The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 14, 2013, 01:36 PM   #1
30-378

New to reloading and have questions

Well I finally talked my dad in to reloading we bought a rcbs rock chucker supreme master kit at cabelas last week the press was in the bargain cave and the powder despencer was broken but we were able to switch them out there and we got all the shell plates that we need to do the loads that we want and also picked up full length sizing die sets for 300 win mag and 223 along with a nosler number seven reloading book.
I've read through the rifle section in the speer reloading manual.

We are going to reload 223, 300 win mag, 7mm wby mag, 44 rem mag, 40 s&w, and 357 mag for know and might add 45 acp, 9 mm, 380, and 30-06 later

So starting questions

Powder despencer will not adjust the powder charge on either the gauge screw or the hex connected to it and also the black circle has play side to side any help on that

We can get the rcbs chargemaster for 290$ and I think we should get it for safety and accuracy for 300 win loads.

Should we get a stainless tumbler for cleaning brass I know the entail start up is expensive but believe the brass gets cleaner faster and the pins last for ever.

We well for the moment be reloading our own once fired brass to reload do we need a case trimmer?

We are getting the 500 speer bullets from the rcbs promo and are getting the 200 gr 44s any negatives about the bullets.

Any thing else we need?
Old June 14, 2013, 01:59 PM   #2
steve4102

The first thing you need to do is take your Powder measure completely apart and clean it real good. That is to get all the grease and oils off all the internal and external parts. Oil and grease will cause the powder to stick and give you all kinds of problems. I use Brake-cleaner for my clean up jobs. Just keep it off the plastic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKbLxq2UrXw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_b4WFvdfg0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNqNC6EBkZY
Old June 14, 2013, 03:19 PM   #3
mehavey

s Steve says, take the Powder dispenser fully apart and clean/degrease it. Then you'll also see how it works when you put it back togther too.

Quote:
We can get the rcbs chargemaster for 290$
With all you're planning on loading, get it -- and not just for the 300Winnie. That scale does everything but slice bread.

Quote:
Should we get a stainless tumbler
I recommend a standard tumbler using PetsMart walnut shells to start. Pins are advanced cleaning, require you to dry the brass afterward, and (in my bumble[sic] opinion) nor needed. (I still use Walnut for everything -- for years now)

Quote:
We will for the moment be reloading our own once fired brass to reload do we need a case trimmer?
Probably not yet. But consider it on the same order as the ChargeMaster if you do.

Quote:
We are getting the 500 speer bullets from the rcbs promo and are getting the 200 gr 44s any negatives about the bullets.
Not knowing exactly what Speer bullets you are getting, I can't say. But Speer is invariably/absolutely top notch in everything they produce.
Old June 14, 2013, 03:30 PM   #4
David Bachelder

"Powder dispenser will not adjust the powder charge on either the gauge screw or the hex connected to it and also the black circle has play side to side any help on that."
Call RCBS they will help you if cleaning it up doesn't solve the problem. They will also send any new parts if needed. RCBS has a lifetime warranty, you paid for it use it.

"We can get the rcbs chargemaster for 290$ and I think we should get it for safety and accuracy for 300 win loads."
Agree, be sure to print out the RCBS rebate form, you can get $50.00 back. Also get the barcode off the box the kit came in. You can send it in with the rebate form if needed.

"Should we get a stainless tumbler for cleaning brass I know the entail start up is expensive but believe the brass gets cleaner faster and the pins last for ever."
I use a Lymon tumbler, but the owners of wet pin systems sure do brag a lot. They must be nice.

"We well for the moment be reloading our own once fired brass to reload do we need a case trimmer?"
For the rifle brass, yes. I have never trimmed straight wall pistol brass, but some folks do.

Speer bullets? I really don't know much about them. I like Hornady a lot.

"Any thing else we need?"
That list goes on forever. Get a case reamer/deburring tool, caliper (I personally prefer digital), reloading trays ........ you know, all the cool stuff.

I suggest you get some Hornady LNL bushings and the adapter (assuming your RockChucker has the 1 1/4 X 7/8" bushing in the top of it and most do. Remove and save the bushing, insert the Hornady LNL Press adapter, load all your dies into the LNL bushings and after the dies are set you wont have to fool with them again. The LNL system works great on the RockChucker.

I also suggest you buy RCBS dies. In my opinion they are superior to most other brands and the RCBS customer service is legendary.
Old June 14, 2013, 03:53 PM   #5
g.willikers

How about a run out gauge to check if everything is straight?
Bullet to case, case neck, 'etc.
Old June 14, 2013, 04:23 PM   #6
30-378

Thank you all for the replays and the one thing I did not state exactly is that the whole powder metering asembly does not move I have tried a cresant wrench on the hex part both ways and pliers on the screw and nether will move and the bleach cylinder goes side to side but I guess if we get the charge master we will not Need it and can just send it back to rcbs for replacement. And thanks on the other info and I agree that rcbs is the best on dies but have not tried hornady yet but I think I'm stuck on the green

Also bad news the rcbs promo does not include the bullets any more because of demand and what does not make sense is the bullets cost 375$ if bought and know we can only get a 50 $ rebate! does that make sense how that is the same please
Old June 14, 2013, 09:43 PM   #7
Tomas

You absolutely need a case trimmer if you're reloading once fired brass for a semi-auto platform. Heck, you really need one anyways, as the rifle casings will stretch. A case neck gauge will be important here as well for .223 semis, as will a way to get the primer crimp out of any military/NATO 5.56 brass you may use.
Old June 15, 2013, 01:43 PM   #8
Lost Sheep

Analog vs digital (mechanical vs electronic)

Whether you have the Chargemaster or not, get a balance-beam scale. ALL digital scales should be checked (either with check weights or a beam scale, or both) frequently.

The Lee scale is only $25-$30 and is as accurate as any, but not so easy to read. But it can serve to verify your Chargemaster's powder drops.

Welcome to the forum and to reloading.

Lost Sheep
Old June 15, 2013, 02:50 PM   #9
buck460XVR

Quote:
Whether you have the Chargemaster or not, get a balance-beam scale.
The kit should have come with a RCBS 505 scale.
Old June 15, 2013, 07:18 PM   #10
David Bachelder

"The kit should have come with a RCBS 505 scale."

Mine did and I still have it. It's very accurate and I use it to double check the Charge Master. I thought about selling it ..... but ..... no way. I'll keep it around.
Old June 15, 2013, 07:22 PM   #11
30-378

It does come with the 505 scale and just playing around with it it seams to be a grain heavy and I know that I can adjust that but is it the adjustment screw on the weight to the left of the beam and do I need a check weight for that also
Old June 15, 2013, 07:42 PM   #12
overthere

You adjust the zero on the beam scale by adjusting the 'height' using the white 'foot' on the left side.

If you put the scale on a level surface and adjust the 'height' you will see it adjusts the zero.
Old June 25, 2013, 01:12 AM   #13
Oldbuck30

Lost New guy

I apologize for my ignorance but can't figure out how to post new thread and not just reply, any help would be appreciated.
Old June 25, 2013, 07:47 AM   #14
Uncle Buck

Welcome to the wonderful world of reloading.

The powder dispenser can be a bugger to figure out if you do not have someone to show you how it works. I tried to use the micro scale on the screw to adjust my powder charge and could not even come close.

You fiddle with it and weigh the charges as you adjust. Once it is locked down it holds the setting pretty good, but I still weigh every tenth charge, just for piece of mind.

Also, on the bottom of the dispenser is a charge tube. Make sure you have the larger one on it. The smaller one can cause bridging and you will get inconsistent throws.

The round black piece that your handle attaches to is supposed to be "loose", it allows it to rotate back and forth more easily.

RCBS has a wonderful support team that will walk you through the process of setting up and using the equipment and there are also excellent videos available on you tube that can help if you hate trying to do anything with a phone stuck to your ear.

You will need a case trimmer eventually. Like the others say, you are going to see the cases stretch.

You will also need a dial caliper, to measure your brass and finished round.

Besides the book the came with the kit, you should also get at least one other reloading manual. I have several and they come in handy for double checking information and looking for loads.
Old June 25, 2013, 11:20 AM   #15
Texascoonhunter

New to Relooading

I read most of the replies you have received on this post. All are very good and should help you starting out. I might suggest buying and using a chamber gage for your rifle cartridges. After loading a few rounds, periodically stop and check a few completed rounds in the chamber gage. Instructions come with the gage. It will let you know if you are producing good rounds or if you have problems.
Old June 25, 2013, 09:53 PM   #16
grisbald

Once you get started, watch some videos on youtube and you will start to see stuff that you might need or help in your reloading. I ended up buying a lot of more stuff once I got started. One thing I didn't see in some of the responses is a powder trickler. Makes dropping those last half a grain or so easy.
Old June 28, 2013, 12:29 AM   #17
dmazur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbuck30
can't figure out how to post new thread
At the top and bottom of the list of threads in a Forum (not visible when a thread has been opened), there is a blue button labeled "New Thread".