater" .22 or a smooth bore .22 then go nuts.
Old July 27, 2013, 01:17 PM   #39
Tom Matiska

I used them twice out of a 22 revolver. Once on a small snake at a few feet. Once to bolster the confidence of a youth having trouble knocking over his first soda can
Old July 29, 2013, 09:44 PM   #40
44 AMP
Staff

My experience with handgun shotshells in general is that they are maddeningly ineffective when you want them to be effective, and distressingly destructive when you don't expect them to be.

Have shot some over the years, but never used the .22LR version on any animals. Note that the ones with the crimped ends usually won't cycle through an autoloader. .22LR shotshells are usually loaded with #12 shot aka dust. (there is a smaller one, "fine dust), .22 mag shells are usually loaded with #11s and do work on small things at short range, usually.

Centerfire shotshells for handguns are usually loaded with #9 shot, and results can be amazing, in both directions.

A friend of mine has had some of the oddest results. He has some shotshells that cycle in his 9mm (don't know the brand). Shooting squirrels at 20ft, he said it was like a shooting gallery. Each time he shot, the squirrel would stop, and change direction. Never did land a lethal (or even visibly damaging) hit. Later shot a feral cat, at 20 yards, one shot DRT. Same gun, same ammo, same shooter, 3 times the distance on an animal several times as big. Go figure....

I can tell you from personal experience that 2.5" .410 shells from a Contender do work quite well on vermin at across the barn distance.
Old July 29, 2013, 10:06 PM   #41
Jeremiah/Az

I have killed many many rattlesnakes with .22 snake shot. Always have a derringer in my pocket for that. I can only recall havin' to shoot one snake twice to kill it. Now I am talkin' about 6 foot range here.
Old July 29, 2013, 10:50 PM   #42
45YearsShooting

I shot at box of .22 LR shotshells out of a revolver. These were the crimped variety. Then, I noticed that with regular bullets it was spraying them all over the place with no accuracy. The shotshells had leaded the barrel so severely it was now a smoothbore. It was a real pain "getting the lead out".

I assume the CCI shotshells with a clear plastic tip holding the shot may not lead a barrel like this, but don't know. I will never use the crimped .22 shotshells again.
Old July 30, 2013, 07:57 AM   #43
Rifleman1776

My experience is they are very ineffective.
We had a house infested with chipmunks. I eliminated them with .22 mag. shotshells. Those are very effective. And have used same on snakes.
Old August 1, 2013, 10:17 PM   #44
Big4Freedom

@Azmark-
That's a great snake story with the 2.5" #7.5! Sounds like he was instantly taken care of. I will give that or the #12 a try in the shorter shell and see how that goes.

I've never fired the Judge but would like to try it for comparison.

Big
Old August 3, 2013, 10:06 PM   #45
spaniel

"Quote:
I have a Remington pump action .22 smoothbore...choked.
That's an interesting sounding gun. Is it designed just for 22 shot shells?

Sgt Lumpy"

Yes. Would need to look at the gun for the model number. Very effective.
Closed Thread