The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 27, 2013, 08:39 AM   #1
shastaboat

WTB LEE Precission items

I'm looking for new or used LEE Lead Hardness Tester and LEE 3 hole turret head. Eamil me if you have either for sale. LEE is out of stock and backordered on both.
Old June 27, 2013, 09:53 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

When you have five more posts on the forum, you'll be able to access the Gun Show Forum and you'll likely get more response there.

I have found my Lee Hardness tester tends to read high. That is, every alloy I've tried, from pure lead to lead tin alloy that I've carefully made myself to commercial bullets have consistently provided numbers 3-5 BHN higher than expected or claimed. I don't know why. I've run through the BHN formula and the tables appear to be correct, so either the spring is weak or the microscope reticule is off. I have found the LBT tester to be more accurate, so you may want to consider that option. I don't see any sign of it being unavailable. It does cost more.

Re the turret, at this moment Midway claims to have them in stock for $10, but you'll have shipping on that. Amazon seem to have one for half-again more money, but I haven't checked the shipping. If the Amazon shipping is enough cheaper, the net price to your door may be no different. You'll have to check that out for yourself.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old June 27, 2013, 03:20 PM   #3
Forrest68

Yes, Midway has the 3 hole in stock just recieved mine.